Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
This thread isn't about Obama. It's about a GOP Governor who vetoed an open carry bill.
And it's obvious that you don't know the difference of open carry and concealed....you cannot even keep your own story straight....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
no, federal law prohibits anyone younger than 21 from buying a handgun or ammunition for handguns.

I gave a Glock 22 to my 12 year old daughter. her to use safely and responsibly.
I disagree with you and agree with SamTM. Let me proceed by letting you know, I am a gun owner. I am "X" military and am extremely accurate with my weapons. If I have to react to a situation with lethal force, I can and will, to someone else's detriment.

Federal law doesn't mean squat. Federal law prohibits marijuana, but small amounts are legal in California. So what do you do, flood California with federal agents and arrest everyone with a joint and send em to the federal lockup?

I feel that a license to carry concealed is the way to go. Yes, it's a hassle, but allows the state to ensure that the people carrying concealed are informed as to the state laws concerning handgun use, and that they are updated when changes are made to state laws.

It also allows the state to ensure that those with a CCP are legally carrying, and not some ex-felon who will use it illegally and get every responsible person criticized for the felon's misdeeds.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
I have no issue with obtaining a CCW, so long as its FREE. Any fee charged for it is just another tax on gun owners. That being said, this governor needs to be tossed out on his ass.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 AM

277 posts, read 228,678 times
Quote:
Hmmmm. I thought it was Obama who was coming get your guns.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Republican Gov. Dennis Daugaard vetoed a bill Friday that would have allowed any South Dakota resident 18 and older with a valid state driver's license to carry a concealed handgun without having to obtain a permit…..

….Daugaard said the state's permitting laws are already "fair and reasonable."….

S.D. governor vetoes concealed handgun bill
there is a difference from concealed carry to the right to carry

an education can go a long way

Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Firstly on the actual topic, the Governor is obviously a complete moron, I'd be voting him out at the next election. Don't care about his stated party affiliation either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Federal law doesn't mean squat. Federal law prohibits marijuana, but small amounts are legal in California. So what do you do, flood California with federal agents and arrest everyone with a joint and send em to the federal lockup?
Which is exactly what has happened in California, or weren't you paying attention to the DEA raids on California licensed medical marijuana growers and suppliers? Federal Law means quite a lot, I can legally according to Alaska Law manufacture select fire firearms under the terms of the state legislated "Alaskan Firearms Freedom act". However if I do that then BATFE will be kicking in my door, arresting me, and sending me to the Federal Lockup.

Quote:
I feel that a license to carry concealed is the way to go. Yes, it's a hassle, but allows the state to ensure that the people carrying concealed are informed as to the state laws concerning handgun use, and that they are updated when changes are made to state laws.
It's not just a hassle, it amounts to asking permission from the authorities to carry a concealed handgun. Does your state honestly train you on state laws concerning handgun use? If you find them so good, then would you support their extension to everyone who buys a firearm? Since all legal concealed carry owners are also all legal gun owners, but the converse is not trues. Thus there is probably a large proportion of legal gun owners don't get the benefits you see in this training.

Quote:
It also allows the state to ensure that those with a CCP are legally carrying, and not some ex-felon who will use it illegally and get every responsible person criticized for the felon's misdeeds.
CCP does nothing about felons carrying, indeed it makes things easier, if you're not a prohibited person your can carry concealed. Any police stop would be the same, not checking for a CCP because there is no CCP, and they're going to be running a background on you anyway CCP or not, to see if there's any priors or active warrants. Plus it's illegal for Felons to even own a firearm or ammunition, so how does requiring a CCP for concealed carry prevent them from carrying their illegally owned firearms?

As gun owners we constantly argue federal restrictions on ownership only affects the law abiding citizens, felons will own and carry illegally obtained firearms regardless of the requirement for a permit. CCP/CCW/LTCH/CPL's all have an effect that PROHIBTS only law abiding citizens from carrying openly, concealed or both, without asking permission, and some of you think this is a good idea. Jeez, which part of "shall not be infringed" do you guys not understand? I'm talking to the gun owners, I know the gun grabbers don't understand it.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:38 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Since the right-wingers here are always starting threads about them evil librul's and Obama coming to get our guns, I just thought it would be fun to watch them defend gun control for awhile.

And, make no mistake: This IS gun control, but since it's done by a Republican Governor, it's somehow OK or perfectly justifiable.
Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, nope, you got busted....don't try to turn this in your favor....BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 01:38 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Firstly on the actual topic, the Governor is obviously a complete moron, I'd be voting him out at the next election. Don't care about his stated party affiliation either.
Quote:
Which is exactly what has happened in California, or weren't you paying attention to the DEA raids on California licensed medical marijuana growers and suppliers? Federal Law means quite a lot, I can legally according to Alaska Law manufacture select fire firearms under the terms of the state legislated "Alaskan Firearms Freedom act". However if I do that then BATFE will be kicking in my door, arresting me, and sending me to the Federal Lockup.
Correct.
Quote:
It's not just a hassle, it amounts to asking permission from the authorities to carry a concealed handgun. Does your state honestly train you on state laws concerning handgun use? If you find them so good, then would you support their extension to everyone who buys a firearm? Since all legal concealed carry owners are also all legal gun owners, but the converse is not trues. Thus there is probably a large proportion of legal gun owners don't get the benefits you see in this training.
My state requires a class from a licensed firearms training class, where you learn those laws that you are required to know
Quote:
CCP does nothing about felons carrying, indeed it makes things easier, if you're not a prohibited person your can carry concealed. Any police stop would be the same, not checking for a CCP because there is no CCP, and they're going to be running a background on you anyway CCP or not, to see if there's any priors or active warrants. Plus it's illegal for Felons to even own a firearm or ammunition, so how does requiring a CCP for concealed carry prevent them from carrying their illegally owned firearms?

As gun owners we constantly argue federal restrictions on ownership only affects the law abiding citizens, felons will own and carry illegally obtained firearms regardless of the requirement for a permit. CCP/CCW/LTCH/CPL's all have an effect that PROHIBTS only law abiding citizens from carrying openly, concealed or both, without asking permission, and some of you think this is a good idea. Jeez, which part of "shall not be infringed" do you guys not understand? I'm talking to the gun owners, I know the gun grabbers don't understand it.
Keep and bear arms does not say keep and carry arms concealed.
I am a gun owner, in an open carry state. I have no problem applying for and obtaining a CCP.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,170,900 times
Quote:
Correct.

My state requires a class from a licensed firearms training class, where you learn those laws that you are required to know

Keep and bear arms does not say keep and carry arms concealed.
I am a gun owner, in an open carry state. I have no problem applying for and obtaining a CCP.
No one who has one really does. I don't think things would be or get better after making a law not to have to either. More p*ssing and moaning from folks who think there shouldn't be ANY restrictions. When's the last time they bought from an FFL and a filled out 4473 is the question I always have. Hell, if not...this guy bought it, this guy is carrying it, this guy sold it to someone else...this guy isn't supposed to have it!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Not flawed. Federal law only states that handguns and ammunition can't be bought by those under 21 from a FFL holder. Private sales and gifts are different, and not breaking the law. I know that in my own home state, stuff like this is legal. The most difficult part would be getting the ammo.

There is no reason to require a permit to own a gun. There is no reason to require a permit to openly carry a handgun. CCW permits in most states seemingly exist solely to educate people who would carry a gun, and to generate revenue. This is fine with me, it's not like it's hard to find a certified CCW instructor to take a class with to get a permit.

Yeah, I've never quite understood that either. Then again, it doesn't have to make sense- it's the government.

Vermont sounds great as far as that goes... but I love New Mexico.

New Mexico laws allow anyone 19 and older to own a handgun, with a few stipulations-
1. They aren't legally able to buy their own ammunition; however, anyone with half a brain can get around this if they try hard enough.
2. The handgun has to be a gift or acquired in a private sale, since FFL (gun dealers) will not sell handguns to anyone under 21.
3. They cannot carry a concealed handgun under the age of 21. Open carry is fine, though.
Proves my point! You do realize a trip to Wally World and some handgun ammo is breaking the law right?

Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Like I said way<<<<<<< back in the thread. Does that make one lick of sense? I can sell you the handgun but not the ammo? No sale from me if you are under 21!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies