Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Under George W. Bush, the price of gasoline increased from $1.60 per gallon when he took office in January 2001 to $4.40 per gallon in July 2008, a jump of 275 percent.

The price of gas plummeted in December of 2008 while Bush was president because the economy tanked big time! Is that the Republican method of lowering the price of gas?
EIA says $1.51 avg prices when he took office. Site I found said $1.46. seems to be a couple different sources. I'd go with EIA though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't need a source...just use common sense and look at how much of the market is electric vehicles.

The Volt is a disaster.

OBVIOUSLY the market (consumers) reject electric cars.
the Nissan Leaf is doing about double the sales of the Volt. In both cases though, it's the first year of the model, and people are often scared of new technology. Still, in November 2011, GM sold 1,139 Volts. I don't know what their December sales #s were, but surely it wasn't the 3,800 they needed to hit their 2011 goal.

But a disaster? I don't think so. Neither does my friend that bought one and is enjoying 120mpg right now.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Let's not forget all the natural gas we are burning off in Alaska, because we have no way of getting it down here. Cheaper natural gas would reduce greenhouse emissions, while providing an alternative to coal in electricity production and to oil in transportation. But yet the White House refuses to even look at another pipeline because *gasp* the words green and pipeline can't be used in the same sentence.... Why are we not looking into natural gas instead of electricity when it comes to our transportation needs?
well, natural gas can be the fuel of electric vehicles. But California has some CNG vehicles, namely the Honda Civic CNG. I wonder, why build a CNG infrastructure for another finite (though would take us much further) resource when we could build the electric infrastructure and use natural gas as one of the pieces of electricity generation?

And if Alaska is burning off natural gas, why can't they export it to russia or canada? My guess is they burn it off because prices are too low to justify the expense of transporting it a great distance. But that could be wrong.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The "real" story is gas prices are rising, significantly. The $5/gas was highlighted because RD said there was no $5/gal gas in CA.

$4.18/gal and rising.

Tell the people that live in these areas the only price that matters is the average.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...ews-broadcast/

Oh, according to the report above, Alaska is seeing $6/gal. What tourist attraction is in Alaska?

Oh, while they were on the air on ABCNews, the price went up to $5.09...in downtown LA. What tourist attraction is in downtown LA?

Thoroughly debunked spin.
gas in midtown NYC is more expensive than out in Long Island. What's your point? Gas right off an interstate exit ramp is more expensive than one 1 mile off the ramp.

They are just capitalizing on their location. It is more of an anomoly than reflective of actual gas prices. People could easily avoid the gas station and get it cheaper if they wanted to.

Not saying gas isn't expensive, but you are plucking extreme examples for your argument.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 AM

13,689 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I guess I am one of those who does not think that gasoline prices are particularly high. Of course, I began driving in 1971, when you could obtain gas for some 25 cents a gallon (Texas was lower than most states).

Due to the OPEC embargo, prices shot up. Gas tanks back then were, obviously, not digital, and only had two 'slots' for the price (actually, three, so gas could be 28.9 cents; the third slot was always '9').

When gas hit $1.00 per gallon, gas stations had to resort to pricing the fuel by the half gallon, until they got new fuel pumps.

Anyway, I guess by the time of Jimmy Carter gas was steady at $1.00 per gallon. The Iran-Iraq war did cause prices to zoom up to $3.00 or so per gallon, but then it went back down.

I, of course, wish that the price was lower (which it will be again, eventually). However, going from $1.00 per to $4.00 per over the course of three or decades does not seem that crazy to me. Having fuel prices quadruple in the course of just a few years: that was crazy and really hurt the economy.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Here...

Who knew you were just talking about the SD area?

I doubt you were, considering the article I posted SAID RIGHT THERE that gas prices were bordering $5/gal in places other than SD.

No one is implying that's the average price, but some are implying $5/gas doesn't exist.

Same with the "disneyland" excuse. Obviously, in places NOT near tourist attractions, gas is bordering $5.

Really, stop while you're behind.

But STILL, the fact remains, we have never seen gas prices this high at this time of the year, which was in the OP.

you realize that gas prices within the city of L.A range from $3.81 for regular to $5.09 for regular on the day these stories ran right? Anyone who buys gas at the place charging $5.09 is an idiot.

"Gasoline prices in California surged to their highest since June of last year, although vigilant consumers may be able to save some money by finding certain gas stations, according to a website that tracks gas prices.

The highest gas prices in Los Angeles were at the Shell station on West Olympic Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue with the cost of regular gas at $4.93 a gallon and premium gas at $5.09 a gallon, according to gasbuddy.com.

The No. 2 spot belonged to the Mobile gas station on South Hacienda Boulevard and Gate Avenue in Hacienda Heights with $4.87 a gallon for regular gas and $4.99 a gallon for premium.

Lowest gas prices, according to the website, were at Valero on East Manchester Avenue and San Pedro Street. Customers could expect to pay $3.81 for regular gas and $4.01 for premium gas there.

The next cheapest was at V and G Auto Gas on Francisquito Avenue in Baldwin Park was charging $3.85 a gallon for regular gas.

The average gas price for Californians this time last year for regular gas was $4.04 a gallon and $4.09 a gallon for premium, with the national average overall at $3.63 a gallon, according to the Automobile Club of Southern California.

Minimizing braking, avoiding quick start and stops, keeping tires inflated and slowing down are all ways of conserving gasoline, according to AAA.

NBC LA would like to ease the pain for Angelenos paying high prices for gas. Enter here on Facebook for a chance to win $400 worth of free gas."

Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess I am one of those who does not think that gasoline prices are particularly high. Of course, I began driving in 1971, when you could obtain gas for some 25 cents a gallon (Texas was lower than most states).

Due to the OPEC embargo, prices shot up. Gas tanks back then were, obviously, not digital, and only had two 'slots' for the price (actually, three, so gas could be 28.9 cents; the third slot was always '9').

When gas hit $1.00 per gallon, gas stations had to resort to pricing the fuel by the half gallon, until they got new fuel pumps.

Anyway, I guess by the time of Jimmy Carter gas was steady at $1.00 per gallon. The Iran-Iraq war did cause prices to zoom up to $3.00 or so per gallon, but then it went back down.

I, of course, wish that the price was lower (which it will be again, eventually). However, going from $1.00 per to $4.00 per over the course of three or decades does not seem that crazy to me. Having fuel prices quadruple in the course of just a few years: that was crazy and really hurt the economy.

that's a good point. I wonder how that compares to the prices of other things such as a coke, or a kit-kat.

but...i remember in the 90s gas where i grew up being 89 cents/gallon. so, the increase does seem to be moreso in the past 15-20 years, rather than 30 years. but it's good to look at the big picture.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:37 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Your beloved free market at work.

Ten lane highway in North Korea (DPRK) - YouTube Perhaps you would like a little Marxism with your tea?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Usually we see prices rise in Spring/Summer, but this is just incredible. Almost $5/gal in California already.

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAS_PRICES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAUL T&CTIME=2012-02-18-16-20-35 - broken link)

But...this is what the dems/obama/Left really want....HIGHER gas prices in order to force people to change their lifestyles to one more in line with what they think it should be (of course, THEY are all exempt).

The media is already out of ahead of this...as a warning to obama I believe, which they believe will hurt his re-election chances (Duh!!).

That would be another record in the obama Wreckovery.

Last year, gas took a huge bite out of people's wallets.

News Headlines

Missing $4,155? It Went Into Your Gas Tank This Year

Almost $4200 extra for gas.

And here we have a president who is intent on crippling domestic energy production. Jobs and pain at the pump don't rate up there with appeasing his liberal environmental base, who said they would NOT support him in 2012.

Here's a very, very interesting chart;

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...801-chart1.png

We'll get all the usual big oil excuses for them raiding our wallets:

"tensions in the middle east"

"changing formulations for spring"

"insufficient refinery capacity"

"rising demand from China"

We've been hearing it all for years.

The only difference this time is the radical right is going to clamp onto "It's Obama's fault!"

Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
It's about time that some right winger started a national charity for the oil companies, they are in desperate need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies