Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times

Advertisements

AeroGuyDC, it's very comforting to all of us that you regularly talk to an Iraqi general and that you have cleared up all of our misconceptions about Bush. I am framing a picture of him on my wall as we speak.

I just have one small question, if you don't mind:

WHERE ARE THE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION?????!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Iraqi teenagers stoned to death for "emo" haircuts | Al Akhbar English

This is how America destroys countries by its senseless foreign policy. We disposed of Saddam, a secular ruler and a Sunni, and gifted the country straight into the arms of the extremist Shiite, thus also making the country a natural ally of Shiite Iran now. What did we achieve? Nothing.
Dang it, and I thought you were above this sort of "stuff", I take it back.

Last edited by Casper in Dallas; 03-12-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Dang it, and I tought you were above this sort of "stuff", I take it back.
Huh? What "stuff"?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Have you been to Iraq? No, you haven't. You're not qualified to make this statement.

I, on the other hand, have spent countless hours working with the Iraqi military and the Iraqi Civil Aviation Authority. One of my great friends is a 4 Star General in the Iraqi Air Force. I know from experience what the attitude in Iraq is.

My point? The same as it was in the beginning of this post: You're not qualified to make these statements because you haven't had the exposure. So please, stop the nonsense.
I just have two questions:

1. How nice is George W. Bush Square in Baghdad?

2. When is the last time you saw those WMD's?

BTW....tell Richard Perle and Paul Bremer i said "hello" next time you see them.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:55 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
[Bolded by me.]

There are Christians in the middle east and there are also various religions in Israel. It is not all Islamic and there is certainly not only one law.
Thanks to the US meddling in Iraq, there are a good deal fewer Christians there than there used to be.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Yes, those facts (unsupported I might add).....which are not...and have not been...a surprise to anyone.
The fact that DAWA, Sadar and Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq (ISCI) were actively supported by Iran and that all three still have significant ties to that country? No one disputes those facts.

As for the the number of Iraqi civilians killed in the two years of fighting, again there is little dispute, including your link which has absolutely nothing to do with how many were have been killed during the invasion and occupation, that to is not an issue of dispute and is well documented.

As for how Iraqis feel, well I suppose that depends on which Iraqis you are talking about, 4,000 dead this year alone would seem to indicate that somebody isn't happy. Ether way, it has nothing to do with the fact that in responding to the post as I did, that Iran was the biggest regional power following the overthrow of Hussein.

Quote:
PS....your numbers are not factual in regards to the estimated number of people killed under Saddam. You should rethink your "facts."
On this point, I plead guilty for really sloppy writing because my intention was to point out that in 10 years we have directly or indirectly caused approximately half the number of civilians killed during Hussein's 23 years in power as your linked post suggests.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The fact that DAWA, Sadar and Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq (ISCI) were actively supported by Iran and that all three still have significant ties to that country? No one disputes those facts.

As for the the number of Iraqi civilians killed in the two years of fighting, again there is little dispute, including your link which has absolutely nothing to do with how many were have been killed during the invasion and occupation, that to is not an issue of dispute and is well documented.

As for how Iraqis feel, well I suppose that depends on which Iraqis you are talking about, 4,000 dead this year alone would seem to indicate that somebody isn't happy. Ether way, it has nothing to do with the fact that in responding to the post as I did, that Iran was the biggest regional power following the overthrow of Hussein.

On this point, I plead guilty for really sloppy writing because my intention was to point out that in 10 years we have directly or indirectly caused approximately half the number of civilians killed during Hussein's 23 years in power as your linked post suggests.
You made the claim that the US invasion killed half as many Iraqis as Saddam did in his decades of reign. Did you forget that, or do I need to go back and quote you? I countered with one article that cast mucho doubt on your "facts"....and that's not counting the number of UN reports that could be dredged up to prove you wrong.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
The General that you like to make fun of has a penchant for writing letters instead of communicating via email. About 2 weeks ago I received a letter from him with a new picture of him and his family and a nice note.

Guess how he ends his letters?

"Gen. XYZ from the New Free Iraq."
Those who end up on top after a major change in society will tend to view the change as a very positive event.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You made the claim that the US invasion killed half as many Iraqis as Saddam did in his decades of reign.
What I said was that directly or indirectly the U.S. invasion caused the deaths of 100,000 Iraqi civilians.

Iraq Body Count

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RS22537.pdf

Iraq War Logs: What the numbers reveal :: Iraq Body Count

WikiLeaks: Iraqi Civilian Deaths Higher Than Ever Reported - ABC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/wo...asualties.html

Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I countered with one article that cast mucho doubt on your "facts"....and that's not counting the number of UN reports that could be dredged up to prove you wrong.
FYI - This is 2011 your much vaunted article is from 2005!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies