Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
OMG!!!! $250 a month?! Where do I sign up? Oh wait, last I checked OOC, coverage for me, my husband and our children would be $700 per month.
That's not outrageous for a family of 3 or 4 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Don't get me started on what the medicaid patients parade into our ER with...holy crap...they have nicer sh*t than I have.
Have you ever inquired as to how they got these items? I'm sure I got plenty of dirty looks when I was on disability and walking around with an $800 Coach purse.

Of course, I purchased it at an estate sale many years before for $50, but that's not what people saw. I've also been able to purchase a $300 pair of designer jeans (tags still on!) at a Goodwill for $15.

Sure, broke people may have 'nice things' but who knows how they got them?

5,524 posts, read 9,944,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have a pre existing condition.
I have never even received a quote at all. Period.
Once they find out about my disorder, they have all told me there is nothing they can do and wished me well. What should people like me do?
There are coverages for people with Pre-existing conditions. Not insurance per say but ones where you are prepaid a certain amount for a regular visit ($75) and it's up to you to either pay the balance or convince the Dr. to not charge you. You have to have been denied once before but it's a pretty decent alternative to nothing.

There are some "conditions" to it though but too many. My wife sells insurance in NC and has talked to some people about that in the recent past.

7,923 posts, read 8,852,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
geeoro, With 150 million plus insured via employer, its hardly elitist. Its common to be insured, and uncommon not to be.
Do you know how many of the 150 million plus are UNDER insured because they have to take the absolute basic company health insurance as they cannot afford the better insurance. They have some kind of insurance but they also know that they CANNOT pay the co pay if they are sick so they still pray they don't get sick....... how wonderful.
The point of the thread is some insurance is super affordable. Now I realize folks would prefer to buy new electronics with the money, and use other folks wallets, but that would be morally repugnant, if they are capable of being self-sufficient.
NO Insurance here now is super affordable........... I have used Govt funded health care which really is SUPER AFFORDABLE and i know the difference.
America does not have a truly viable health system but instead it has a for profit restricted health regime.
Health is our most important procession and to treat it as a lottery that is only achievable through wealth is absolutely disgusting. I remember when i trained in medicine in the UK and a consultant told us that every single person who comes to the Hospital is someone's VIP and we must remember that and make sure we give them the best treatment possible no matter how old or how rich............. Unfortunately in the USA the more money you have the better treatment you expect............. Thought America was all about.....
"WE THE PEOPLE" not "WE THE WEALTHY".............

Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,510,566 times
My 63 year old mother pays 600 a month for herself only, she has rheumatoid arthritis and her boss has hinted of taking her off the plan because it is raising everyone's premiums.

Affordable? Good Policy? Priorities?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sounds like you're getting raped by the insurance company. I just used the link supplied in the OP to do a quote on a 57 year old male in Washington DC and the rates were averaging $240 dollars on the upper end for just him. I can't imagine adding the wife would be $1,300 more.

Have you EVER shopped around?
Unless what you looked up was an HMO or stop gappy thingy, insurance here is not cheap. High cost area. Blue Cross blue shield is very good insurance. An HMO would be fine for me but not the wife, at all, what so ever. Bad mojo.
The reason our rates where high is because there was no employee younger than 37, small group.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
There are coverages for people with Pre-existing conditions. Not insurance per say but ones where you are prepaid a certain amount for a regular visit ($75) and it's up to you to either pay the balance or convince the Dr. to not charge you. You have to have been denied once before but it's a pretty decent alternative to nothing.

There are some "conditions" to it though but too many. My wife sells insurance in NC and has talked to some people about that in the recent past.
I can't afford the extra $25,000 a month they would charge me beyond the dr. visit, but thanks anyway

Most insurance people haven't dealt with someone who has a chronic condition like mine, it's rather expensive.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My 63 year old mother pays 600 a month for herself only, she has rheumatoid arthritis and her boss has hinted of taking her off the plan because it is raising everyone's premiums.

I've actually been fired from a job due to causing higher insurance premiums.

I didn't find out about it until many years later...but now I keep my mouth shut about any and all medical issues.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

I assume you mean she's paying that up and above what Medicare pays? Why is she not enrolled in Medicare Advantage? I don't know all the ins-and-outs of Medicare, but is she doing everything she could to keep her costs contained?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,510,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've actually been fired from a job due to causing higher insurance premiums.

I didn't find out about it until many years later...but now I keep my mouth shut about any and all medical issues.
Oh yeah her boss has hinted of firing her as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies