Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,961,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm still laughing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,861,242 times
Gordie Howe would never wear bicycle helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I still laugh when I see a kid riding around on their bike with a helmet on.

Last edited by joebaldknobber; 03-24-2012 at 11:32 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,943,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Gordie Howe would never where a bicycle helmet.
Or his dentures......

Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No kidding. A lot more dumb or dead kids because of serious head injuries.
There is a lot more known today about them and second impact syndrome. When my daughter had a concussion she couldn't even get back on her horse for a certain period of time until the doc cleared her.

Tragically, I saw why this past fall when a football player in my daughter's high school collapsed after a minor head impact during the homecoming game in September. It turned out that he'd suffered a blow to his head a few days earlier during practice and didn't tell his coach. The second impact caused a bleed and he suffered a stroke and was in a coma for a month. That bright young man who was due to graduate this spring is in a wheelchair now and just got out of the rehabilitative hospital. Maybe he'll be able to lead a normal life someday.

When I see a kid wearing a helmet with a bike, I figure he/she has intelligent parents.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,774,085 times
Funny thread! Yea, my grandparents had a wrecking yard, and a bunch of old dirt track race cars. You've never seen a grin like a 9 year old boy attacking an old car with a cutting torch! As long as he doesn't hit the gas tank, it's fine!

Chemistry sets? I am not sure why, but everything I tried smelled like rotten eggs and an electrical fire. Great fun!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,402,787 times
Roundabouts...now those were fun...get them going a good speed, hang on for dear life and watch the other kids go flying off in all directions. Now they have all but disappeared and all playgrounds have 3 inches of soft padding if you fall.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
There is a lot more known today about them and second impact syndrome. When my daughter had a concussion she couldn't even get back on her horse for a certain period of time until the doc cleared her.

Tragically, I saw why this past fall when a football player in my daughter's high school collapsed after a minor head impact during the homecoming game in September. It turned out that he'd suffered a blow to his head a few days earlier during practice and didn't tell his coach. The second impact caused a bleed and he suffered a stroke and was in a coma for a month. That bright young man who was due to graduate this spring is in a wheelchair now and just got out of the rehabilitative hospital. Maybe he'll be able to lead a normal life someday.

When I see a kid wearing a helmet with a bike, I figure he/she has intelligent parents.
That reminds me of a story about a young Colorado high school football player. He had a similar history, but he died on the field.

Senate Bill 40

Jake Snakenberg and the Colorado concussion law - Sports Concussions

Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post

Don't quite see the connection between football and bike riding.

Anyhoo ---- Here in Japan, everybody rides bikes. Everyday. Everywhere. NOBODY wears helmets. Instead, they avoid having accidents. There's a novel concept that has yet to occur to most Americans.

And the Japanese are considered pretty intelligent people. Not many fatties, either...

Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,961,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Roundabouts...now those were fun...get them going a good speed, hang on for dear life and watch the other kids go flying off in all directions. Now they have all but disappeared and all playgrounds have 3 inches of soft padding if you fall.
Remember when they started putting the PVC pipes on the swingset chains? That pissed me off.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,943,934 times
Did anyone else ever jump off the barn with a sheet as a parachute??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies