Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times

Advertisements

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a cowboy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Seems like an interesting situation.

On one hand, the guy is acting like a vigilante and we don't want that.

But on the other hand, he did see a man in the act of committing a crime. Was he just supposed to stand there and watch it happen?
No, you call the cops and you don't use or threaten to use deadly force.

If I see some guys selling dope out in the open should I go up to them and pull a gun out?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why is there so much crime in the US in the first place?
Maybe it also has to do with people having their own homes. There is only one door and no other way anyone could enter my apartment, so making that one door safe is enough to protect myself. And there is the heavy door at the entrance of the building. With stand-alone houses there are numerous entry ways such as doors and windows which makes defense much more difficult.

I find it really disturbing to think one needs a gun to defend oneself in one's own home. I am in my 40s and have never even seen a gun or a bullet in real life, I only know them from American movies and TV programs. And I hope it stays that way, I like the absence of violent crime.
There isn't Neuling, that is creative statistics being used to establish such.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why is there so much crime in the US in the first place?
Maybe it also has to do with people having their own homes. There is only one door and no other way anyone could enter my apartment, so making that one door safe is enough to protect myself. And there is the heavy door at the entrance of the building. With stand-alone houses there are numerous entry ways such as doors and windows which makes defense much more difficult.

I find it really disturbing to think one needs a gun to defend oneself in one's own home. I am in my 40s and have never even seen a gun or a bullet in real life, I only know them from American movies and TV programs. And I hope it stays that way, I like the absence of violent crime.

I don't think I need to fortify my home to keep people out. Ie making it a jail for yourself.

Maybe the crime is from folks who have moved here from other country who do now know what ownership is and are looking for some free stuff?

The lack of guns does not mean your free from violence and just because you live a sheltered life does not mean a gun is far away from you as your neighbor could have one. Unless you live in some type of institution or hospital

Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
No, you call the cops and you don't use or threaten to use deadly force.

If I see some guys selling dope out in the open should I go up to them and pull a gun out?
I guess old Leonard Boswell should have just called the cops and waited for em to show up too? You folks and your belief that cops will protect you all the time are beyond help. Most police work is done after the crime is committed.

""The congressman says the military is the best training for situations like this," said Woodard, referring to Boswell's 20-year military career. "It's a wakeup call to everybody to take precautions and do what they need to do to keep their family safe."

I guess for you that means keeping a phone close by. Boswell keeps a shotgun handy.

Man arrested in congressman home attack - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No need to lie anymore....please give a dircet quote from any article you can find that says this? I'll be waiting....

No need to lie anymore....please give a dircet quote from any article you can find that says this? I'll be waiting....

And yuo need t ostop making thigs up as you go along....

I'll be waiting....for a response from you all.....but It's going to be a while...cause you cannot find anything that says this....

Why I'm responding to someone who uses first grade grammar and then comes back posting a link with the incorrect context trying to justify it is beyond me but here we go.

Quote:
He said he couldn't tell right away if anything from his home was missing, and that after about 10 or 15 minutes of checking his house for damage and stolen items, he noticed a man walking down the street with a backpack.

"I said, 'That can't be him,'" Fleming said Monday, but decided to see if it was, driving his truck down the road.

After he did not find the man, Fleming said he went back to his house, grabbed his gun, and decided to walk down the street to talk with neighbors and find out if they had seen anyone suspicious in the area.

It was on this walk that he saw the man with the backpack, later identified to be Hebert, again, coming out of a neighbor's back window.

Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME

As you can see he went out patrolling, looking around, or whatever you want to call if first in his truck and then he grabbed his gun and went out on foot.

Also, this wasn't even regarding whether he patrolled the neighborhood or not:
Quote:
And yuo need t ostop making thigs up as you go along....
That was another clueless poster who claimed the gun owner was on his own property. Feel free to quit while you're behind.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess old Leonard Boswell should have just called the cops and waited for em to show up too? You folks and your belief that cops will protect you all the time are beyond help. Most police work is done after the crime is committed.

""The congressman says the military is the best training for situations like this," said Woodard, referring to Boswell's 20-year military career. "It's a wakeup call to everybody to take precautions and do what they need to do to keep their family safe."

I guess for you that means keeping a phone close by. Boswell keeps a shotgun handy.

Man arrested in congressman home attack - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com
Can you explain how this incident is even remotely comparable to what happened in the OP?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
I was responding to savior about his call the police nonsense which is what many have retorted with in response to the man's actions. Pay attention or move to the side.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
Should have shot him dead, then the cops could only listen to your side of the story. Dead men dont talk

Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I was responding to savior about his call the police nonsense which is what many have retorted with in response to the man's actions. Pay attention or move to the side.
Can you explain how this incident is even remotely comparable to what happened in the OP? Apparently the answer is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies