Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Income, drugs and healthcare for the old you mean?
That is a good deal of it. However, I am also a believer in stare decisis and also do not believe SS and Medicare/ Medicaid payments are partially just return of assets and insurance payments already coerced from the individuals now collecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It wasn't forcibly removed from their paychecks. When asked if all money from social security should be paid back, and cease the program, an overwhelming 60% of Americans support the continuation of the program.
60% of Americans can kiss my ass. I don't want anything to do with it. I'd opt out tomorrow if I could, but I can't, because people like you insist that 60% can lay down the rules for the other 40%.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So libertarians have no problem with an oppressive state or local government, got it?

Its not just them Libertains that want more local choice and abilty to governa themselves more,One only has to look at the last moiid tems to see its biggest chnages where at the state level .All movemnts begin at lower levels and then chnage the national makeup of politcs.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
60% of Americans can kiss my ass. I don't want anything to do with it. I'd opt out tomorrow if I could, but I can't, because people like you insist that 60% can lay down the rules for the other 40%.
So you don't love your country, because thats how the system is designed, laws that make the most good, for the most people, put in place by elected officials who represent the majority.

Gotcha.

BTW, if its people like me, then the founding fathers are like me.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When you transfer money for the sole purpose of enriching one individual at the expense of another it is theft. Does not matter if the man with the gun forcing you to hand over your cash is wearing a badge or not. Just because government does something does not make it moral. Would rape be OK if it was legal?
No, its called taxation.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Why Democracy Fails - Animation - YouTube

Old 03-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
So you don't love your country
Uh... Que?

Quote:
because thats how the system is designed, laws that make the most good, for the most people, put in place by elected officials who represent the majority.
It would also benefit the majority to murder me and split up whatever's in my savings account.

Don't care.

Quote:
BTW, if its people like me, then the founding fathers are like me.
No sir, they are not, because you insist, day after day, that the will of majority should reign supreme, which would put you directly at odds with the founding fathers.

Quote:
No, its called taxation.
Are you in the top 49%? If the bottom 51% voted to confiscate all of your wealth for redistribution, I'm assuming that would not be a problem for you?

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Uh... Que?

It would also benefit the majority to murder me and split up whatever's in my savings account.

Don't care.

No sir, they are not, because you insist, day after day, that the will of majority should reign supreme, which would put you directly at odds with the founding fathers.

Are you in the top 49%? If the bottom 51% voted to confiscate all of your wealth for redistribution, I'm assuming that would not be a problem for you?
Que is that your country is set up so that the majority elects officials to represent them, and then they have programs that are paid for by taxes, that may or may not help everyone, but help the majority.

You obviously don't care about how the United States operates, or that the majority of people like the social programs that you don't. Thats your right, but then to claim that those taxes are theft is, well, laughable.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Que is that your country is set up so that the majority elects officials to represent them, and then they have programs that are paid for by taxes, that may or may not help everyone, but help the majority.
My country is set up based on individual rights. That would include my individual right to save my own money. Apparently 40% of people agree with me. But hey, screw all of us, we're the minority.

Quote:
You obviously don't care about how the United States operates, or that the majority of people like the social programs that you don't. Thats your right, but then to claim that those taxes are theft is, well, laughable.
So because I disagree, I don't care about America. I have my own ideas about what is best for the country, and IMO, they are better than yours. Mob rule is guaranteed disaster.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 PM

29 posts, read 50,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Whoa! A whole lot of name calling, misrepresentation and blame game going on here. Perhaps to sour people to the idea of libertarianism, to those who are new to the concept? Let me explain the concept of libertarianism like I would explain to an 8 year old.

Libertarianism is about liberty. It's the freedom of choice - the ability to do what you like, as long as it doesn't hurt somebody else. Like someone said here, your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins. That's it. If you understand this concept, you understand libertarianism.

Libertarianism is also an umbrella term, and encompasses a wide range of ideas, and doesn't necessarily mean the entire platform of the Libertarian party either. There is Anarcho-capitalism, Minarchism, Voluntaryism etc., so it's almost sure that no two libertarians agree 100% on every issue, but that's OK - freedom of choice, remember? Even when two libertarians disagree vehemently on something, they don't try to impose their beliefs on each other, and that's the key.

Now, are there fake libertarians? You bet. Glenn Beck is one. He claims to be a libertarian and a small-government advocate, but when it comes to our foreign policy, he conveniently throws everything out of the window, and goes full-blown neocon. Also, all the "Beltway Libertarians" - CATO types and the Reason Foundation types, are also libertarians of convenience, who don't always walk the walk.

I don't like to label myself, and nor do I think any libertarian should try to label himself/herself, because there is always something or the other we can find to disagree with the dictionary definition of a strain of libertarianism. And that's OK.

Libertarians are also Constitutionalists. I am, hardcore. If the government wants to pee, it should be authorized in the Constitution. Period. You can amend the Constitution to change something you don't like, sure, but as long the Constitution exists the way it is at any point in time, it should be followed.

I am against federal government involvement in any sphere of life or economy which is not authorized by the Constitution. Functions which are not authorized by the Constitution should be handled by the private sector or the states. This usually spawns a favorite fallacy perpetuated by the statists - "Oh, so you like oppressive government at the local/state level." My answer is - not at all. BUT, if at least that function is down to my state or county, I can oppose it more effectively and make it defunct. If that function is authorized by my state Constitution, then by all means, do it. But if not, the same restriction applies here too.

We are usually pro-drug legalization, pro-Constitution, anti-undeclared wars, anti-income tax, pro-choice..or in one sentence, "as long as it's between consenting adults, it's not my business, nor is it the government's business".

If our great Founding Fathers were alive today, you bet that they would have called themselves libertarians. They were awesome like THAT.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies