Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The Democrats are calling the GOP's bluff. They hope to exploit a no vote from the House GOP to try to motivate young people to vote for Obama again
It is a win/win for them when you look at it politically. However, I don't think it will make it out of committee.

They are doing everything they can to "buy" some votes from young people who may not even vote without something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
People like Romney suck. They earn most of the dollars in this country by voting themselves raises for doing nothing but screwing over the middle class. Then they whine when they have to pay taxes on their income. I'm sick of it. Talk about lack of personal responsibility and fairness!

When did Romney ever vote himself a raise?
You also probably have no idea how much he gives away.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:13 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
When I get the bill for the portion of those "forgiven" loans that I have to now pay as a taxpayer, I'll send it to you.
If you want to get that money back, you won't find it with the debtors, since most student loan money goes directly to tuition.

Get it back from the colleges themselves, especially their administrators. Student loan money is financing all those $800,000+ executive salaries among university board members. And not just universities - but also many training academies and technical institutes as well.

That's where you ought to be looking.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Forgiving legal debt is anti-American and rewarding bad decisions undermines the values that this nation was founded on. Perhaps you don't share those values?
Ahhh...."LEGAL DEBT." lol....right.

Don't worry about my values, and i won't worry about yours.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ahhh...."LEGAL DEBT." lol....right.

Don't worry about my values, and i won't worry about yours.
Do you know what a Promissory Note is? It sure doesn't sound like it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Yes, also sallie Mae will tack on 50 a month if you defer your loans. With both parents dead, guys probably lives with granny.

Sorry right wingers but the economy really is hurting and companies have been false jobs for years. The student loans should be forgiven only for students who couldn't pay them back for a long time.
I guess I missed what you say in that bill. Somehow it seemed that all students could get this good deal.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Why are kids getting out of college having so much trouble finding employment and paying back their debt? How many BA's of social services do we really need??
You just listed the whole long list of problems. It is all alone in that list that doesn't exist.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:49 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
When did Romney ever vote himself a raise?
You also probably have no idea how much he gives away.
Right. I'm sure Bain capital never lobbies Washington for a lower rate on capital gains ever. Yup.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
While getting an education is always a great thing, I don't understand why you can't get a good job without one. I am in my late 40s. Most people I know that are my age do not have a college degree and got into the job market when this was not required. Started at the bottom, the smart people excelled, and are great workers. Except for jobs that require a real specific skill set such as engineering, meteorology, and the like, it's hogwash that people "need" a degree to do the jobs that I am around in and day out. They take common sense, a good grasp/command of writing (which, for me, happened in the 8th grade, not in my freshman year of college), and some everyday math skills. If you don't have those things by the end of high school, along with some good, innate analytical skills, you're not getting them in college either.

It's just ridiculous that people have to pay $60,000-$100,000 for an education to come out and do some of this work.

How did we get here? My daughter, who is in her third year of college, can't even get an admin job in my area in an office without a 4 year degree. So ridiculous. So people are getting degrees/and debt when it's not necessary.

ITA with this. And for those who state that people need to get a specific type of degree, who will do the admin or reception jobs. In my company an admin asst needs a BA degree. It does not have to be in a specific field or require a BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
You obviously haven't the faintest clue how federal student loans work, because none of them can be deferred for ten years, and especially not when you have a steady income.
You cannot defer but you can go into forebearance for multiple years surpassing 10 years. Over the past 20 some odd years since my husband graduated college he has been on deferment or forebearance for at least 10 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Business is NOT looking for BA degreed students... The EASY degrees are NOT paying.. If you get a BS degree your chances of a higher income much better.. Kids are wanting the easy degrees and still get the big bucks. There are jobs requiring a BS degree that are going unfilled. A social science major is NOT qualified to get a job requiring mathmatical or scientific knowledge.
I have a BA and am an integral part of my business. I started as a receptionist/admin and am now the director of a department. I have a BA in English. Many businesses that I have worked for (I have even worked in the banking industry for over 5 years) were impressed by my writing skills and I have written many technical sources, brochures, and manuals. Most mathematical/sciencey or even business degreed people cannot do what I do. It depends on how one markets themselves. I always bring something to the table and pretty much every business I have worked for I have let them know that I am good at writing and they see it as a plus as not many people know how to write well. I am 32 just so you know so not a boomer.

But on subject, I am mixed about the forgiveness factor. There is already a program to forgive any debt after 25 years and I think that is fair. Honestly I do think that 10 years is good enough being that we have paid for my husband's college education (he has a BS BTW and I make more money than him in a better position so the BS thing to me is exactly that, BS) probably twice over in the 11 years or so that we have made consistent payments. I have already paid for my loans as well even though I will not be eligible for forgiveness of my loans until I am around 50 years old under the current re-payment plan that I am on.

I am mixed the same way I was mixed about the auto and banking bailouts. I do feel that this sort of program would help more people and may be better for our economy in the long run as people will have more disposable income and when people spend the economy improves. Also the banks who will benefit from the repayment of the loans have already received bailout money anyway so I don't really see it as a bad thing to cut in half the amount of money they are repaid. I think you all are forgetting that the principal is easily paid back, if you have the student/former student pay back the principal first instead of exorbitant amounts of interest, the loans will be paid back quicker. I would propose to do that before I would propose this new forgiveness plan, say have 80% of a payment go towards the principal and 20% to interest versus the opposite (less than opposite in most cases where only $10 to $20 if that goes toward the principal owed) which is what students/former students are paying currently.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Right. I'm sure Bain capital never lobbies Washington for a lower rate on capital gains ever. Yup.
You couldn't resist keeping Mitt Romney out of a discussion on student loan forgiveness legislation? You have a real hatred for successful people don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies