Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 PM

155 posts, read 134,943 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the length of this but this is something I have been reading about for a while and something most Americans are asleep at the wheel on. Mel Garbow a Washington land use lawyer said once preservationists "are like butterfly collectors: they don't have any appreciation for butterflies, they just want to have another one for their collection trophy case. You have a small group of politically adroit people who create a kind of city museum by requiring individual owners to make their buildings exhibitioins in this museum." When I originally heard of preservation I thought a few buildings here and there and yes I was in favor of it.

But I am seeing more and more historic districts spread like wildfire around the country where strict regulations are put in place not for the benefit of safety such as a permit to install a new electrical box (to avoid a fire) or to put up a new roof (to avoid it falling on you). Now we are onto how a property is allowed to look. I just find it hard to believe that some Americans are willing to give up more and more of their freedom and stand by silent. My uncle has a 1957 Chevrolet that is valued at over 150,000 dollars. Yet if he wishes to smash the car to pieces he is within his rights to do it.

But when it comes to our castles (our houses) we allow the government and preservationists who do not know their place to dictate aesthetics of our own houses. Some might claim that their neighbors house value effects theirs. My reply to that is that a house is bought to live in and not for a investment. This is in part why we are in the situation we are in. People buying homes as "investments" with the intention to sell them in a few years and make profits even though they could barely afford it.

If someone wishes to put their money in houses as a investment instead of the stock market that is their choice. But don't say your neighbors freedom to do with their house as they wish should be diminished because you made the choice to invest in real estate. I see this getting more and more out of control and some people just sitting back (preservationists call these people "takers" because they just sit back and are easy to win over).

If someone is for preservation they should "preserve" their own house. If they are for preservation and strict laws for a entire neighborhood then buy the whole neighborhood or urge the city to buy it and then you can preserve it. But to somehow say that because you believe a area should be preserved and therefore other homeowners should then be restricted is something out of that of a communist. I am a left leaning man and that is not a term I throw around a lot. The more I learn about the national preservation for historic trust which is funded by the federal government in part, I am seeing more and more they value dictatorship over freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Interesting. I have seen neighborhood groups do similar things. I was young when I went to the very first local neigborhood association meeting. There were some yuppie women and men sitting up front that started the group. They appointed themselves president vp etc. Within a week they are walking around the neigborhood taking notes and calling the city on people. They were new to the neighborhood btw. Pukes

Old 02-26-2012, 05:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Um, what?
People would be yanking down historic structures all over the place out of ignorance, if not for these laws.
These laws are in place for a reason.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Interesting. I have seen neighborhood groups do similar things. I was young when I went to the very first local neigborhood association meeting. There were some yuppie women and men sitting up front that started the group. They appointed themselves president vp etc. Within a week they are walking around the neigborhood taking notes and calling the city on people. They were new to the neighborhood btw. Pukes
I think the OP is bagging on historic preservationists, not the garden variety HOA fascists.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um, what?
People would be yanking down historic structures all over the place out of ignorance, if not for these laws.
These laws are in place for a reason.
I see so your point is you need the government to protect my property I bought and paid for from myself. I am not saying that SOME properties should not be protected. But we are seeing thousands of individual properties listed and many many historic districts. As it has been said "When everything is historic, nothing is historic." People need to learn to mind their own business. BTW you prove my point...homeowners according to you are "ignorant" and therefore their property needs protected. Thats where you are wrong. It is their property and not yours.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I think the OP is bagging on historic preservationists, not the garden variety HOA fascists.
There is not much difference and it is sad you can not see that. HOA proponents say the lack of freedom of property owners is "for the good of the community". Hmmm I never hear that same excuse from fascists preservationists!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
I see so your point is you need the government to protect my property I bought and paid for from myself. I am not saying that SOME properties should not be protected. But we are seeing thousands of individual properties listed and many many historic districts. As it has been said "When everything is historic, nothing is historic." People need to learn to mind their own business.
Actually, the laws are in place to protect the historic structures from people like you.
Dont like it, dont buy a historic structure.
See how easy that is?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post
There is not much difference and it is sad you can not see that. HOA proponents say the lack of freedom of property owners is "for the good of the community". Hmmm I never hear that same excuse from fascists preservationists!
I come from the oldest, most historic town in the upper Louisiana Territory, there isnt the slightest comparison between HOA trolls and historic preservationists.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Actually, the laws are in place to protect the historic structures from people like you.
Dont like it, dont buy a historic structure.
See how easy that is?
When historic districts move into areas where not all homeowners want to be a part of it, it is a problem. Get it? Property rights rest with individual property owners and not with preservationists who have way too much time on their hands!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
I know an idiot that couldnt afford his registered historic mansion, didnt pay the bills and the pipes froze. Flooded the place and nearly ruined it regardless of its spot on the historic registry. Whataya do?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies