Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
The Bush administration ruined it for people not very politically aware. I'm a young person whose first glimpse into politics was Bush. The audacity and cavalier attitude of some conservatives and republicans doesn't help either. It's like they don't even care. Look at how vicious conservative people were and are to arabs and muslims simply due to 9/11. That rage and fear from the American people was all they needed go kill thousands of innocent people.

Some republicans even suggested (I'm not sure if they did) taking money from social programs to support war efforts during the Cold War, and that wasn't even an actual war, so I wonder how money was allocated during an actual war?

It's only a stereotype, but republicans are just known as the people who don't care about other countries unless there's money to be made there, disregarding social issues. The whole Amurica, F**k Yeah" mentality where people think war is awesome and cool because we're saving the world and killing bad guys for America's continued glory. Those people are usually republicans.
And when politicians are concerned, that's about 99% of Congress. Doesn't matter what us peons think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
It's only a stereotype, but republicans are just known as the people who don't care about other countries unless there's money to be made there, disregarding social issues. The whole Amurica, F**k Yeah" mentality where people think war is awesome and cool because we're saving the world and killing bad guys for America's continued glory. Those people are usually republicans.
It's not a stereotype, it's facts.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Historically, most recent wars were initiated by Democratic governments.

You could say in a way the Civil War was, since the Democrats were largely associated with the South.

World War I - Woodrow Wilson, Democrat

World War II - Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman

Korean War - Probably the exception

Vietnam War - LBJ

The wars in the Middle East, yes were started by Republicans. But Obama isn't really any less of a warmonger than the Republicans, but why are conservatives/Republicans seen as being more pro-war?
I thought Kennedy got us into Viet Nam first.

To be fair we could NOT have gone into the Middle East if the dems had not supported them

Tom Daschel was the Senate Majority Leader. Without his support, he even co-sponsored the bill, the bill would have been killed just as Reid has killed just about every bill the House has past.

I don't know about the others.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
The Bush administration ruined it for people not very politically aware. I'm a young person whose first glimpse into politics was Bush. The audacity and cavalier attitude of some conservatives and republicans doesn't help either. It's like they don't even care. Look at how vicious conservative people were and are to arabs and muslims simply due to 9/11. That rage and fear from the American people was all they needed go kill thousands of innocent people.

Some republicans even suggested (I'm not sure if they did) taking money from social programs to support war efforts during the Cold War, and that wasn't even an actual war, so I wonder how money was allocated during an actual war?

Please provide the Congressional voting data to show that NO dems have ever voted in support of the war actions.

I think your partisan hat is on to tight.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Bascailly since the vietnam war the democrtic poarty has polls ahev shown have no real numbers as leaders in war time.Since then only reagan increased faith in leadership during Cold war defeat of russia and Bush I in the Gulf war.Te democrtic party is not the party of Roosevelt or truman as far as foreign policy is concerned or even Keenedy or Johnson for that matter.But that has also meant a huge increase in indepednents that do not identify with either aprty really.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
It's a function of the the very well-orchestrated and precise 50/50 division between Democrat and Republican in our ruling elite. It should be virtually impossible to get a nation as large as ours to split 50/50 in Presidential elections, and yet it happens every time.

Polls consistently prove that there are very few liberals compared to conservatives, and so the Republican Party gets the "hits" of being labeled labeled the "War Party" (though BOTH are obsessive WAR MONGERS) and the Party of the Religious Right. So they lose voters and the 50/50 power split is maintained.

There is NO political party representing fiscal conservatism, social liberalism, and isolationism. This would be my party.

The current "two" Party system is actually a one-Party system that simply gives the illusion of 'choice" to a very angry citizenry. Our Leaders don't care who wins the Presidential race--they own both candidates and make sure there ARE only two candidates.

The only threat is that Rob Paul and his Libertarian movement will actually sweep in and grab the voters who have been so betrayed by "their parties" and realize that after a lifetime of voting, nothing in Washington changes or improves no matter which "Party" is in Power. They now know Libertarians and Ron Paul offer the ONLY chance of stopping the war-mongering that has bankrupted our nation.

The unified Republicrat Party has been running terrified from Ron Paul, using an almost total media blackout and a pattern of scoffing and slandering (like school children) whenever Ron Paul is mentioned: "What? Ron Paul? A total Lunatic! A crazy radical! Doesn't have a chance!"

Which is exactly what they said when Ross Perot came out of the business world and clearly showed that the road we were on would lead to ruin and the well paying jobs would leave the nation with a "Great Sucking Sound." He was absolutely right, and our nation was consequently destroyed. If we had elected Ross Perot then, we wouldn't be be facing the terrible future we have now. And if everyone who didn't vote for Perot because they thought he didn't have a chance HAD voted for him, he would have WON. Let's not make that same catastrophic mistake.

The Republicans and the Democrats will both continue to cover the world with wars. If you don't want your taxes supporting this, WRITE IN Rob Paul if you have to.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
Both parties are terrible when it comes to warmongering (and it doesn't matter that we didn't start WW1 or WW2; we still entered them for no logical reason). But at the moment, the Republicans, except for Paul, are about as crazy for war as you can get.

I can't cast a vote in the 1940 election, but I can cast one in the 2012 election, and it will probably be to keep the GOP crazies out.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Historically, most recent wars were initiated by Democratic governments.

You could say in a way the Civil War was, since the Democrats were largely associated with the South.

World War I - Woodrow Wilson, Democrat

World War II - Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman

Korean War - Probably the exception

Vietnam War - LBJ

The wars in the Middle East, yes were started by Republicans. But Obama isn't really any less of a warmonger than the Republicans, but why are conservatives/Republicans seen as being more pro-war?
WW II was initiated by FDR?

The Japanese are blameless?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
because they love to start things they can't finish.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's not just wars, it is defense spending by republicans:

Democrats tend to stand for "progress" in society, development, positive ...... Dems generally favor reducing or maintaining defense spending.
I'm going to give Ronnie a pass on this one

American soldier pre-Ronald Reagan:

American Soldier post Ronald Reagan:

http://s3.apkhub.com/94b6875226494d76b7304d82a148ea6d.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies