Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Wasn't it one of our illustrious Democratic leaders that recently said we have 3 branches of the federal government? The house, the senate and the presidency? Obama seems to have followed that line and forgotten all about the SC and the BALANCE of power. He has to remember, he was elected president, not emperor.

Should this law be ruled unconstitutional, what does it say about Obama's knowledge and ability as a professor of Constitutional law?
Says a lot. The guy cant even give one reason why it should be upheld except just because he says so. Not one Constitutional argument.

Barack Obama | Obamacare | Judician Activism | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Says a lot. The guy cant even give one reason why it should be upheld except just because he says so. Not one Constitutional argument.

Barack Obama | Obamacare | Judician Activism | The Daily Caller
The constitutional argument is simple.

Everyone takes place in the healthcare market. Not some, not most, but all, everyone will buy an aspirin, or end up in a hospital sooner or later.

As such, the government has a right to mandate that you buy insurance to be in that market. It falls under the interstate commerce clause.

Now, I'm not at all saying that I agree with that perception. In my opinion, the interstate commerce clause has been used for things that it was never meant to, such as the prohibition of drugs. But the kicker is this, Republican and Democratic over reach on the interstate commerce clause is what allows that argument.

If you buy a car, it can be mandated that the car you buy have certain safety features, like seat belts. Every car that rolls off the line today has seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc. All things mandated that you buy, by the federal government.

Its not a far reach to say that it can be constitutional, under our interpretation as it currently is today.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Wasn't it one of our illustrious Democratic leaders that recently said we have 3 branches of the federal government? The house, the senate and the presidency? Obama seems to have followed that line and forgotten all about the SC and the BALANCE of power. He has to remember, he was elected president, not emperor.

Should this law be ruled unconstitutional, what does it say about Obama's knowledge and ability as a professor of Constitutional law?
One could easily argue the same about those who vote against it.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Of course, I do want all of these uninsured people to get insurance so I don't have to keep footing the bill for their treatment. Yet, I guess in the end the Court will strike down at least the individual mandate. I shall keep on paying for the freeloaders.
Your attempts at sounding 'informed' and 'reasonable' fell apart .. right there!

I'm guessing here .. You are of the mind that if the law is passed .. It will be Obama Money that will be paying the bills!?

Go back and re-write your script.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The constitutional argument is simple.

Everyone takes place in the healthcare market. Not some, not most, but all, everyone will buy an aspirin, or end up in a hospital sooner or later.

As such, the government has a right to mandate that you buy insurance to be in that market. It falls under the interstate commerce clause.

Now, I'm not at all saying that I agree with that perception. In my opinion, the interstate commerce clause has been used for things that it was never meant to, such as the prohibition of drugs. But the kicker is this, Republican and Democratic over reach on the interstate commerce clause is what allows that argument.

If you buy a car, it can be mandated that the car you buy have certain safety features, like seat belts. Every car that rolls off the line today has seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc. All things mandated that you buy, by the federal government.

Its not a far reach to say that it can be constitutional, under our interpretation as it currently is today.
The difference is (and this has been poined out by mulitple justices) in all previous instances, the requirements have been on those who sell. in the case before the court, the mandate requires everyone BUY a product. That has never happened before and it changes the relationship between the government and the citizen (per Justice Kennedy)

Also the argument that everyone is in this market also fails on a certain level. Everyone is involved in the food market. Does this give the government the right to mandate we all buy broccoli? (again that is an exact question from one of the justices.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The difference is (and this has been poined out by mulitple justices) in all previous instances, the requirements have been on those who sell. in the case before the court, the mandate requires everyone BUY a product. That has never happened before and it changes the relationship between the government and the citizen (per Justice Kennedy)

Also the argument that everyone is in this market also fails on a certain level. Everyone is involved in the food market. Does this give the government the right to mandate we all buy broccoli? (again that is an exact question from one of the justices.
But the problem is that everyone is a consumer, and that you have to pay for it.

And yes, the broccoli point is valid, and why I hope that the mandate is overturned. I'm simply stating that there is a constitutional argument to be made. The poster I referenced stated that there were none. This simply isn't true.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Obama is from Chicago, he knows the arm twisting, and the muscle to get what he wants. Obama is the biggest manipulator and the masses just follow whatever he says.

They all must have had that feeling up their leg and that a light came down from somewhere and say I have to vote for Barrack. Obama has watched Reverend Wright for 20 years and he knows how to manipulate minds.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Wow Obama adopting the language of conservatives about judicial activism. I never thought that day would come.

Edit: I personally think a mandate to buy health insurance by the Federal government is Unconstitutional. If Democrats want the mandate, it needs to implemented individually by each state or there needs to be an amendment to the Constitution.
Except ruling on constitutionality of the law is NOT judicial activism. Legislating from the bench is. Do you think Obama doesn't know the difference or he's lying again?

Last edited by Kirdik; 04-03-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Complaining about activist judges (which both sides do) is completely different from saying their branch of the government isn't legit, because they aren't elected. They're separate but EQUAL branches, Mr. Obama. You would be outraged if they disrespected you, but you feel free to disrespect them all the time.

Speaking of unelected, I don't remember voting for Eric Holder, yet he chooses to ignore laws that congress has passed. Different? How?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
There has been much criticism on this thread about constitutional interpretation, which is a function of the Judicial Branch. This is nothing new. Every time the federal courts come out with a decision that is contrary to popular sentiment, there is a great outcry about "liberal judges," "conservative judges," "activist judges" - not to mention a general call to "reform" the courts, or do away with them altogether. Such criticisms are hardly justified. Indeed, it would be difficult to find a more staid group than those that make up the federal judiciary. (One does not get ahead by espousing radical ideas, one way or the other, about the law: witness the failed confirmation of the appointment of Judge Robert Bork to the Supreme Court.)

Given the role of the Supreme Court (and lower federal courts) in the system of checks and balances provided in the Constitution, an independent judiciary is essential, for it acts as a curb against the encroachment of government on individual rights and liberty. Under the constitutional provision for separation of powers, federal judges are not supposed to be subject to political influence in fulfilling the court's role. A federal judge, who serves with life tenure on good behavior, can wield great power; which is why it is important to appoint "qualified" persons and not just political ideologues to the federal bench. That is why federal judges are appointed by the President subject to confirmation by the Senate and not elected.

Our courts are the great levelers, for all men stand equal before the law. But while we are a nation of laws and not men, it is men who administer the laws and mete out justice. Most state judges are elected officials, and others appointed by executive authority; and there are few whose judgments are not influenced by politics, whether it be associated with getting reelected or avoiding impeachment from office. To make federal judges accountable in this way would turn the judiciary into courts of popular appeal, which is not what the framers of the Constitution had in mind.
cc: B. Obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies