Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I think they would be better off charging him with manslaughter.
The only problem with that is that he got out of his car and was stalking the kid. His job was to watch and report which he did but didn't want to wait so he took matters into his own hands.

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
In most states, first-degree murder is defined as an unlawful killing that is both willful and premeditated, meaning that it was committed after planning or "lying in wait" for the victim.

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as (1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or (2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.

When using self defense, a victim should only be allowed to match whatever force is being used against them. So, if someone attacks me, using their bare hands, I should only be allowed to defend myself using my bare hands. If I'm being attacked with a knife, I can use a knife. But, if someone attacks me using their bare hands, I shouldn't be permitted to use a deadly weapon against them - even the police aren't allowed to do that.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this case. That includes the victim, the suspect, as well as both families. I'm sure, if we could roll back the hands of time, both parties would've acted differently. No one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. I think it's a crying shame these two families have to go through this. I can't speak for others, but I am deeply saddened.
Good post.... I agree, GZ is not the monster he is made out to be and I'm sure he is remorseful. I really don't see the guy as some hard core racist, maybe a bit more than the average guy on the street. His problem was more the general "i need a gun to compensate for my insecurities" type.

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times
What I find amazing (or perhaps telling) is that GZ's wife has not been in the media..unless I missed it because I don't watch Fox...his brother was on Piers Morgan and other networks, I saw his dad on a network, but he was in shadow... GZ's loony tune neighbor "friend" Frank Taaffe has been all over the place and has become the self appointed spokesperson for him...Perhaps his attorney should put a stop to that because he has been making a lot of statements about that night "on GZ's behalf"

EVERYONE is just talking TOO much IMHO...

I'm telling you there is something in the water here in Florida

Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
You seem to forget about GZ record. Some of course with violence.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Good post.... I agree, GZ is not the monster he is made out to be and I'm sure he is remorseful. I really don't see the guy as some hard core racist, maybe a bit more than the average guy on the street. His problem was more the general "i need a gun to compensate for my insecurities" type.
I have met more than a few guys like GZ. He is part of the subsection of gun nuts that actually look forward to the day they have an excuse to shoot someone. He thought that killing a black kid would be the perfect way to live out his tough guy action hero fantasy. Like a murderous Walter Mitty.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I have met more than a few guys like GZ. He is part of the subsection of gun nuts that actually look forward to the day they have an excuse to shoot someone. He thought that killing a black kid would be the perfect way to live out his tough guy action hero fantasy. Like a murderous Walter Mitty.

Dont you mean Walter Matheau

Old 04-12-2012, 05:47 PM

381 posts, read 507,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
A store security guard would have a legimitate purpose if they witness a crime being committed. The same goes for the police. But it's interesting to see that you believe it's legitimate to follow people for no particular reason.
zimmerman had a legitimate reason to follow. but then again, it is no longer trial by public opinion. it's a battle between lawyers. we are now just an audience.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
The judge decided to move forward with the case. The prosecution says that TM was scared and that GZ confronted him. Being in fear of his life was reason enough for TM to use force to defend himself. The GZ supporters keep saying there is nothing wrong with following people. The law basically says that if a person believes that he/she believes that his life is in danger, he/she can use deadly force to defend it. Why wouldn't TM think his life was in danger, when he was followed by a strange man in a car and then on foot? I certainly would.

By the way, would those of you who keep saying that nothing is wrong with following people want some old man following your 8 year old daughter around?
Standard bond hearing the real test will come with the SYG judge. So far the prosecution is coming up with cute PC reasons but nothing Zimmerman leading up to the altercation is illegal.

We'll see how it plays out.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM

381 posts, read 507,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
you must know alot of military service men...

Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddin View Post
Wow, after reading that, it's so 1 sided............TM's girlfriend? TM"S mother claiming her son was crying for help?
How did they come up with the statement""GZ disregarded the dispatcher & cont. to follow Martin who was trying to return to his home".

There were so many statements from witnesses and GZ. I heard he did follow directions and was going to wait for officier. I saw a witness say that he saw 2 men fighting and the guy with the red shirt was on the ground getting beat up. Wasn't GZ wearing the red shirt?

I know there is alot more to this than any of us know, but don't be so close minded to think that the 12 yrs. old boy you see in the media is a fact. Why do they keep showing this lil' kid? If we are all looking for the truth, let's start from the beginning.
why aren't they showing him as he is as a 17 yr. old 6 ft. 2 man?
I have to read the document but what I'm hearing is a lot of fluff. The prosecution's case appears weak but we'll learn more during discovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies