Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Oh yeah. I'm disfigured by a pock mark scar. I have never heard of anyone when I was a kid and we didn't have the vaccine, die from it.
There are viruses that WERE epidemic and deadly and no longer are in America.
Measles, mumps, and rubella are among them.
No worse than getting a really bad cold in terms of lasting effects.
Sorry, but this germophobia is just too much in this country.
Ok. I will tell the 150 people who died every year and the 11,000 who were hospitalized every year before the vaccine that they were a bunch of wussy wimps.

Get real, dude.

No reason to have the disease.

I have no issue with kids eating dirt, etc. But there are real consequences to these diseases.

I am sure what you haven't heard of could fill the Smithsonian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
For one, chicken pox.
I am in agreement. Chicken pox, mumps, rubella and hepatitis B (hard to get) are on my list of vaccines that are unnecessary.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 04-08-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
I see no reason to get vaccinated against it either. They should be like a flu shot. Those in high risk groups should get it. Just because there is a remote possibility someone CAN get seriously ill or die doesn't mean someone will.
Back on topic. We had a religious family that lived across the street from us growing up. One of the little girls was upset that she got dirty. The Mom said to her "God made dirt and it won't hurt. We can wash it off. " I've always remembered that when my own kids got dirty.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times
Vaccines? We don't need no stinkin' vaccines!

No way would I not get my kid vaccinated. Other people can play Russian Roulette with their child's life if they want to, I certainly wouldn't risk my kid dying.
- USATODAY.com

Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
I had the measels, German measels, chickenpox, mumps when I was a kid. I was even born before the Polio vaccine was discovered but did not "catch" it. I deliberatly let my daughter play with kids who had these diseases back when she was 2-3 years old so her immune system could stave them off in later life. Of course then, I had never heard of anyone dying from these so I did what most mothers back then did, I let my kid get them. NBD was the thinking back then. If I had to do over, I'd do it again.

I've thought all this killing most germs was bad for a long time.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
It's not about vaccines and it's not about washing your hands before you eat.
It's about life and not using anti-bacterial wipes 24/7 and trying to live in a sanitary bubble.

Keeping your kids free from germs during all waking moments will just end up with them getting twice as sick and twice as often when they do catch that odd germ that you couldn't kill with your Clorox wipes or antibacterial soap.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
I have not had any vaccination since I was a child, i.e. decades ago. I am sure those old vaccinations all lost their effect a long time ago, still I am healthy.
Unfortunately I will need a bunch of new vaccinations in the course of my emigration, they are mandatory

Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I had the measels, German measels, chickenpox, mumps when I was a kid. I was even born before the Polio vaccine was discovered but did not "catch" it. I deliberatly let my daughter play with kids who had these diseases back when she was 2-3 years old so her immune system could stave them off in later life. Of course then, I had never heard of anyone dying from these so I did what most mothers back then did, I let my kid get them. NBD was the thinking back then. If I had to do over, I'd do it again.

I've thought all this killing most germs was bad for a long time.
I remember that. The thinking was let the kids all catch them and be over with them before they started school at 6 (first grade). Back then kindergarten was optional and only 1/2 day and there was no such thing as pre-K or pre-pre-K.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not about vaccines and it's not about washing your hands before you eat.
It's about life and not using anti-bacterial wipes 24/7 and trying to live in a sanitary bubble.

Keeping your kids free from germs during all waking moments will just end up with them getting twice as sick and twice as often when they do catch that odd germ that you couldn't kill with your Clorox wipes or antibacterial soap.
I agree. We do need exposure to germs. There's nothing wrong with trying not to get a cold. Let's face it, stuffy noses aren't fun, but trying to remain in sanitary and germ free environments isn't helping in the long run.
I don't remember nearly the amount of allergies growing up that we see now.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
God made dirt. Dirt don't hurt. Then again, I stepped on a nail in a chicken coop once, but I had been vaccinated against tetanus, so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies