Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
It seems to me that the thinking of the hyperconservatives here is the laissez faire philosophy that ruled in the latter half of the 19th century. Massive inequality, rapacious consumption of our resources, perennial saber rattling and war mongering, a view that American was divinely blessed and could steal what it wanted. White males ruled, others tread lightly and they knew their place. These were heady times when a few compiled untold wealth, and many worked for little or nothing.

It seems to me like most of the developed world has developed 20th century achievements like universal health care, environmental protections, public transportation systems that lower pollution, a strong middle class, a decline in the political influence of religion, a recognition that science should be supported and respected, and that politicians should be intelligent, highly educated people, not used care salesmen, a citizenry that embraces other culture and can speak several languages, etc. The most advanced, intelligent nations in the world have all moved in these directions, yet American conservatives seem as mired in their retrograde mindset as the hardline communists of China or N. Korea. Funny thing is, we lived through the 19th century and the 20th century was far better.

How are the American conservative demagogues (Beck, Limbaugh, Savage, Coulter, Palin, Hannity,etc.,etc.) the only group that "gets it" and all other countries and intellectual advances can be ignored? What is so great about a society of barons and serfs and uneducated masses listening to talking points by corporate schills? I liked the 20th century, and I'd like to move forward from there, not go back to a society that was unjust and unsustainable.
There are a lot more conservatives and other Republicans than those you mentioned: Palin, she actually has some good ideas but isn't all the influentual: Ann Coulter isn't really all that well liked or highly thought of: Beck, is a used to be: linbaugh is an entertainer, that is it; Savage, you would be surprised at how many people probably don't know who he is and Hannity, well he is a maybe..?? You need to realize thought, these celeberties are making more money in one day than most of us see in a month or year. Someone is paying attention or tuning in for pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 06:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Well, the 19th Century kind of sucked. And we already did that. So, might as well think about how to build a better society, not just rant about how the good old days and good ol' white folk were better. And of course the corporate "citizens" with unlimited power know best. That seems like what 90% of the posts/threads here are, just outrageous accusations or anecdotes to stir the rage of the old farts. Seems like they really have nothing creative to add to civilization anymore except to juice up the world government paranoia, attack liberals, act holier than thou, and propose more tax cuts for the richest folks (as if they needed your help).
damn,how old are you to remember the 19th cetury. I thought I was one of the oldest blabber mouths on the city Data and even I can't remember back that far.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Reading your virulent anti-American posts. One can only assume that you are a failure in this society. Socially as well as financially.
And that's exactly what those posts you are referring to are: anti-American.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
damn,how old are you to remember the 19th cetury. I thought I was one of the oldest blabber mouths on the city Data and even I can't remember back that far.
Fellow oldster here. You don't have to remember the 19th century to be affected by it.

Wearing left and right shoes in your proper size, for example....

Who Invented Our Standard Shoe Sizes?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hope you don't remember the 19th century... you would have to be over 120 years old to remember it!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Both parties stink worse than the nastiest doogy-yucky.....corrupt, vile and insane.

It is the mark of a true ideologue.............n*t hu**ing the insane party that THEY believe in, you just not seeing the truth through your insane-colored glasses.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Well, the 19th Century kind of sucked. And we already did that. So, might as well think about how to build a better society, not just rant about how the good ILd days and good ol' white folk were better. And of course the corporate "citizens" with unlimited power know best. That seems like what 90% of the posts/threads here are, just outrageous accusations or anecdotes to stir the rage of the old farts. Seems like they really have nothing creative to add to civilization anymore except to juice up the world government paranoia, attack liberals, act holier than thou, and propose more tax cuts for the richest folks (as if they needed your help).

OK, I'll ask...why do you dislike white people?

Oh, and while we're on the subject...Europe sucks.

The only reason there is peace in Europe, or anywhere else in the world, is because US troops and/or weaponry are there keeping the peace.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK, I'll ask...why do you dislike white people?

Oh, and while we're on the subject...Europe sucks.

The only reason there is peace in Europe, or anywhere else in the world, is because US troops and/or weaponry are there keeping the peace.
I have no beef with white people, as I am one. What I don't like is the kind of bs. Sarah Palin was cooking up with her moose chili. I am a real American, along with my hunky snow dude, and THEY are not. THEY are urban Americans, immigrants, liberals, gays, etc.,etc. The Vietnamese guy slaving away in a kitchen to send his daughters to Berkeley is every bit as American as some white social conservative in Wasilla or Sandpoint or Birmingham. But how many people of color do you hear spewing the far right dogma? Precious few, because the mentality seems to be that whites interests are more important.

That is not the America of the 21st Century, IMO. I don't think all conservatives hold to this, but it is one of many patterns of thinking that the old ways and old folks were better.

Europe is not perfect, but neither are they stuck in a delusional time warp where the advances of the 20th century are scorned daily, along with evolution, global warming, and nonpartisan science in general. They seem to be able to learn, because they live in reality, not a manufactured world of platitudes and hot air.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 03-18-2012 at 11:01 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
The Vietnamese guy slaving away in a kitchen to send his daughters to Berkeley is every bit as American as some white social conservative in Wasilla or Sandpoint or Birmingham. But how many people of color do you hear spewing the far right dogma? Precious few, because the mentality seems to be that whites interests are more important.
That Vietnamese might well have come here to escape repression by the authoritarians (masquerading as followers of Marx) persecuting all diseent in his country. It's the reason why many Korean and Vietnamese-Americans ally themselves with the GOP

Quote:
That is not the America of the 21st Century, IMO. I don't think all conservatives hold to this, but it is one of many patterns of thinking that the old ways and old folks were better.
And there are a lot of us who hold a skeptical attitude toward Rick Santorum and his Neandethals, who are tryng to hijack the Repbulican Party the same way radicals like Abbie Hoffman and Mario Cuomo did to the Democrats back in the 1960's. But neither are we buying into the simplistic pablum doled out by Barry-O and the WonderPets.

Quote:
Europe is not perfect, but neither are they stuck in a delusional time warp where the advances of the 20th century are scorned daily, along with evolution, global warming, and nonpartisan science in general. They seem to be able to learn, because they live in reality, not a manufactured world of platitudes and hot air.
Europe maintains a slick veneer of refinement; no one on this side of the Atlantic discovers what it's really like, with its class-consciousness, constipated bureaucracies, diminished hopes for acheivement, etc, until they either visit it outside the usual tourist agenda, or someone raised in Europe marries into their family, as was the case for me. Within the past century, one hundred million new graves were filled by victims of fascism, collectivism and war, and the majority of them lie between the Seine, the Danube, and the Volga.

I'll stick with the tried and true ... as preserved and enhanced by the likes of Ike and Reagan.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-18-2012 at 11:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies