Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bloodthirsty?

So basically, you hate racoons, rabbits, coyotes, small alligators, oppossums and so on and so forth. Calling others bloodthirsty for fighting against a species that is sprawling all over Florida killing thousands of other animals is um.....wierd.
Not quite, so I suggest you read my earlier comments again... I said it's understandable if that's the best solution, but was unhappy at the GLEE some people were taking in the idea of killing these snakes. I'm not opposed to controlling a population as necessary, but some folks were a little too excited about the idea of killing them - hence the "bloodthirsty" comment.

And yes, I actually do hate (or at least dislike) those other animals you mentioned. Well, rabbits are pretty cute, although I'm not really into rodents in general. I have owned some rodents over the years, but snakes are so much easier to take care of, and much prettier to look at IMO.

Quote:
P.S. What's your biggest python? Burms and Retics 15+?
Nope, nothing that big! My biggest python is a Jungle Carpet, who isn't even full-grown yet... he's maybe 5ft now, and will probably top out around 6-6.5ft. My others consist of Ball Pythons, Spotted & Stimsons Pythons, Corn Snakes, and one adorable & friendly little Western Hognose. They all range in size from 3-5ft feet, and are all non-venomous constrictors except for the Hognose (who's a rear-fanged colubrid).

Btw, if you're really curious about my collection, you can see photos of them in my profile! That's part of the hobby aspect to owning snakes, as I'm an avid photographer and they make great subjects.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-23-2012 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
Yes I understand and agree to some of what you say. I still think, well, let me put it this way, dog people should rent in dog owner apt. buildings and cat people should rent in cat owner bldgs and snake people should rent in snake owner bldgs.
What about people who own more than one of those species, as millions of people do? Where should we live?

Around here we have more renters than homeowners, since the real estate is so ridiculously expensive. We're talking median home prices over $800K, so even professional over-30s like myself are forced to rent indefinitely! Unfortunately we also have a lack of dog-friendly complexes, so I'm pretty limited whenever I have to look for a new place - but my pets & I are a package deal, so I'm willing to pay extra (and/or compromise on location, size, etc) if it means finding someone who accepts the critters.

Quote:
I always ask if anyone has pets and what kind do they have so I can either move or make them move but I own my bldg.
As a landlord, you have the right to set any pet restrictions you want... and all prospective tenants should be made aware of your rules, and agree to them upon signing the lease. But as a neighbor, you have no right to complain about pets that a landlord allows & has approved. Well, unless a specific animal is truly posing a threat, being mistreated, and/or harassing you. One of my immediate neighbors is scared of snakes too, but when I told her about mine (we're quite friendly with each other), she was like "that's cool as long as you don't bring them over to my place!" Which of course I would never do, unless you specifically asked to meet one.

Quote:
The snakes I fear most, although I'm not too fond of any, are the large snakes and poisonous snakes. What gets me is how everyone says they are responsible pet owners and many just aren't. Your example of dog bites and deaths by dogs is a good one except dogs can be domesticated and trained but snakes cannot be trained, not that I have ever heard, and I think, although I could be wrong, I'm still learning here so be patient with me, but I think it's just a matter of time as more people own dangerous snakes and live like sardines in apt. bldgs, we will see more deaths and accidents from having snakes as pets.
I appreciate that you're willing to learn, and seem to be looking at this from a mostly logical standpoint... and while I don't recommend having GIANT snakes (or venomous ones) in an apartment, small snakes really aren't going to cause much of an issue. I've mostly lived in urban areas throughout my life, and people just learn to make do with the space we have - and generally know how to respect their neighbors.

Quote:
So many people have pets and then find they can't afford to feed them or get lazy when it comes to taking care of them. When it comes to snakes one just can't afford to get lazy or be in a budget crisis. I am upset that people just abandon their pets regardless of it's an animal or reptile I am not close to or one of my favorites. It's not fair to the pet that was raised being fed by the owner. Also, now I'm not saying this applies to you or anyone here but lets face it there are a lot of people who get snakes just to say hey look at me I'm a big man with a big you know what and feed the snake kittens and puppies just to say look how baddass they think they are.
Snakes are actually the best pet to have if you're lazy or budget-constrained, since they require very little care & money... one mouse (or rat for the bigger ones) every week or two, an occasional bedding change or water fill, and that's pretty much it! They also don't mind if you skip a feeding, since they often go months without food in the wild.

That being said, I don't recommended having any animals you can't care for properly - and completely agree with your comments on irresponsibly releasing snakes into the wild. But those are things only stupid people do, and it just isn't right to penalize the rest of us for their mistakes. As with the whole Pit Bull situation, we need to judge individual owners/pets, rather than condemning an entire species because of the bad ones. I also think education and enforcing responsible ownership is important, along with maybe increasing the penalties for those who aren't acting responsibly.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-22-2012 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not quite, so I suggest you read my earlier comments again... I said it's understandable if that's the best solution, but was unhappy at the GLEE some people were taking in the idea of killing these snakes. I'm not opposed to controlling a population as necessary, but some folks were a little too excited about the idea of killing them - hence the "bloodthirsty" comment.

And yes, I actually do hate (or at least dislike) those other animals you mentioned. Well, rabbits are pretty cute, although I'm not really into rodents in general. I have owned some rodents over the years, but snakes are so much easier to take care of, and much prettier to look at IMO.

Nope, nothing that big! My biggest python is a Jungle Carpet, who isn't even full-grown yet... he's maybe 5ft now, and will probably top out around 6-6.5ft. My others consist of Ball Pythons, Spotted & Stimsons Pythons, Corn Snakes, and one adorable & friendly little Western Hognose. They all range in size from 3-5ft feet, and are all non-venomous constrictors except for the Hognose (who's a rear-fanged colubrid).

Btw, if you're really curious about my collection, you can see photos of them in my profile! That's part of the hobby aspect to owning snakes, as I'm an avid photographer and they make great subjects.
Sweet, I will check them out. I'm really more of a venemous fan but for various family reasons I cannot keep snakes (especially not vens).

Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
So now I'm a sicko? Okay, I'm officially dubbing you completely clueless and ignorant on the subject - not to mention one of the most judgmental people I've encountered here. I mean, do you honestly think a person can have a heart attack and die from seeing a snake? Or that a court would prosecute the snake owner for such a thing? LOLOL. It would almost be worth the plane ticket to Europe, just to see the police officers laughing as you accused me of attempted murder for showing you a snake.

Btw, it is nearly impossible for a snake to escape from a professional rack, which is how I keep mine... and I'm an apartment renter too, so nice try but you just clearly aren't into helping animals. That's your prerogative, but don't try to fool me into thinking otherwise, and stop attempting to discuss something about which you have no clue or personal interest. If you've never seen a snake where you live and aren't even in this country, why does this issue matter to you anyway? Oh yeah, and nice attempt at back peddling, but you said earlier there are NO snake keepers in Europe.
Yes, I find it sick to keep snakes Call it judgmental, that is my opinion...

I don't think I said there are no snake KEEPERS, I guess I said there are no snakes in Europe. I lived in various European countries and never saw a wild snake in my whole life, not even here in the subtropical south. Thus there is no point in being able to tell them apart. The healthy default attitude is to avoid any snakes, can't hurt...

No, showing me pictures of snakes is fine, but if you put a real snake in front of me without asking me beforehand if it is alright, I would consider it a kind of attack as you must be aware that the default feeling the vast majority of people have for snakes is fear. And if I died from a heart attack, courts would not laugh about it at all.

I do help people, but not in my apartment, I donate to animal shelters. Great if your landlord is lenient, here if it says so in the contract, it is law and reason to be expelled.

This topic is of interest to me because I never quite understood why people keep animals as pets that don't have the brains to interact with humans the way dogs, cats or even mice, basically any mammal, but also many birds can. Snakes and spiders and fish are just so much below humans in terms of development that I can't understand it. I personally don't even want to be around a primitive person, let alone a primitive animal. For most people their pets are like friends, like replacements for humans.

I guess many of those keepers simply have the urge to diverge from the pet standard.

Last edited by Neuling; 02-23-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ummm, I'd have to say that no one owns a cat.
Cats have staff.
As someone with 6 cats (yeah, I know, one step from a hoarder) I have to agree. After all, they don't scoop out our toilets.

Quote:
You're a few years behind on that idea, as there's already a show called "Python Hunters" on Animal Planet... but unlike the blood-thirsty people here, they trap and RESCUE or simply observe the pythons they find.
Thanks for the info on Python Hunters, sounds like an interesting show. Just what is supposed to be done to "rescue" an overpopulation of 15-20' long snakes? It's not like there are that many people clamoring to adopt them and give them good homes. I might "adopt" a nice pair of python-skin boots though.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Catch them, hack them into pieces, and feed them to hungry animals in animal shelters and zoos

Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Okay, enough talk. We have gone 16 pages and over 150 posts, time to cut the chatter and get to work. These damn things have had a huge negative impact on native wildlife and need to be hunted and killed whenever and wherever they are encountered. Do we have to wait until a python kills a child and swallows it before getting going?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM

It's probably too late. There must be a huge number already and nobody knows when nature is saturated. After all, those snakes are very flexible and adaptable, they eat most anything that moves.
In a documentary on that topic they showed a map where a large part of the southern half of the US might sooner or later be conquered by those snakes. According to tests in North Carolina they can survive cold spills if they find places to hide.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, I find it sick to keep snakes Call it judgmental, that is my opinion...

I don't think I said there are no snake KEEPERS, I guess I said there are no snakes in Europe. I lived in various European countries and never saw a wild snake in my whole life, not even here in the subtropical south. Thus there is no point in being able to tell them apart. The healthy default attitude is to avoid any snakes, can't hurt...

No, showing me pictures of snakes is fine, but if you put a real snake in front of me without asking me beforehand if it is alright, I would consider it a kind of attack as you must be aware that the default feeling the vast majority of people have for snakes is fear. And if I died from a heart attack, courts would not laugh about it at all.

I do help people, but not in my apartment, I donate to animal shelters. Great if your landlord is lenient, here if it says so in the contract, it is law and reason to be expelled.

This topic is of interest to me because I never quite understood why people keep animals as pets that don't have the brains to interact with humans the way dogs, cats or even mice, basically any mammal, but also many birds can. Snakes and spiders and fish are just so much below humans in terms of development that I can't understand it. I personally don't even want to be around a primitive person, let alone a primitive animal. For most people their pets are like friends, like replacements for humans.

I guess many of those keepers simply have the urge to diverge from the pet standard.
I agree with what you said, except the sick part, but I must say I particularly agree with what I bolded. To me snakes, don't really have any personality. They are cold and not at all friendly and a huge waste of money.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Okay, enough talk. We have gone 16 pages and over 150 posts, time to cut the chatter and get to work. These damn things have had a huge negative impact on native wildlife and need to be hunted and killed whenever and wherever they are encountered. Do we have to wait until a python kills a child and swallows it before getting going?
Local Floridians can take more proactive pride in the Everglades and inspire a community attitude of respect and conservation of the environment. Let people understand that continued abuse of the environment there is not OK. Any citizen should urge agencies responsible for managing publicly owned wilderness areas to be more vigilant, and for restoration activities to proceed with higher priority, so that elected officials know it is something people care about, which equals votes and thus makes it a higher priority issue for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies