Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times

Advertisements

I've often thought that part of the reason for the rise of certain diseases in children had to do with the germ-phobic behavior of parents. This is exacerbated by large companies selling germ wipes and using scare tactics to convince people that their homes have to be absolutely antiseptic. The term for this by the way is the "hygiene hypothesis."

Well take a look at this, there is now evidence (in mice) that shows not only that it happens but shows the mechanism as to how it happens. I'm posting several links with slightly different points of view; one uses the term "parent paranoia." I think some people just plain overdo it, and that this is a huge part of the reason why kids seem to be sicker nowadays than decades ago.
Quote:
Here's a concept that most parents will find a little hard to believe: new research shows that it's possible kids can be too clean.

You read that right.

That's because all of the soap dispensers, hand sanitizers and alcohol-tinged wipes could be robbing our kids from exposure to the germs that help strengthen their immune systems.

According to new research done on mice, increasing exposure to germs helps develop the immune system, thereby preventing allergies and other immune-related diseases like colitis and asthma later in life.

Learn more: Dirty kids are healthy kids - the Hygiene Hypothesis
Dirty kids are healthy kids - the Hygiene Hypothesis

Getting the dirt on immunity: Scientists show evidence for hygiene hypothesis

Brigham And Women's Hospital - Press Releases

Microbial Exposure During Early Life Has Persistent Effects on Natural Killer T Cell Function

This reminds me of when I was living in Germany during reunification and some scientist wanted to do a study to prove that all the pollution in East Germany had been harmful to the population. The result turned out to be the exact opposite.
Quote:
When the two regions were reunified in 1999, von Mutius compared the disease rates. "What we found was exactly the opposite'' of her hypothesis, she recalls. Children in the polluted areas of East Germany had lower allergic reactions and fewer cases of asthma than children in the West. What was going on? As sometimes happens to scientists, von Mutius was forced to abandon her original hypothesis and rethink the question based on her new observations.
Evolution: Library: Hygiene Hypothesis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I've often thought that part of the reason for the rise of certain diseases in children had to do with the germ-phobic behavior of parents. This is exacerbated by large companies selling germ wipes and using scare tactics to convince people that their homes have to be absolutely antiseptic.
I'd agree with that 100%, not only do the kids not build immunity but the bacteria is. I think the issue is compounded by much more energy efficient homes that trap indoor air pollutants and kids spending so much more time indoors.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I happen to agree with this as well. There's nothing wrong with being clean but some overdo it and I think it has very negative effects as time goes on.
I crack up at the touch less hand soap dispensers. Aren't you washing your hands with the antibacterial soap after you pump it onto your hand? Wouldn't that wash away the germs?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I've often thought that part of the reason for the rise of certain diseases in children had to do with the germ-phobic behavior of parents. This is exacerbated by large companies selling germ wipes and using scare tactics to convince people that their homes have to be absolutely antiseptic. The term for this by the way is the "hygiene hypothesis."

Well take a look at this, there is now evidence (in mice) that shows not only that it happens but shows the mechanism as to how it happens. I'm posting several links with slightly different points of view; one uses the term "parent paranoia." I think some people just plain overdo it, and that this is a huge part of the reason why kids seem to be sicker nowadays than decades ago.

Dirty kids are healthy kids - the Hygiene Hypothesis

Getting the dirt on immunity: Scientists show evidence for hygiene hypothesis

Brigham And Women's Hospital - Press Releases

Microbial Exposure During Early Life Has Persistent Effects on Natural Killer T Cell Function

This reminds me of when I was living in Germany during reunification and some scientist wanted to do a study to prove that all the pollution in East Germany had been harmful to the population. The result turned out to be the exact opposite.

Evolution: Library: Hygiene Hypothesis
Good thread. It needs to be discussed for sure.

I've literally been saying this for 20 years or more. It's just common sense to me.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
This has been known (and commented upon) in the medical community for years.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
We make sure our dogs lick our baby once a day for good measure.

Lol...honestly, the only germs I am worried about for him are people germs. Dirt germs and dog germs and just ambient germage is not something I worry too much about.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
This has been known (and commented upon) in the medical community for years.
Yes, and it has also been very much misninterpreted by the popular press and laypeople in general. It doesn't mean pollution is good for you, for ex. (This is the first I've ever heard that!) It doesn't mean you shouldn't wash your hands before eating and especially before preparing food. I've seen enough Hepatitis A to know that!

Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I crack up at the touch less hand soap dispensers. Aren't you washing your hands with the antibacterial soap after you pump it onto your hand? Wouldn't that wash away the germs?
Yea but dispenser with crap all over it looks bad, those things never stay clean.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, and it has also been very much misninterpreted by the popular press and laypeople in general. It doesn't mean pollution is good for you, for ex. (This is the first I've ever heard that!) It doesn't mean you shouldn't wash your hands before eating and especially before preparing food. I've seen enough Hepatitis A to know that!
I never said it meant any of that, did I?

All I did was agree with the OPs contention that overly worried parents and their overuse of hand sanitizer and sterilizing kids is bad.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What disturbs me most are the number of people (men in my case) who walk out of the bathroom without washing their hands. It happens ALL the time. By my guesstimation and random observation, i'd say 3 out of 10 men.

After I wash my hands, I use the paper towel to touch the door handle. If there's no trash can nearby the door, the paper towel goes on the floor. Not my problem. I'm not touching other people's parts. Those are not germs that children should be exposed to. Otherwise, i'm all for letting Little Jimmy get dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies