Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,590,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, natural gas can be the fuel of electric vehicles. But California has some CNG vehicles, namely the Honda Civic CNG. I wonder, why build a CNG infrastructure for another finite (though would take us much further) resource when we could build the electric infrastructure and use natural gas as one of the pieces of electricity generation?

And if Alaska is burning off natural gas, why can't they export it to Russia or canada? My guess is they burn it off because prices are too low to justify the expense of transporting it a great distance. But that could be wrong.
Both Russia and Canada have natrual gas coming out our patooties. There would just be no market for Alaskan gas there. Having said that though I would like to comment that we really need to start using natural gas a lot more in a lot of applications. Back in the 80's and 90's there were a lot of natural gas vehicles in these parts. They were dual fuel actually, natural gas and petrol. At that time ther was not enough difference in the prices to really make it worth while. Today there are still a lot of vehicles around here that run on natural gas. Police cars, taxies, municipal busses and others. You can still fuel up on natural gas at a lot of locations.

There need to be a lot more electrical generation stations fueled by natural gas. It's so much cleaner and less envrionmental distructive than coal.

Because of the glut of supply gas is at a very low cost right now.

A couple of nights ago on the news there was a story that a Canadian Gas company had just bought one of the big American gas companies so I'm guessing they at least are betting the use is going to go way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,197,939 times
Americans should stop buying wussie cars. Get yourself an Expedition, Suburban, or one of the many other large vehicles. Make sure it's a V-8 with plenty of horsepower to impress your peers.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans should stop buying wussie cars. Get yourself an Expedition, Suburban, or one of the many other large vehicles. Make sure it's a V-8 with plenty of horsepower to impress your peers.
There is a lot of truth in what you are saying. Our wastefulness is laughable. It is amazing how uneducated people are. Hey look at me, look at me, I have an Escalade and feel superior! I ride high and am great. Yeah, thanks for leaving some fuel for your kids. Goodness, if people would just conserve a bit, it would make a huge difference, but that would require some thought. Good luck with that.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,576,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In regard to post 129 and 130, You are implying that the price rise for most products is due to the Presidents manipulation..
post 130 yes. in part. printing money creates inflation everyone knows that. QE1 QE2. every thing will cost more because it devalues the dollar especially to the amount this administration has printed money. so yes printing money and demand for gasoline from other nations and and the supply and wall street. Obama has created the environment for higher gas prices. its what he wanted i don't think he is done he wants it a bit higher!!! $6to7$

Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,590,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
post 130 yes. in part. printing money creates inflation everyone knows that. QE1 QE2. every thing will cost more because it devalues the dollar especially to the amount this administration has printed money. so yes printing money and demand for gasoline from other nations and and the supply and wall street. Obama has created the environment for higher gas prices. its what he wanted i don't think he is done he wants it a bit higher!!! $6to7$
Your freakin money is so overvalued it's a joke. You should just thank your lucky stars that the fed has been able to fool the world for so long about the value of an American dollar.

Any other country in the world who ran a huge neverending trade deficit combined with government overspending and deficits to the uttermost degree would fine their currency WORTHLESS.

You had better get ready though because the day the American dollar ceases to be the reserve currency of the world you will be cooked. I predict the value of the greeback will fall by two thirds or more. Your factories will go back into business then because you will not be able to afford foreign goods.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,197,939 times
The OP's point is simple (as should be expected):
If Obama wasn't president gas would cost 75¢ a gallon.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,853,327 times
Anyone in this Country and i mean ANYONE who thinks that the current gas prices are some kind of indication of how our President is doing is out of their tree.
What we pay at the pump is determined by many factors that are not in the Control of the Whitehouse.
If a President goes to war with a Country that supplies the USA with a lot of oil then the President's actions might affect prices but outside influences are the main cause of higher or lower gas prices.
If the oil prices drop significantly by Nov. are the people, who are now saying that Obama needs to go because his policies have made gas prices higher, going to vote for Obama and openly say ... "hey President Obama, you're the man and your policies are working"...of course they won't.
When i hear Republicans saying things like... "Obama's economic policies are driving America over the cliff", is that the same cliff that the Republican administration not only drove America over but then distanced itself from by saying that the rescue team got their late and should have prevented the carnage too. "It wasn't me" is heard loud and clear from the right but we all know it WAS them.
When the phrase.... our gas prices are not normally this high at this time of year, as if it means that our President has some motive or hand in this price hike is stupid.... If no one has noticed the landscape of the middle east is now in virtual chaos and i don't just mean Iran.
President Obama wants to get rid of foreign Oil dependency but hey let's open a new oil pipeline from Canada and increase our dependency to yet another Country. This is like a alcoholic saying i have to stop drinking but I'm going to find a new bar to go drinking in.......... ridiculous!
As soon as gas prices go down then every one here are "happy bunnies" and the need to find alternative power sources flies out of the window. When gas prices go up then once again panic sets in and the President is the "fall guy".
If American's really want to not have Oil as a economic problem or factor then,As the right often says, we must make good life decisions. Decisions like, stop buying 4,5,6,7.8.ltre vehicles or buy vehicles that have alternative power sources or get a decent public transport system throughout the Country to cut down individual dependency on Oil. There is a lot that can be done to stop gas prices being a issue but hey let's just live in cloud cuckoo land, change nothing and then scream at whoever is President that it's all their fault.
Gas prices go up and down.... always have and unless a C change is made in America, aways will, just like the prices of everything else goes up over time. The only difference with gas prices and the price of almost everything else is gas prices go down too. Unfortunately when the prices go down we get a false sense of security and then are shocked wen they go back up again.
If you want low gas prices to stay low and not impact our economy then move away from oil and develop other energy sources............. if we don't then we have no real reason for complaining about soaring gas prices..... except political ones, of course.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,574,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The OP's point is simple (as should be expected):
If Obama wasn't president gas would cost 75¢ a gallon.

hmmm...

Seems to me that when the White House was occupied by oilmen (Dubya/Dick) the price of gas was plenty high each spring. And now that Iraq is "pacified", shouldn't we all be reaping the rewards of that brilliant campaign? Anyone else recall that "the cost of the war will be paid for by sales of Iraq's oil?" Whatever happened to that concept?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM

998 posts, read 1,216,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
hmmm...

Seems to me that when the White House was occupied by oilmen (Dubya/Dick) the price of gas was plenty high each spring. And now that Iraq is "pacified", shouldn't we all be reaping the rewards of that brilliant campaign? Anyone else recall that "the cost of the war will be paid for by sales of Iraq's oil?" Whatever happened to that concept?
Wholesale gas does cost less now after the war. So on Jan 1, 2012 Congress decided to take that lull in price as an opportunity to raise gasoline taxes on you at the pump. Enjoy the 45cent tax hike!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
Anyone in this Country and i mean ANYONE who thinks that the current gas prices are some kind of indication of how our President is doing is out of their tree.
But....that is NOT what the Left/media AND obama said in 2008, was it?

It was easy and convenient then to blame Bush.

Obama Blames High Gas Prices On Washington - CBS News

Well, well...the shoe is on the other foot now.

No doubt obama's policy to cripple domestic production and kill jobs will come back to haunt him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies