Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,087,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You did that all on your own? I'm proud of kshe95girl.

Did you check the voltage of the battery on the tractor?

I hope you checked in with the county to get a permit for that shed. You can't just build a structure on your property (thanks to control freak libs)?

Reno'd the MB? Awesome. You obviously know 'ish rolls down hill. The rest is all a few weekends of HGTV.

HGTV is the enemy of design professionals like me.
Please dont presume to tell me how to do my job.
Changing an alternator is easy.....restoring a 69 SS Chevelle with original parts is more my style.
You cant stand it that women know how to do mechanical things, can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,532,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Considering most MEN have not a clue about HVAC i think you are reaching . I have enough street sense to known when i'm getting thrown a snow job my friend. And no place i've ever called for repairs charged for estimates so those 300 dollar bills don't exist .
Then you start of completely on the wrong foot.

There's no way they could accurately tell you that you have bad windings on your compressor without spending at least 1.5 hours on your unit. No company is going to come out and give you an honest answer without delving into the details and none of them do that for free.

What they will do is send a salesperson out and they'll ask you what's wrong. Push a few buttons on the t-stat and send you a replace cost for a new system.

You'd have to pay at least one person to delve into your system to know you truly did need a replacement however occasionally if you stick with the same service company you might be able to recoup that cost if you go with a full replacement. Of course, that first diagnosis cost will be worked into the replacement cost.

Look I'm not downing on women or saying they can't make these decisions themselves. I'm just saying that in a relationship with a man you're not going to do all of these things without talking to him and if you care about your realtionship at least weighing his opinion/s.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,317,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Then you start of completely on the wrong foot.

There's no way they could accurately tell you that you have bad windings on your compressor without spending at least 1.5 hours on your unit. No company is going to come out and give you an honest answer without delving into the details and none of them do that for free.

What they will do is send a salesperson out and they'll ask you what's wrong. Push a few buttons on the t-stat and send you a replace cost for a new system.

You'd have to pay at least one person to delve into your system to know you truly did need a replacement however occasionally if you stick with the same service company you might be able to recoup that cost if you go with a full replacement. Of course, that first diagnosis cost will be worked into the replacement cost.

Look I'm not downing on women or saying they can't make these decisions themselves. I'm just saying that in a relationship with a man you're not going to do all of these things without talking to him and if you care about your realtionship at least weighing his opinion/s.
That's funny because when my air went down they sent out a tech who gave me an estimate for free, and then repaired it rather then replaced it. I dare say you are allowing your imagination to run wild here.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That's funny because when my air went down they sent out a tech who gave me an estimate for free, and then repaired it rather then replaced it. I dare say you are allowing your imagination to run wild here.
Everyone gives free estimates.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,270,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
HGTV is the enemy of design professionals like me.
Please dont presume to tell me how to do my job.
Changing an alternator is easy.....restoring a 69 SS Chevelle with original parts is more my style.
You cant stand it that women know how to do mechanical things, can you?
Personally, I don't understand men who feel threatened by women who can build and fix things.

My dad was asking me to hand him tools when I was 5 and he took great pride in telling people I knew more about cars at 10 then most men.

I sent a disreputable A/C repairman on his way just last year when he tried giving me a line about the wiring. Saved us $380 and my husband was happy as a clam.

Of course we're talking very secure men here.

(Chevelle's were great cars. Wonderful lines.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-20-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,224,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Personally, I don't understand men who feel threatened by women who can build and fix things.

My dad was asking me to hand him tools when I was 5 and he took great pride in telling people I knew more about cars at 10 then most men.

I sent a disreputable A/C repairman on his way just last year when he tried giving me a line about the wiring. Saved us $380 and my husband was happy as a clam.

Of course we're talking very secure men here.

(Chevelle's were great cars. Wonderful lines.)
I grew up on a farm exactly the same way. My husband and I have remodeled a couple of houses together--we make a very good team. We're both very handy people. What we don't know starting out, we can usually learn pretty quickly. That said, we'd call a repairman for the HVAC. One of the nice things about living near a small town is that you know everyone, so disreputable contractors tend to go out of business quickly, and you know who you can trust.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM

438 posts, read 948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I applaud men who take justice in their own hands, but sadly they'll get in trouble due to the double standards created by white knights and feminists.

Tell that to a broad who thinks it's okay to do that to a man. I guess you people are fine with the double standards.
Are you in all seriousness suggesting that it is appropriate for a man to beat a woman who is saying nasty things to him? Really?

If a woman attacks a man physically, it is justifiable for him to defend himself, but in no other circumstance should he put hands on a woman. EVER.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,072,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Are you in all seriousness suggesting that it is appropriate for a man to beat a woman who is saying nasty things to him? Really?

If a woman attacks a man physically, it is justifiable for him to defend himself, but in no other circumstance should he put hands on a woman. EVER.
If she gets up in his face like she's going to attack, then I believe it's justifiable. And I definitely believe he should defend himself if she's crazy enough to strike first.

And if a man can't hit a woman for talking bad to him, then she shouldn't attack him for talking bad to her.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,619,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post

I have to agree with Pastelito here. Don't hit girls. Be a gentleman and treat them like the ladies they aren't.

Yes, these women are nasty and hypocritical, but a man should never strike a woman for her insulting provocations. That's what they want, in many cases. It's the bad boy syndrome. They won't respect you until they provoke you into doing something very wrong. But it's not worth the price.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You would think that with all the wonderful progress of feminism in the last century - the right to vote, the right to divorce at will, contraception and "the pill", the right to have their own children murdered in the womb, the right to romance without strings, the right to reject men for lesbianism, massive economic gains and financial independence, feminist domination of the American workplace, female dominance in academia, a majority of college graduates now being female, etc. etc. etc. - that women would be getting happier and happier and happier!

Instead the reverse is true. The more feminism gains, the more women lose. Women are becoming increasingly more miserable with every nail in the coffin of the patriarchy that once protected them. Read the data: The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness.
I think my Mom, who raised my brother and I as a single mother starting when we were pre-teens and can now relax knowing that her two sons are well-adjusted adults who are now contributing members of society, would strongly disagree. She never took a dime of public assistance, never knew unemployment, is now happily retired, and answers to no man. When I look back now over the 25 or so years since my parents divorced, I can't recall a moment when I observed my Mom to be unhappy about being independent and having the responsibilities and obligations that come with independence.

[the authors should have interviewed her - she would have enjoyed a good laugh]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies