Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That would be putting the trust 100% in a police department that has had issues in the past.
I generally do until proven otherwise. I mean what motivation would the police have to put their careers at risk for George Zimmerman?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 AM

32,125 posts, read 34,797,313 times
Zimmerman reminds me of this kid I knew in high school who was eventually arrested for impersonating a Pennsylvania highway trooper. For some reason, this kid had a fascination with highway patrolmen going back to elementary school. He may have never been caught if he hadn't pulled over a car in New Jersey.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,680,541 times
I hate putting personal info on here, but it's so applicable that I will.

I have a cousin who was jumped. He was jumped because he was gay. He was attacked, from behind, when he got out of his car.

He was discharged from the ER, and we thought, "OK. The police will handle this. It's cut and dry. We know who attacked him. They'll be arrested and justice will be served."

1 day passed. 2 days passed. This kid was not arrested. I took my cousin to the police station. They brushed me off and said they were looking into it. 3 days passed. 4 days passed. Getting angrier and angrier, we went to the police station again. Nothing happened. 5 days. We go back and they said they interviewed the kid... and that he said my cousin "looked at him the wrong way like he was interested in him sexually" and that's why he attacked him, and they were investigating it. Still no arrest. This was infuriating to me, as it was almost like they were blaming my cousin for this attack!

The only way we were able to get the cops to do something, was me bringing a lawyer friend to the station, and threatening to go to the media, and press hate crime charges.

Finally, after that, the kid was arrested, charged, convicted. It was an infuriating process. It also taught me why hate crime laws are necessary (my cousin declined to pursue it as a hate crime). It also taught me that the police don't always do the right thing. Up until that point, I always trusted that the police will take care of things and justice will be served. It doesn't always happen.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
The difference here is the scrutiny has been at 1000% for two weeks now we have the Feds and a new DA. Oprah's and Obama have weighed in. Polls want Zimmerman arrested yet no charges have been filed. To me this is far more damning then a month old police video.
Quote:

I have a cousin who was jumped. He was jumped because he was gay. He was attacked, from behind, when he got out of his car.

He was discharged from the ER, and we thought, "OK. The police will handle this. It's cut and dry. We know who attacked him. They'll be arrested and justice will be served."

1 day passed. 2 days passed. This kid was not arrested. I took my cousin to the police station. They brushed me off and said they were looking into it. 3 days passed. 4 days passed. Getting angrier and angrier, we went to the police station again. Nothing happened. 5 days. We go back and they said they interviewed the kid... and that he said my cousin "looked at him the wrong way like he was interested in him sexually" and that's why he attacked him, and they were investigating it. Still no arrest. This was infuriating to me, as it was almost like they were blaming my cousin for this attack!

The only way we were able to get the cops to do something, was me bringing a lawyer friend to the station, and threatening to go to the media, and press hate crime charges.

Finally, after that, the kid was arrested, charged, convicted. It was an infuriating process. It also taught me why hate crime laws are necessary (my cousin declined to pursue it as a hate crime). It also taught me that the police don't always do the right thing.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 AM

754 posts, read 1,740,721 times
Quote:

Finally, after that, the kid was arrested, charged, convicted. It was an infuriating process. It also taught me why hate crime laws are necessary (my cousin declined to pursue it as a hate crime). It also taught me that the police don't always do the right thing. Up until that point, I always trusted that the police will take care of things and justice will be served. It doesn't always happen.

That is truly horrendous, and I am sorry that it happened to you and your family. Thank you for sharing and allowing all the naysayers to see that the "system" isn't perfect and sometimes pressure from victims/family members/public is what it takes to keep the scales balanced.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,774,220 times
The interview with Zimmerman' dad was insightful, especially the "never foresaw so much hate from the President, NAACP, [etc...]"

Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,144,175 times
If Obama had a son he'd look like Shawn Tyson.

Parents of murdered British students criticise Barack Obama - Telegraph

Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
That is truly horrendous, and I am sorry that it happened to you and your family. Thank you for sharing and allowing all the naysayers to see that the "system" isn't perfect and sometimes pressure from victims/family members/public is what it takes to keep the scales balanced.
Zimmerman's father is also a retired federal judge, and his mother was a clerk for the court.

It surprises me when I come across people so naive as to think good old boys clubs don't exist out there. As I have already said I am so glad a special prosecutor has been put in place. The fact that Zimmerman wasn't charged with any crime at all is a HUGE red flag.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Ron View Post
Yeah, Mr. 9-mm sure looks in rough shape in that vid at the police station.

Start soiling your boxers yet, Georgie?

Feel like it's gettin' a little warm in your cave?

Can't wait to see this paranoid pinhead in an orange jumpsuit...
Ditto!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM

409 posts, read 254,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i got hit in the nose once, and it wasn't even broken and blood was everywhere..it was like someone turned on a faucet full of blood , my whole shirt was red by time i stopped it.
I've seen plenty of fractured noses in boxing and martial arts with no swelling or bleeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies