Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ok just to prove that I'm fair this is what I have since you are partially right

This one proves your point:
[SIZE=3]Birth Control The Pill & Breast Cancer Risk - WebMD[/SIZE]

This one does not:
[SIZE=3]Birth Control Pills May Reduce Cancer Death - ABC News[/SIZE]

And this one had me really thinking:[SIZE=3]Researchers Say Birth Control Pills May Protect Nuns From Cancer ...[/SIZE]
Huh? I think you need to re read my post. The church is for conception and against any thing that prevents the possibility of conception.

And I am entirely right with the cancer risk posed by OCs. They increase risk of estrogen dependent cancers and liver cancer. As I stated before. The link you claim disproves my statement doesn't address cancer risk, only risk of death. You do understand there is a difference right?

And the one you think is a real winner? It ain't.
"“The Church has never opposed using contraceptive medications when they are medically indicated,” said Sister Mary Ann Walsh, director of media relations for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, in an email response to queries about the Lancet commentary. “The issue presented in the Lancet is a medical, not a moral one. … The chemicals found in birth control pills may have a valid medical use, for some conditions and some women. That doesn’t pose a fundamental moral problem if the drugs are not used for a contraceptive purpose.”"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Huh? I think you need to re read my post. The church is for conception and against any thing that prevents the possibility of conception.

And I am entirely right with the cancer risk posed by OCs. They increase risk of estrogen dependent cancers and liver cancer. As I stated before. The link you claim disproves my statement doesn't address cancer risk, only risk of death. You do understand there is a difference right?

You do realize that pretty much everything that we eat, drink and inhale poses some sort of cancer risk. The study also mentions other factors such as age and child bearing status. Since the majority of women are more concerned with the positives of BCPs than the risk and apparently there are more women benefiting from them than dying what right does the church have in making that choice for them?

And the one you think is a real winner? It ain't.
"“The Church has never opposed using contraceptive medications when they are medically indicated,” said Sister Mary Ann Walsh, director of media relations for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, in an email response to queries about the Lancet commentary. “The issue presented in the Lancet is a medical, not a moral one. … The chemicals found in birth control pills may have a valid medical use, for some conditions and some women. That doesn’t pose a fundamental moral problem if the drugs are not used for a contraceptive purpose.”"
It still does not answer the question of why the concern for the prevention of pregnancies when it come to women and the promotion of pregnancies when comes to men.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Then you are saying because one does it all should do it.

Only a partisan hack would post such a statement.

Hint. NONE OF THEM SHOULD DO IT.

See I am not like you. I condemn bad behavior on both sides, not just one like you.
As I said, CRs are the new norm, the dems didn't invent the continuing resolution;

2000 7 continuing resolutions

2001 21 continuing resolutions

2002 8 continuing resolutions

2003 12 continuing resolutions

2004 7 continuing resolutions

2005 3 continuing resolutions

2006 3 continuing resolutions

2007 4 continuing resolutions

2008 4 continuing resolutions

maybe you can fill in the blanks, who controlled congress those years?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:17 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It still does not answer the question of why the concern for the prevention of pregnancies when it come to women and the promotion of pregnancies when comes to men.
You are not making sense on either issue. The church doesn't want to prevent any pregnancies. The church also has issues with condoms, which are designed for men. The. The church is making an issue of contraception because they are being forced to provide it. They aent making an issue of any drugs that increase fertility for either sex.

Also, We are discussing OCs. The church's objection ha zero to do with cancer, that is an added concern another poster brought up. If you want to discuss the relative carcinogen dangers posed by other things, start a post. OCs increase the risk of cancer.

Last edited by shorebaby; 03-02-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Apparently, CRs are the new norm;

2000 7 continuing resolutions

2001 21 continuing resolutions

2002 8 continuing resolutions

2003 12 continuing resolutions

2004 7 continuing resolutions

2005 3 continuing resolutions

2006 3 continuing resolutions

2007 4 continuing resolutions

2008 4 continuing resolutions

maybe you can fill in the blanks, who controlled congress those years?

Those were TEMPORARY until a final budget could get passed. The Democrats don't intend to pass an actual budget because the people would actually be able to see where the money is being spent and the cuts are being made. So much for "transparancy" under this usurper.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Those were TEMPORARY until a final budget could get passed. The Democrats don't intend to pass an actual budget because the people would actually be able to see where the money is being spent and the cuts are being made. So much for "transparancy" under this usurper.
What on earth makes you think people cannot see where the money is being spent?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What on earth makes you think people cannot see where the money is being spent?

They can't see it until AFTER it is spent. A budget would allow the people to see where the money is budgeted to be spent and thus lobby to get it changed. Budgets are blueprints for FUTURE spending.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
They can't see it until AFTER it is spent. A budget would allow the people to see where the money is budgeted to be spent and thus lobby to get it changed. Budgets are blueprints for FUTURE spending.
And thus its able to be ignored. Much ado about nothing

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Even if I should choose to work for a Catholic organization they still have no moral right to demand control over my uterus. I am still of an organization run by celibate men that shields Nazi war criminals and pedophiles demanding the right to be accepted as a moral authority.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Hey ********* !!! WHo brought this thing up in the first place!??!?!?! You friggin people and the pathetic media know damn well NO ONE was talking about this until Obama made his unconstitutional move.

Talk about nothing else to concern yourself with....
I totally agree with you on this but my problem with the GOP candidates so far is that they are LETTING THEM GET AWAY WITH IT! Why don't they focus on the important things?? Why don't they stop getting distracted by shiney objects and beating each other up and stay focused on the prize... getting Obama out! This birth control thing is part of Obamacare, which ALL of the candidates are going to try and repeal after they get elected, so who cares what stupid things are in it now, when after the end of the year they can change it! That should be what one of them says... well you know, if you don't like Obamacare, we need to get rid of Obama.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies