Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents be able to circumcise their son?
Yes 206 75.74%
No 66 24.26%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 05:51 PM

369 posts, read 392,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What in God's name are you talking about?
Cut men, myself included always KNOW who isn't. They cover up and hide at the gym. They constantly have an "itch" and are always pawing at their crotch due to some trapped jungle rot. They always **** on the floor and are less than welcomed when a woman asks for them to "whip it out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
You know, I find it SO IRONIC that right-wingers scream about freedom and liberty while at the same time whacking part of their non-consenting son's penies off. It's comedy GOLD!
Uh, children have not reached the age of consent and so parents make decisions for them. Parents also decide if their dying non-consenting son needs heart surgery too. Legal guardians make medical decisions for the minors in their care. What's "comedy gold here" is your contention that this is a violation of liberty.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Uh, children have not reached the age of consent and so parents make decisions for them. Parents also decide if their dying non-consenting son needs heart surgery too. Legal guardians make medical decisions for the minors in their care. What's "comedy gold here" is your contention that this is a violation of liberty.
The thing is that in contrast to not performing heart surgery, not performing a circumcision (except in emergency cases) is not clearly worse than performing one. Thus, unless we are talking about emergency situations, I think that the child should decide in regards to this by himself once he is old enough to do so. After all, it is his body, and while parents have rights, I don't think that parental rights should be that broad in regards to this.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:10 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
How is controlling the physical intactness of ones one perfectly healthy body not a liberty issue? That seems to me to be just about the most fundamental liberty.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:11 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
How is controlling the physical intactness of ones one perfectly healthy body not a liberty issue? That seems to me to be just about the most fundamental liberty.
^

Agreed.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
I meant that generally. Cut off your foreskin if you want, but leave other males' foreskins alone.
I stand by my decision to have my son circumcised. And should I have another son, I'll probably do the same with him. That's because my reasons for doing so the first time haven't changed. I hear your argument that it's "his body" loud and clear. But frankly, as I just stated earlier, we as parents do a whole lot more to shape our kids' lives (without their consent) than this. So that's a rather weak argument, IMO, considering.

Everyone does what they believe is best. I happen to consider the benefits of circumcision to outweigh risks and perceived "negatives/shortcomings".

Old 05-31-2014, 06:13 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
The thing is that in contrast to not performing a heart surgery, not performing a circumcision (except in emergency cases) is not clearly worse than performing one. Thus, unless we are talking about emergency situations, I think that the child should decide in regards to this by himself once he is old enough to do so. After all, it is his body, and while parents have rights, I don't think that parental rights should be that broad in regards to this.
A parent's role is to protect his child - including protecting the child's fundamental rights and liberties from invasion until he is of an age to do that for himself. Elective circumcision is a parent Moderator cut: language all over his son's fundamental right to control his own body.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-31-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Lose View Post
Cut men, myself included always KNOW who isn't. They cover up and hide at the gym. They constantly have an "itch" and are always pawing at their crotch due to some trapped jungle rot. They always **** on the floor and are less than welcomed when a woman asks for them to "whip it out".
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2045140AAYezzw

Americans are use to a cut penis. It's not the same in other countries. Go to the UK and they will feel sorry for you and prefer a natural penis. Circumcised men in the UK hide their penis. It's simply a cultural or religious preference. I hope you realize this is only done as a whole in America, otherwise it's only done if you are Jewish or Muslim. It's only about 3% in England.
We have this in common with Middle Eastern countries and Africa.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-01-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
Like I've stated previously, circumcised male parents are not getting their sons cut. It's going out of practice in the U.S. because these men don't want the same for their sons. That says it all. In other countries if you are cut, they assume you are of a particular faith because nobody else has this done. It's only normal here. But that is changing and soon more boys and men with be un-cut than cut. So, I would take out the reason "culturally normal" from your decisions. That simply won't apply down the road.
In Germany for example it's seen as unlawful practice and harmful to the child. You aren't legally allowed to circumcise there.
People might want to foresee their sons traveling practices in the future. In case he might want to live in un-cut countries, etc. before they decide on what he will want done as culturally acceptable.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19072761

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-01-2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Leaving a link for educational purposes :)

Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Thanks Mom and Dad.

I don't need a wool sweater or a constant "jock itch" always pawing at my balls and crotch.
LOL, uh what?

Thanks Mom and Dad for not cutting off a piece of my member. It is said that circumcised men don't have as much of the sensation/feeling there when you have the skin chopped off early on in life-that sounds awful. Again, thanks Mom and Dad.

Maybe I am younger than most on here but it is not odd at all to be natural/normal anymore. Some people even assume that mostly just Jews still do it.

Quote:
Well apparently you have your eye on uncircumcised men. Why are you there when a woman asks them to "whip it out"?

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-01-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies