Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As Rush Limbaugh would say "poor word choice". You're being rude by belaboring this point about my vocabulary, OK, not grammar.
holy buckets. i never said one peep about your vocabulary, either. you seem to have some kind of inner need to feel like you're being mistreated

Quote:
How effective is this HPV treatment? Where is polio being treated with anti-virals and how effective is it?
if you want to know the answers to those questions, i suggest you look them up. you said there were no such treatments, and i proved there were. if you want to know more, it's not my job to educate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not about vaccines and it's not about washing your hands before you eat.
It's about life and not using anti-bacterial wipes 24/7 and trying to live in a sanitary bubble.

Keeping your kids free from germs during all waking moments will just end up with them getting twice as sick and twice as often when they do catch that odd germ that you couldn't kill with your Clorox wipes or antibacterial soap.
I read an article a while back and it stated, scientists now believe kids who develop allergies sooner or later, were products of over protective parents. Kids need to be exposed to bacteria, virus's and fungi to develop a healthy immune system. Similar to what vaccinations do.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM

back on topic, however briefly..

Quote:
A father’s determination to help his son resulted in an experimental treatment for autism that uses roundworms from pigs to modulate inflammatory immune responses. Can the worms be used to treat other diseases? (http://the-scientist.com/2011/02/01/opening-a-can-of-worms/ - broken link)

Within 10 weeks of the higher-dose treatment, the autistic boy stopped smashing his head against walls. He stopped gouging at his eyes. The paralysis and frustration that held him and his family prisoners in their own home lifted. The freak outs ceased. “It wasn’t gradations,” remembers Stewart, who had always kept meticulous notes on Lawrence’s disorder and the interventions they had attempted. “It just went away. All these behaviors just disappeared.” Elated, Stewart called Lawrence’s doctor, Eric Hollander. “He was stunned, because all of that behavior set was gone,” Stewart says. “He was speechless, as I was.”

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I've brought this up several times on here and people seem to think that vaccines are like taking a vitamin to prevent death. The chicken pox vaccine doesn't work very well and kids who got the vaccine and it didn't work or kids who could not get the vaccine were not exposed, and both of them develop shingles later in life. Shingles is very dangerous. So parents started letting their kids get chickenpox naturally again and the media made a big stink about it. Vaccines are invasive, that's a fact. And I think vaccines, like you said, should only be used when really necessary.

I often wonder if the flu was caused by a bacteria that changed slightly every year, would doctors recommend that everyone in the country take antibiotics for four months for a 60-70 percent chance of not getting the flu? My guess is that they would not, and that people would not want to do this, but we do it with a vaccine because we have been led to the false belief that a vaccination is a simple procedure with no risks or side effects. The flu vaccine was originally developed specifically for people with poor immune systems and was originally not recommended for healthy people.
Shingles is a result of already having the chicken pox early in life, the virus lays dorment for years and comes out when the immune system becomes compromised. If you have never had the CP, then upon exposure to shingles, you will get chicken pox and possabily shingles later in life.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
And don't forget, Mercury.
Mercury was removed years ago.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
holy buckets. i never said one peep about your vocabulary, either. you seem to have some kind of inner need to feel like you're being mistreated

if you want to know the answers to those questions, i suggest you look them up. you said there were no such treatments, and i proved there were. if you want to know more, it's not my job to educate you.
"Proved" it? The polio article was 13 years old! The kid, ONE patient, mind you, didn't have a diagnosed case of polio, she was immunocompromised and had recived oral polio vaccine two days earlier. If said treatment had caught on, I think I'd have heard about it by now.

You didn't even post a link about the HPV treatment.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The folks in my family that don't get shots are healthier than the ones that do. One sis recalls her son getting very ill when a baby and having had his shots. He is a cancer survivor with part of his brain removed because of Grand Mal Seizures.

The shots are pushed in nutty ways. I had a nurse pushing the tetanus shot when I had cut my hand in very oxygenated dishwater! Clue....oxygen DESTROYS tetanus, but how many laypersons even know this?

Tetanus is a bacterium. How can that shot work when our bodies cannot make immunity to it naturally?! Seems we'd have an immunization for UTIs if immunity could really be created, but we gals can get repeat UTI.

Quote:
I am thankful that I had both measles instead of the shot for them. I have lifelong immunity. How many gals of child-bearing age had the MMR shots and no longer have immunity IF they even had it with the shots?
They may or may not have lifetime immunity and there is no gaurantee you have lifetime immunity because you had the measeles naturally!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Proved" it?
correct. proved it. what was it you asked for? lets review:

Quote:
Do you know of any antivirals for polio?

Quote:
The polio article was 13 years old!
and that matters - -how?

Quote:
The kid, ONE patient, mind you, didn't have a diagnosed case of polio, she was immunocompromised and had recived oral polio vaccine two days earlier. If said treatment had caught on, I think I'd have heard about it by now.
'didn't have a diagnosed case of polio,' yet they found it in her CSF by PCR, and later cultured it from her CSF?

Quote:
On day 6 post-vaccination CSF was examined for the presence of PV genome and virus using RT-PCR and viral culture, respectively. Using universal enteroviral primers targeted to the 5′ nontranslated region (5′NTR), a 204 bp fragment was amplified. The amplicon was cloned and sequenced. Sequence comparisons with those of the wild-type and vaccine strains of PV1-3 revealed that the amplified region of 5′NTR shared 99.4% identity with the sequence of PV2S. A single A to G transition, known to be associated with reversion to neurovirulence, was found at nucleotide 481 of PV2S; suggesting that the patient carried a neurovirulent strain. PV2S was subsequently cultured from the CSF.

Quote:
You didn't even post a link about the HPV treatment.
it wouldn't matter if i did. you'd simply whine that it was 3 years old, didn't involve the right number of patients, demand to know how widely it was used, etc., etc., ad nauseum

Potential Use of Antiviral Agents in Polio Eradication

R75761, a lead compound for the development of... [Antiviral Res. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited by uggabugga; 04-09-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
correct. proved it. what was it you asked for? lets review:

and that matters - -how?

'didn't have a diagnosed case of polio,' yet they found it in her CSF by PCR, and later cultured it from her CSF?

t wouldn't matter if i did. you'd simply whine that it was 3 years old, didn't involve the right number of patients, demand to know how widely it was used, etc., etc., ad nauseum

Potential Use of Antiviral Agents in Polio Eradication

R75761, a lead compound for the development of... [Antiviral Res. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
I should just ignore you. However, no, the sample size of one in the 13 year old article did not have a diagnosed case of polio. She was immunocompromised and received an oral polio vaccine (live virus) two days earlier. The treatment was an attempt to clear the virus out of her system before she got polio. She should not have received that vaccine. One of the few.

Well, you're right about a few things. I would want to know how large a sample size (certainly more than one who wasn't even sick!) and some of the other issues you raise.

Your first polio article says in its title "POTENTIAL" use of antiviral agents in polio eradication, and was written in 1988, a mere 24 years ago. That is not the current policy, so it must not have worked.

The other polio article is from 2008, and discusses an antiviral that is a whopping 50% effective.

The current polio eradication strategy is mass immunization.
Achieving polio eradication: a review of health communication evidence and lessons learned in India and Pakistan
CDC Global Health - Polio - Updates on CDC?s Polio Eradication Efforts

Polio Vaccine and Immunization Information
***The IPV vaccine is 90% effective after two doses and 99% effective after three doses. Duration of immunity is unknown at this time, though it is probably quite long.
(Refers to IPV)

Polio Vaccine Questions and Answers

Global Polio Eradication Initiative > Polio and prevention > The vaccines > Oral polio vaccine (OPV)
***One dose of OPV produces immunity to all three poliovirus serotypes in approximately 50% of recipients. Three doses produce immunity in more than 95% of recipients. Immunity is long-lasting and probably life-long.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times

Do these kids looked worried about vaccines!!

Do vaccines have dirt in them............. can't seem to see the connection between the two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies