Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Zimmerman was "attacked" by the kid he was stalking, while brandishing a weapon. Zimmerman had no business even following the kid, as he was instructed to not leave his vehicle.
A dispatcher's instruction doesn't trump the Constitution he can go and follow whomever he likes as long as he is not threatening bodily harm.

Quote:
Zimmerman witnessed no crime, but said "they always get away".
"They" would refer to the non resident young black males who had burglarized the neighborhood previously. Trayvon fit that profile. He's a non resident, young black male.

Quote:
Away from what? What exactly did he feel Martin was getting away from &if he feared for his life, why did he pursue Martin?
You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension or are unfamiliar with the story. Zimmerman's self defense claim is based on the fight not merely that he was scared of Trayvon.

Quote:
Oh, that's right he had a gun. Zimmerman could well have been pursuing Martin in order to kill him, and Martin got the better of him, so Zimmerman did what any coward with a gun would do, and shot Martin.
Okay now you are entering the realm of fantasy. It's hard having rational discussions with people who make up facts as they seem fit.

Quote:
Zimmerman's a POS who should spend the rest of his life, regretting what he did, in a jail cell being somebody's *****.
Thankfully we have a Constitution that protects Zimmerman from the irrational rantings and version of justice that you seek.

3,085 posts, read 5,244,502 times
One need only look as far as the John White case of 2006 for the answer. White was convicted of manslaughter 2 and actually did prison time before his pardon in 2010 for the 2006 shooting death of 17 yr-old Daniel Cicciaro. Cicciaro, who was white, showed up at the driveway of White, who is black, with a small mob of young intoxicated white men to avenge what they thought to be a threat of sexual assault on a white girl by White's son on an internet message board (the threat turned out to be false). White came out of his home to confront the young men with with his pistol when Cicciaro lunged at him, causing (what White contended) the gun to accidentally go off, striking Cicciaro in the face.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/nyregion/23trial.html

ETA:

Sound familiar?

Quote:
Daniel was described as a hard-working, popular teenager who ran his own thriving car repair business. His parents adamantly insisted outside court that their son was not a racist, noting that Ms. Cicciaro is of Puerto Rican heritage, and that he had black friends, including Aaron White.

Last edited by MrSykes; 03-26-2012 at 07:51 AM..

8,091 posts, read 5,916,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
And are you, "SuperManGuy" actually trying to say that a 250 pound man, in a car, with a loaded gun should feel threatened by a 140 pound kid, walking on the street??

Funny enough if I were to feel threatened by a kid on a street, I go in the opposite direction not toward them.

it wasn't about him feeling threatened....

He wanted to make sure the dude wasn't engaging in petty crime. Obviously, he became obsessed with the recent break ins. Was it stupid for him to do so? Yes.

The whole "threatened by the black man with a bag of skittles" didn't come into play until he was knocked to the ground and having his face pounded.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,976,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
What difference does it make? Someone posted a more updated photo. He still has the baby face.

This looks like it might be a recent pic. Not seeing much difference. My (black) nephew is 17 and he has a baby face also.
It makes a big difference in perception.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
I wonder how the MSM will define obama now; a black caucasian, a white kenyan??
I'm not sure. I've always found it odd that Obama has been linked to the general African American community. When he is not only of mixed race but his "black" side is African (from a country American slaves did not even come from) and thus has no link to the vast majority of African Americans.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,375,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
So their lives mean less? I'm not just talking about crime, but deaths in general. Car accidents, natural disasters, etc.

I'm not necessarily talking about Making the NY Times front page either. But a white person dying has more likelihood of making it on the local news than a black person dying.

White people's lives are treated as more precious, and their deaths more tragic, than black people's lives and deaths, by the media in general.

Of course there are exceptions, and of course not every single death makes the news, but of the ones that do, more white ones are reported than black ones. You can argue technicalities but in the end, the trend is still there.
You have absolutely no proof of that, do you? And I mean other than your strongly held opinions.

By the way, on Saturday afternoon a couple miles from where I live, a group of black teens hit a white kid in the face with a brick they threw at him. White kid was just riding his bike through the park. Why didn't that make national news? Shoot, it didn't even make headline news in the local paper.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,091,534 times
Just an observation from the 90s, living in Chicago then.

The neighborhoods that were unsafe for whites were generally unsafe for everybody.

But there were a lot of other neighborhoods that were only unsafe for blacks.

Like I said... just an observation.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
The witness "who saw it all" is who I believe in this case. He/she is the only person who saw it all go down and even refused Zimmerman's plea for help and instead went to call 911. That tells the story in my view.

Every other perspective is pure speculation by people who did not see the action. I believe in the end it will be the Defenders of Trayvon who have egg on their collective faces.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Even if this is to be believed (and we have no medical reports to know if this is true and the police failed to collect any evidence, take pics, etc), how does this change anything?
They noted his injuries, appearance and the fact that his back was wet on the police report.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,787,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Zimmerman was "attacked" by the kid he was stalking, while brandishing a weapon. Zimmerman had no business even following the kid, as he was instructed to not leave his vehicle. Zimmerman witnessed no crime, but said "they always get away". Away from what? What exactly did he feel Martin was getting away from & if he feared for his life, why did he pursue Martin? Oh, that's right he had a gun. Zimmerman could well have been pursuing Martin in order to kill him, and Martin got the better of him, so Zimmerman did what any coward with a gun would do, and shot Martin.
Zimmerman's a POS who should spend the rest of his life, regretting what he did, in a jail cell being somebody's *****.
I've yet to hear or read what "weapon" Trayvon used to hit Zimmerman in the back of the head? Was it the bag of Skittles? Supposedly they were fighting on grass. As for Zimmerman's "eye witness", was he so full of fear that he just stood by and watched what was going on? Were these two, big brave men actually in total fear of Trayvon? Did the police take photos of Zimmerman's head injury??

If Zimmerman has an "eye witness", I bet the "eye witness" thought that SYG would result in no arrest. I wonder if there is an arrest of Zimmerman and it goes to court, if the "eye witness" is prepared to take the stand and make the same testimony.

ETA: Witness Claims George Zimmerman Never Tried to... | Gather
Quote:

In an interview airing Sunday on NBC's Dateline, a witness claims she never saw Zimmerman attempt to aid or resuscitate Trayvon as he lay face down on the ground, dying. Mary Cutcher and her roommate were likely the first two people on the scene after the shooting occurred. Cutcher told police that she saw Zimmerman straddling the boy, hands behind his back, offering no help whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies