Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,552,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
If your Mom or Dad wants to buy it for you and *gift* it to you under 21...FINE. I'm not selling it to you Jr.
So, you don't trust anyone under 21 with a handgun? Don't you trust 18 and 19 year olds with automatic weapons in Afghanistan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, you don't trust anyone under 21 with a handgun? Don't you trust 18 and 19 year olds with automatic weapons in Afghanistan?
Well Panetta doesn't.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,526,174 times
List of gun restrictions by Republican Gov. Dennis Daugaard: 1
List of gun restrictions by Democratic Pres. Barack Obama: 0

Old 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,552,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well Panetta doesn't.

Not so. Look deeper.

In any case, there's a thread on that subject already.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,173,640 times
Quote:
That sounds like gun control.
In my State you can get and be issued a LTCH when you are 18. It doesn't say anything about buying one for yourself. Your Dad or Mom *legal guardian* is letting you use his or hers until you are 21. When *gifted* it could be that twelve year olds handgun. Dad's NAME is still on the 4473 though.

Quote:
That's not the same thing as civilian ownership. When returning to the States, they can't purchace or own Class III anymore than a high school dropout if they are both under 21.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
That is another debate that fuels threads galore and throttles people. It's not black in white. Some guys take amongst their own liberty to interpret it that way. I won't sell someone under 21 a handgun. It's my ass if someone on the internet is wrong, not theirs. Feel free to do what you like. I ain't gonna.
From the ATF:

"However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting."

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
From the ATF:

"However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting."

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons
Possession! Where does it say to hit the newspaper and buy up the County under 21? Hmmmm??? LOL

Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times
Quote:
Hmmmm. I thought it was Obama who was coming get your guns.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Republican Gov. Dennis Daugaard vetoed a bill Friday that would have allowed any South Dakota resident 18 and older with a valid state driver's license to carry a concealed handgun without having to obtain a permit…..

….Daugaard said the state's permitting laws are already "fair and reasonable."….

S.D. governor vetoes concealed handgun bill
So this gov is opposed to concealed carry w/o permit (or at least this version of it). Obama is on record as opposing a ban on all semi-autos, from your gradma's .32 nightstand pistol to your dad's 1911 .45 ACP, to your uncle's semi-auto waterfowl shotgun. Not to mention Obama's support for the DC and Chicago laws that effectively were total bans on civilian ownership of handguns.

And you're trying to say that these two are somehow equivalent? Seriously? That's like saying that Saudi Arabia, where women can't drive at all, and the US, where she has to be 18 and have a license, are basically the same thing. Try again.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Some of my common sense logic that I apply to this. Can you sell the neighbor kid beer because you don't have a liquor license? Be careful out there dudes!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
Possession! Where does it say to hit the newspaper and buy up the County under 21? Hmmmm??? LOL
I don't even know what you're trying to say here. If you really don't believe me or the ATF site, call up the local branch of the ATF and ask them if it's legal for people Age 18, 19 and 20 to have handguns under federal law. I really dislike false info. being put out on gun laws. I had an FFL in the past, I know these laws inside and out. An FFL can't sell handguns to anyone under 21, but people age 18 to 21 can have handguns acquired otherwise (private sales, etc.). It's a bizarre quirk in the law, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies