Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of capital punishment do you think Zimmerman deserve?
Lethal injection 2 11.76%
Electric chair 4 23.53%
Hanging 4 23.53%
Shooting squad 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,994,476 times

Advertisements

Something quick. I'm sorry but the idea that these people, ANY person who murders another person in cold blood gets to chill out for X number of years, eating 3 meals a day, watching TV, playing card at a iron barred summer camp/boarding school is RIDICULOUS.

We have murderers and rapists just watching TV in the day/rec room and eating food. WHY are people like this even still breathing air?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Something quick. I'm sorry but the idea that these people, ANY person who murders another person in cold blood gets to chill out for X number of years, eating 3 meals a day, watching TV, playing card at a iron barred summer camp/boarding school is RIDICULOUS.

We have murderers and rapists just watching TV in the day/rec room and eating food. WHY are people like this even still breathing air?
Because some of us are not barbaric.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Because some of us are not barbaric.
Capitol justice is Biblical, Harrier. The reason scum like this killer are killing like this, is because they aren't put to death when they maliciously destroy another human life. Swift Capitol punishment would deter hard core crime.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Capitol justice is Biblical, Harrier. The reason scum like this killer are killing like this, is because they aren't put to death when they maliciously destroy another human life. Swift Capitol punishment would detur hard core crime.
Studies have not proven that the death penalty is a deterrant - they have shown that the DP has no measurable effect at all. While capital punishment may be Biblical - I see no requirement that it be in the penal arsenal of every nation-state.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Studies have not proven that the death penalty is a deterrant.
Studies be DAMNED!! Anti- death penalty advocates are the morons who do those studies. Not reliable. Bias and prejudiced.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Studies be DAMNED!! Anti- death penalty advocates are the morons who do those studies. Not reliable.
sigh...

Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,597 times
Quote:
Studies have not proven that the death penalty is a deterrant - they have shown that the DP has no measurable effect at all. While capital punishment may be Biblical - I see no requirement that it be in the penal arsenal of every nation-state.
Is any other form of punishment a deterrent then? Whether capital punishment is a deterrent or not, it is justice in my opinion. Call it vengeance if you may. I believe the punishment should meet the crime. Zimmerman more than deserves the death penalty.

Last edited by NewYorkGuy; 03-21-2012 at 12:53 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Is any other form of punishment a deterrent then? Whether capital punishment is a deterrent or not, it is justice in my opinion. Call it vengeance if you may. I believe the punishment should meet the crime.
Tell it like it is...or how it should be!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
It's seems like your prayers may have been working. Although I've always wanted it, I've never been called for Jury duty whereas others who could care less are often called. I have a very strong sense for justice. I'm a criminal's worst nightmare.

It's called humanity. Because someone is hundreds of miles away doesn't mean you can't "feel their pain". Should we also turn a blind eye to genocide and other atrocities against humans just because they are far away from us? That's a very selfish perspective to take in life.

Also this is about justice and the idea of living in a safe country. No one wants to live in a country where you can be arbitrarily gunned down on the street just because of the way you look. Something like that is not supposed to happen in today's America.
I don't have any issue with showing empathy for others, I just don't see the point in getting worked up over it. Just like the Casey Anthony thing- people were crying at the verdict, and saying this and that and whatever (like they knew better than anyone else), and the thing is that unfortunately this man's fate has been sealed before he even gets a fair trial, just like hers. IDK what's going on with the police, but since I'm not a policeman in Florida I can't really make an educated comment. Maybe there's something that's been left out? Point of this statement being that you aren't showing grief or distress like a normal person would- you're advocating the killing of a man who as of yet has not been convicted of anything because you're on some sort of personal crusade over it. Why waste the energy when nothing you PERSONALLY do will change what happened or its eventual outcome, especially when the chances of you being involved are very slim?

My point being that if you really believe he's guilty, wait to ask what kind of punishment he should get until AFTER he's been tried. Or does that somehow not play into your "strong sense of justice"? I think you're just an average guy who has delusions of being judge, jury, and executioner. Someone who was at some point weak and/or powerless and wants payback for it.

As for "stuff like this isn't supposed to happen in today's America"- it's unfortunate that it does, but it happens to more than just some random black kid on a street. It happens to old white people in parking lots, clerks in convenience stores, people who go to church, and women who are out late at night or are alone for whatever reason. It's not unique to skin color or a certain demographic.

And thanks for being concerned about my lack of empathy, or my "insensitivity". I assure you, it's not what you think. It's just that I stopped caring because there's never any good news anymore, it's all doom, gloom, blood, and guts in the media these days.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,994 times
The dude will do about 4 yrs for voluntary manslaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies