Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times

Advertisements

Is there really any point in working and paying taxes anymore. Seems like being on welfare pays off, at least as it pertains to a $$$received/work done basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
My son builds and remodels homes in the summer to pay for his college but I hope, I truly hope he learns some humility and something about the plight of others and someday when he get's old he won't spend his days on C-D spreading hate about poor people.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I really think in some way that student loan forgiveness would help the economy. I have many friends and family that are not buying cars, houses, investing, etc because they have a $500 monthly student loan payment. Many are still living at home. If all that was gone, I'm sure they will find lots to spend their money on. These people are not deadbeats but they simply know they cannot go out and afford anything with this noose around their neck for the next 10+ years.

At the very least, student loans should be gone with bankruptcy.
Seriously, you realize the taxpayers are screwed out of the money if they default or are allowed to discharge on BK.

So they have to live at home or forgo a new car in order to pay their loan? :smack

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM

229 posts, read 206,964 times
More proof that college has turn into a money making ponzy scheme. Heck the total student loan debt has surpassed 1 trillion dollars!!!! Now way in hell that is ever going to be repaid.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My son builds and remodels homes in the summer to pay for his college but I hope, I truly hope he learns some humility and something about the plight of others and someday when he get's old he won't spend his days on C-D spreading hate about poor people.
So expecting others to use common sense before taking out huge loans, be it student or home loans, is spewing hate?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
* takes out $100k for college*

* uses $100k to start business instead*

* not make a single payment*

*walk away from all debt within 10 years*

*laughs at taxpayers*
***Goes to prison for fraud. Anyone who has read a student loan agreement knows the lenders have clearly anticipated people trying to use money for non education purposes.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
So expecting others to use common sense before taking out huge loans, be it student or home loans, is spewing hate?
What common sense are you speaking of?

So a kid who has great grades get's accepted into a good college but his parents cannot afford to pay for it. How else is he/she going to pay for their education?

Go to some cheap state school when they have the brains to go to a top university?

Or just forget about going to college?

Why not give them some help? The government subsidizes everything else under the sun, why not subsidize the brains of the future?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
I don't buy this story. You don't graduate nursing school and pass the NCLEX as this person supposedly did without a certain level of knowledge, especially the passing the NCLEX part. That is not an easy test by any stretch of the imagination. I have to call BS on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Here is a true story of federal student loan abuse:

The Subprime Student Loan Racket - Stephen Burd

Old 03-12-2012, 07:54 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Why not give them some help? The government subsidizes everything else under the sun, why not subsidize the brains of the future?
Thanks for providing a shining example of why this country is SCREWED.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not singling you out.....but.....Were you forced to sign a Promissory Note? Did you complete your general ed credits at a community college? Did you apply for scholarships? Did you work during college? Did you do internships?

Basically, if you didn't do all of these things, then you didn't take the most responsible path to a college education. I'm not singling you out personally, i'm just saying that everything can't be blamed on "the system." The student retains control of the decisions made, including the acceptance of the cost of college.

Yes I signed, I rolled my eyes at the fine print, I had no financial knowledge, I just signed whatever they put in front of me that would get me thru school. I worked my butt off in high school and got mostly scholarships, I worked during college, I sometimes worked 2 jobs, I took 8 years to graduate but I did it. I did not go to a community college, I wished I had though.

Why do you just automatically assume that I'm at fault and did none of these things and I slacked off??? PLUS ALL MY LOANS ARE PAID OFF.

The decline of America is the government deregulating and lobbyists lining congressional pockets and telling us all to bend over and people wanting to wag their fingers at the little guy in shame for having no morals without educating themselves to the entrenched morass that our corporate-owned fascist country has become.

Last edited by scratchNsniff; 03-12-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies