Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Not having had kids in the public schools for over 20 years, I just wasn't aware of the inroads corporate money and influence has made in our schools and I thought maybe everyone else hadn't heard of it to.

Sadly, it seems that y'all have and don't care. No wonder we're graduating students who can't think critically.
They can't think because you lefties spend most days telling them how to ID a bully, how to put on a rubber or how windmills will save the world. Toss in a little lunch and recess and the day is done. Coming from someone who hasn't been involved in the public schools system for 20 years like YOU say then I say your clueless as to what is going on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Thank goodness somebody is countering the gibberish that passes for Obama administration energy policy.
Glad you like it!

Quote:
More than 30 years ago, The NEED Project began as a one-day celebration of energy education when National Energy Education Day was recognized by a Joint Congressional Resolution. In the same year, President Jimmy Carter issued a Presidential Proclamation stressing the need for comprehensive energy education in our schools, a reduction of our dependence of fossil fuels, and increasing use of renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency.
About NEED | National Energy Education Development Project

Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Last year my fifth graders spent a month in science learning how to build a geothermal home and how evil all their parents are for not having a windmill or mirrors on their roof. I told the school what I thought of that nonsense. If you have a problem with your kids learning about how oil has turned the US into the greatest economic power in the history of the world then take it up with your school and stop crying about it.
Oil has turned Exon, Chevron, BP, etc.... into the greatest economic power in history.

How did oil turn America into the greatest economic power in history? When did we nationalize oil?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Are you really this clueless? Apparently so. Go back to school.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, I don't. Who better to teach about energy than people in the field of energy?

This is the problem I have with 'academicians'. Most have never actually worked in the fields that they teach. I think before you teach a field of study, you need to have some practical experience working in that field. How long do you think it takes new technologies developed in the field to reach the classroom? Maybe years. So kids come out of school with knowledge of their chosen field that is sadly lacking. And they expect to walk right into high paying jobs?

Well...global corporations already have a total lock on our economy, pretty much run the federal government, and most state governments too, they do about half the work in our armed forces, including some actual combat, control nearly all the major news media, enforce our trade agreements and are hard at work standardizing rules and regulations in the US, Mexico and Canada. Might as well give 'em our kids too, right? After all, if they're to succeed in the New World Order, they'll need to be trained early on to accept their place as worker bees and drones to service the Elites.

What's next? The 1st United Church of Exxon? Why not? It's about the last part of this country they DON'T control!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM

744 posts, read 812,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, it shouldn't. You want us to be like Venezuela? No, no, and no!

Our country works just fine as it has for it's entire history, and we have a higher standard of living (at least up until Obama), than any country in the World has ever enjoyed.

Proof, we do not need "fundamental transformation."

Defeat OBAMA in 2012!
No I'd prefer to be like Norway where oil is nationalized and the profits benefit the Norwegian people rather than a select few. You honestly believe the problems in Venezuela are a result of oil being nationalized?? The economic problems in Venezuela are the result of gross economic mismanagement by Chavez and his war on the wealthy and educated.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Have you heard about this?

Several big energy companies, including BP, Conoco, PG&E and TXU are providing energy curriculum's to public schools, beginning as early as the primary grades.
My recollection is that manufactures and industry groups have provided "educational materials" to schools for decades. Not just "big energy companies." It's not always a bad thing. If balanced. The problem is the extreme element in local schools, the parents or right-wing organizations, often attack what some teachers use to "balance" what materials they're provided free of charge. Also, don't forget ... Microsoft provides tens of thousands of free computers and/or software to schools. That's not just done out of the goodness of their hearts. It's done for marketing purposes. Get the kids, of all ages, hooked on their products and it means future profits and loyalty. Apple does similar. IBM did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies