Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times

Advertisements

P.S. Both of them are entertainers, so I'm not really sure why this is political OR controversial. Do you care about what every other comedian and talk/radio host says, or are these two special for some reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,490,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Bill Maher is pretty funny though
Have to admit it, he is.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Have to admit it, he is.
Not only that, but he does a LOT more than "bashing others" - so I wonder if the OP has even really watched his shows. If you don't get all blinded by the bad words, the content is actually quite intelligent & interesting.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,490,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not only that, but he does a LOT more than "bashing others" - so I wonder if the OP has even really watched his shows. If you don't get all blinded by the bad words, the content is actually quite intelligent & interesting.
And see, that could be the case. I don't get cable, so I only see certain clips on Huffpo or my facebook page, which tend to be the most provacative ones.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And see, that could be the case. I don't get cable, so I only see certain clips on Huffpo or my facebook page, which tend to be the most provacative ones.
Yes, that could be the problem - since they only show the "controversial" comments in those clips! Watch a few of his full-length episodes on HBO.com, and you might actually find yourself agreeing with him... for example he believes in smaller government and personal freedoms, which you'd think would be a more popular stance on this board. Isn't that what everyone (liberal and conservative alike) is always claiming they believe in too? Weird.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,082,201 times
Quote:
Yes, that could be the problem - since they only show the "controversial" comments in those clips! Watch a few of his full-length episodes on HBO.com, and you might actually find yourself agreeing with him... for example he believes in smaller government and personal freedoms, which you'd think would be a more popular stance on this board. Isn't that what everyone (liberal and conservative alike) is always claiming they believe in too? Weird.
Well, liberals do not really believe in smaller government and in some cases not in personal freedom. They believe government should be used to protect the workers. While liberals do believe in free sex, they still want to ban prostitution. Also, liberals want to force me to join an union and many do not really believe in free speech.

Many conservatives don't either. Just spending less does not mean a smaller government. A government that mandates who you can have sex with, school teaching, other countries, etc. is not small. It just a big government who doesn't help poor people.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,815,795 times
Quote:
Why does that even matter, and haven't we beaten this dead horse enough already?

I think Bill Maher is hilarious, and I guess I'm not as easily offended as some people here... Rush is funny too, but in more of an unintentional "does he really believe that stuff?" kinda way.

Do you laugh when he makes jokes about Down Syndrome babies?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,703,970 times
The right's attacks on Maher are an attempt to distract from the behavior of their patron saint, Rush Limbaugh. Don't fall for it.

Besides, Limbaugh has a LOT more listeners/viewers than Maher. The two personalities really aren't good comparisons.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,776,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I say that's 100% true. Bashing others, unfortunately, is a great way to get ratings.
I wish Obama agreed with you. At least Limbaugh had the guts to apologize. Obama on the other hand is pocketing a million of Mahers money.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,776,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The right's attacks on Maher are an attempt to distract from the behavior of their patron saint, Rush Limbaugh. Don't fall for it.

Besides, Limbaugh has a LOT more listeners/viewers than Maher. The two personalities really aren't good comparisons.
Lol, Maher's audience is big enough to allow him to earn enough to give Obama a million bucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies