Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I would rather live alone than with a dull, boring, unimaginative dolt. Who wants to spend the day cleaning up after a man? Love isn't defined by the thickness of walls. Some people live in truck campers alone, and are very happy go lucky, well fed, socially connected. I see entire families under one roof who would like nothing better than to kill one another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Exhibit A. Thank you.
I see nothing wrong with Peggy Anne's statements. In fact, there is a whole lotta' truth in what she says.

Better to live alone than with someone you can't stand. How would two miserable people living together just because Western Pilgrim says it would be better to do so benefit society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
Professor Eric Klinenberg, the author of "Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone", informs us that:

"More people live alone now than at any other time in history. In prosperous American cities — Atlanta, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco and Minneapolis — 40 percent or more of all households contain a single occupant. In Manhattan and in Washington, nearly one in two households are occupied by a single person.
Today five million people in the United States between ages 18 and 34 live alone, 10 times more than in 1950. But the largest number of single people are middle-aged; 15 million people between ages 35 and 64 live alone."

How is this not a social disaster in the making? Don't get me wrong: there is nothing inherently immoral or evil about being single or living alone. There have always been those called to the single life and there always will be. The problem is that society cannot handle certain exceptions becoming the rule. When people are living alone due to an absence of love and commitment in their lives, whether chosen or unchosen, we have a problem.

Apparently that's how it will end - in a loveless society, in which the masses demand that government accommodate our loveless lives, and that government "fix" what love has neglected. Furthermore it will be demanded that government remove any visible reminders of what love ought to have done to avoid pricking our dying consciences.

oh, good grief!
I live alone by choice
and I am quite happy, thank you very much!
Is everything we do now the business of the government?
Or some professor?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
I can most certainly see the appeal. LIving alone means that the only person to nag you is yourself. o.o
Yes, and I manage to do so quite nicely, thankyouverymuch.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
This can be turned into a positive in one paragraph;
" Woman are 1 million times more self-sufficient/independent than in 1950-not dependent on a man to "get by" not compromise her dignity for her kids- many men back then drank alot-beat the hell out of the wife-thier was a stigma of single woman with kids, etc, and domestic abuse- often was looked the other way. You can be more alone in a relationship, than outside of one.

so, yes divorce rates lead to more adults being single/independent-but also can reclaim dignity and self-respect.

also, alone doesnt mean lonely, it means independence/freedom

the computer is a marvelous invention, it's a portal to the world, also, you can connect to soooooooooooo many people using a computer , compared to years ago.
Ten reps if I could.

I wonder how many of these 'loveless' people are perfectly happy women who feel quiet comfortable without a man to tell them what to do? I never actually lived alone until hubby proved the jerk he was and was kicked out. My one attempt to try a relationship ended when I was told I stayed up to late and didn't get up early but he found this hypnosis center could 'fix' that....

Bye bye.

Women are putting their foot down on the control and have the chance to take it for themselves. But then I had my g grandmother, who raised my grandmother herself, and operated an actor's hotel. And my grandmother who was dumped by granddad mid depression and raised my mom and aunt herself. When they moved on, she lived alone, and nobody would have dared to tell her she didn't have love or a life. It wasn't until a stroke in her late 70's that she had to live with my aunt. I've often looked to them as inspiration.

Sadly, before the big domestic scene in the 50's, women worked in factories during and before the war, they did what they could to add to the family coffers when everyone was poor, and were NOT domestic divas. The women who crossed the plains, and their daughters couldn't have been even thought they never got credit for it. The image of women able to make their own decisions got lost for a while, but somewhere, and always in some women, has always been there.

Any woman is better off living alone than saddled to a man who controls or demeans her. Just having more than one body in a home doesn't make it one of 'love'.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
People who live alone have fewer opportunities to love. They must must go out of their way to give of themselves. Their tolerance of others is challenged less frequently. They can more easily avoid demands on their time and energy. Etc.
off topic and a very poor example to prove your talking points. You want people to stay married? Figure out a way to fix the economy and stop harping on family values.

You people are so myopic.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
To me, "living" in a nursing home would be a living hell....I'd rather live alone in a cardboard box in the middle of the Artic tundra than in one of those places.
It's nice of you to visit and listen...for some oldies all they have left is memories.
Ugh. Dad was so far gone mentally he was never really 'there', but given my trackrecord and complaining, uncooperative, and generally impatient to leave hospital patient I can tell I never want to set foot in one. More and more places are adopting home health care where someone comes, even if it has to be every couple days, and works with people but they don't have to leave their homes. They do it since its cheaper, but the real bonus is they don't become 'institutionalized'. My dad forgot the rest of what he still remembered within a month and totally lost himself.

Me, I am not good at 'group' situations, thought the thing I remember most in the positive light was the emergency shelter, where everything had rules. Of course everyone stretched them as much as possible and took satisfaction in that. And we got to leave and decide if we wanted to come.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Professor Eric Klinenberg, the author of "Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone", informs us that:

"More people live alone now than at any other time in history. In prosperous American cities — Atlanta, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco and Minneapolis — 40 percent or more of all households contain a single occupant. In Manhattan and in Washington, nearly one in two households are occupied by a single person.
Today five million people in the United States between ages 18 and 34 live alone, 10 times more than in 1950. But the largest number of single people are middle-aged; 15 million people between ages 35 and 64 live alone."

How is this not a social disaster in the making? Don't get me wrong: there is nothing inherently immoral or evil about being single or living alone. There have always been those called to the single life and there always will be. The problem is that society cannot handle certain exceptions becoming the rule. When people are living alone due to an absence of love and commitment in their lives, whether chosen or unchosen, we have a problem.

Apparently that's how it will end - in a loveless society, in which the masses demand that government accommodate our loveless lives, and that government "fix" what love has neglected. Furthermore it will be demanded that government remove any visible reminders of what love ought to have done to avoid pricking our dying consciences.
I couldn't see a point to the OP and the writer never came back but I have a question and who knows? It might get answered

Did this guy have a timetable on how people living by themselves will destroy the planet?

'cuz , ya know people have been around for a long long long time and many have lived alone ...

And we're still here....

So how soon is it?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Ugh. Dad was so far gone mentally he was never really 'there', but given my trackrecord and complaining, uncooperative, and generally impatient to leave hospital patient I can tell I never want to set foot in one. More and more places are adopting home health care where someone comes, even if it has to be every couple days, and works with people but they don't have to leave their homes. They do it since its cheaper, but the real bonus is they don't become 'institutionalized'. My dad forgot the rest of what he still remembered within a month and totally lost himself.

Me, I am not good at 'group' situations, thought the thing I remember most in the positive light was the emergency shelter, where everything had rules. Of course everyone stretched them as much as possible and took satisfaction in that. And we got to leave and decide if we wanted to come.

someone should open a place called "into the light" it's a designated place to go to pass on- with dignity

a time of our choosing to go into this "crossing over" resort/scenic place on the ocean, or in the woods

when you want to pass, have them uethanise you....just fall asleep and thats it-your last sight can be out at the ocean, a mountain, or watching family videos, but you end your life on YOUR terms,,,, with dignity

if this isnt legal, it should be

Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
someone should open a place called "into the light" it's a designated place to go to pass on- with dignity

a time of our choosing to go into this "crossing over" resort/scenic place on the ocean, or in the woods

when you want to pass, have them uethanise you....just fall asleep and thats it-your last sight can be out at the ocean, a mountain, or watching family videos, but you end your life on YOUR terms,,,, with dignity

if this isnt legal, it should be
I am a HUGE supporter of "death with dignity." Luckily, my state is one in which doctor assisted suicide is legal.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good lord. Some people need to find something wrong with everything that's happening in the world.
Precisely the point.

Society is changing. There are new paradigms in demographics, lifestyles, relationships.

We are not living in 1950 anymore and Ozzie & Harriet, the Cleavers, and Darren & Samantha Stevens are dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies