Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I know many people with student loans, some are paying off their school debts responsibly and admirably, some who paid them off, and some whose lives (and their kids' lives) would benefit greatly from being able to discharge their student loans in bankruptcy, and some who cannot take certain jobs because it will not allow them to pay rent AND their student loans. I don't know ANYBODY who fits the description you gave of a student loan scofflaw that you swear must be out there somewhere.
Which student scofflaw description are you talking about? I didn't really point one particular story out in this thread did I? If I did...I don't remember it. Nevertheless, there are plenty of stories of student loans and bad decisions. I can provide a link with 100's of stories of people who've made horrific life decisions....and they ALL want a bailout from those bad decisions. I can't support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
I know many people with student loans, some are paying off their school debts responsibly and admirably, some who paid them off, and some whose lives (and their kids' lives) would benefit greatly from being able to discharge their student loans in bankruptcy, and some who cannot take certain jobs because it will not allow them to pay rent AND their student loans. I don't know ANYBODY who fits the description you gave of a student loan scofflaw that you swear must be out there somewhere.
I also know people up to their eyeballs in credit card debt. So what they liked to shop and have nice clothes and a lot of shoes, took some really nice vacations and stayed in elegant hotels.

They're having trouble paying their debts off -- shouldn't they be given a free ride also? How about after 10 years of paying ANY loan making only the minimum payment on it, the government come and rescue you?

Or how is it fair that someone who went to trade school and never took out a loan will have to pay higher taxes because the fat cats are making big money with their college degrees but don't want to have to pay up?

Just give everyone $100,000 free money.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Young culture looks down on low paying jobs, who pushed all these college programs? Why do I see IT grads being promised big money when a good amount of jobs are overseas? Someone is pushing false hopes and dreams on the youth. What the other poster said is true, how many young people don't even know how to cook these days?

Colleges pushing careers when after graduation, you'll make 9 a hour.
I still don't see where the corporations are suffering.
If people go through college and can't cook etc., whose fault is that? The school? Corporations? The kid who is now a grown-up and the parents who never taught them life skills?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Quote:
I also know people up to their eyeballs in credit card debt... They're having trouble paying their debts off -- shouldn't they be given a free ride also?
Credit card debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There are all kinds of bills introduced. I doubt its goig anywhere because they know if they pass such aq law its the end of student loas as we know them. I mean who is going to give a unsecured loan that can be forgiven to a student without special considerations;really.
It sounds like the government wants to guarantee these loans with taxpayer dollars. I can think plenty of the banks will eagerly make these loans, knowing the hard working taxpayer is the one who will be sure to pay them up.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Okay...follow along, lefties....

The federal government states that it's unfair that every kid who "wants" to go to college should be able to, regardless of their ability.

Am I right so far? Of course I am.

Now....the federal government guarantees the loans to the banks....so now the "greedy banksters" have no risk in lending to anyone.

Right?

Okay....now, the "big colleges" realize this and continually raise tuition (who's to stop them, right?) because they have no responsibility for overcharging their customers (the students) for half assed degrees which aren't capable of getting one an interview at McDonalds.

The student graduates with a mountain of debt (which they can neither run from, pay, or include in a bankruptcy), the bank gets their money from the government, and we, the American people are left with the bill.

Now, this very same government (which created the problem) is going to fix the problem by taking from the tax payers yet again!

The banks get theirs, the universities get theirs, the lefties in congress get re-elected (because they "helped" the college debt crisis, and the American taxpayer gets screwed again!

Pretty f*#€ed up if you ask me.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Credit card debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy.
I know -- and after a few months, the credit card offers start showing up and the irresponsible spender is right back spending.

Also the credit card spender gets to keep the loot obtained before declaring bankruptcy.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
I wonder how much homes would cost if everybody took out a mortgage that the government paid off in ten years? I love Palo Alto but there are some fine estates in the wine country. If all I have to do is make a small token payment for ten years before Uncle Sam takes over, put me down for a few hundred acres in Santa Barbara or the wine country...

You yokels think tuition is expensive now? Stick around.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The decline of America, at the behest of our refusal to place a premimum on Personal Responsibility, is even steeper than we ever thought it could be in the United States of America. After 10 years of payments, federal student loans would be absorbed by taxpayers.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...12hr4170ih.pdf

I can't even wrap my head around this. What should be a complete outrage is complete numbness. How in the hell did we get here?
The bill sounds like it will be a bit difficult to utilize - you have to prove that for the last 10 years, at least 10% of your income was spent on student loans, now, I wonder if that's 10% total, or 10% each and every year...

Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Wouldn't it make you mad if you paid your student loan, home mortgage, car loan but your neighbor got his all free ?

It does me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies