Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM

57 posts, read 172,719 times

Advertisements

What you dont know. Parts of sanford are not that great especially where this area is. so what if he used a racial slur. If you are around enough black people that commit crimes way to much it turns your thoughts on them and you call them as you see it. It happened to me and im not a racist. I will use certain terms to defince the "charachters" of certain people. This kid "appeared' to be up to no good in a neighboorhood that has had repeated robberies and theft. The neighborhood watch commander, aka zimmerman observed suspicious activity. His only flaw was leaving his vehicle. Once the scuffle occured he was with in legal ground to shoot the kid. So for lebron james to wear a hoody on this in support is completely obsurd. I dont think he knew the facts of the case or the neighborhood involved. had he known, he should have thought differently because he grew up in those surroundings and know what types of crimes people in those neighboorhoods commit. I cannot support the shooting because i dont know exact details, however i do not condone it either way. Zimmerman could have gone about it differently. Its a cruel world. we all die sometime. some sooner than later. Its the actions we choose that define us. I was held up at gun point by a ****** in a bad part of Orlando. I had a razor knife in my hand and choose non defense as opposed to someone getting hurt or killed. This stupid ****** that robbed me is now doing 20 years in jail for that. Good ridance. he was a bad apple who couldnt be helped. His own grandmother even apologized to me. and i use the word ****** because thats how he acted, and not like a civilized person who just happened to have dark colored skin. so if zimmerman used a racial slur, im all for it.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddin View Post
Wow, after reading that, it's so 1 sided............TM's girlfriend? TM"S mother claiming her son was crying for help?
How did they come up with the statement""GZ disregarded the dispatcher & cont. to follow Martin who was trying to return to his home".

There were so many statements from witnesses and GZ. I heard he did follow directions and was going to wait for officier. I saw a witness say that he saw 2 men fighting and the guy with the red shirt was on the ground getting beat up. Wasn't GZ wearing the red shirt?

I know there is alot more to this than any of us know, but don't be so close minded to think that the 12 yrs. old boy you see in the media is a fact. Why do they keep showing this lil' kid? If we are all looking for the truth, let's start from the beginning.
why aren't they showing him as he is as a 17 yr. old 6 ft. 2 man?
Prosecutors are law enforcement. They work for the victim, not the criminal. Of course it's one sided.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 PM

381 posts, read 507,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I have faith justice will prevail, and for now the streets are safer without this lune being armed.
a trial court isn't about justice. it's about winning, losing or plea bargaining. since learning how the court system worked, i've gotten out of 3 speeding tickets which i was guilty of. even a friend of mine managed to sue the state after crashing his motorcycle while street racing. i was a witness to his case, he won a cash settlement including dropped charges.

let's see how good zimmerman's lawyers are.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,198,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
a trial court isn't about justice. it's about winning, losing or plea bargaining. since learning how the court system worked, i've gotten out of 3 speeding tickets which i was guilty of. even a friend of mine managed to sue the state after crashing his motorcycle while street racing. i was a witness to his case, he won a cash settlement including dropped charges.

let's see how good zimmerman's lawyers are.
Sadly, I have to agree with your post...

Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM

57 posts, read 172,719 times
Ive got a great idea, lets debate this till the end of time because no matter what any of us think, its not our call. there are legal rights involved that we don't make decisions in. so we can either hate or agree with a guy for so called self defense. do you wait for the person you are fighting to pull all his tricks out of the bag or do you beat him to it? for all you know, GZ could have interepreted tm phone call as him casing the neighboorhood to a buddy that lived in sanford trying to get him to help him do a crime, not knowing if he had a weaponn or not. He beat the kid to the punch with a bullet. cruel world. let this thread die.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM

180 posts, read 202,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Stalking Resource Center -- National Center for Victims of Crime - Criminal Stalking Laws by State/Florida (http://www.ncvc.org/src/main.aspx?dbID=DB_Florida108 - broken link)

Fla. Stat. § 784.048. Stalking; definitions; penalties. (2008) (1) As used in this section, the term:
(a) "Harass" means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.
(b) "Course of conduct" means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of "course of conduct." Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.

First he stalked him while driving slowly, then he stalked him by foot. These two separate actions could be considered a series of acts.
I think you'd have a nearly impossible time convincing a jury that following someone to see if they were committing a crime was stalking. If so, every store security guard and most police could be charged.
I'm surprised how many people are willing to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts. If this is your idea of justice, why do we need a trial at all? Why not just have a bunch of extremists for and against someone being convicted make a plea on t.v. and then have people vote to convict or acquit based on that? Seriously, wait until you know the facts before you pass judgment on anyone.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,739,342 times
In most states, first-degree murder is defined as an unlawful killing that is both willful and premeditated, meaning that it was committed after planning or "lying in wait" for the victim.

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as (1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or (2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.

When using self defense, a victim should only be allowed to match whatever force is being used against them. So, if someone attacks me, using their bare hands, I should only be allowed to defend myself using my bare hands. If I'm being attacked with a knife, I can use a knife. But, if someone attacks me using their bare hands, I shouldn't be permitted to use a deadly weapon against them - even the police aren't allowed to do that.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this case. That includes the victim, the suspect, as well as both families. I'm sure, if we could roll back the hands of time, both parties would've acted differently. No one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. I think it's a crying shame these two families have to go through this. I can't speak for others, but I am deeply saddened.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:07 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,198,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
In most states, first-degree murder is defined as an unlawful killing that is both willful and premeditated, meaning that it was committed after planning or "lying in wait" for the victim.

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as (1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or (2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.

When using self defense, a victim should only be allowed to match whatever force is being used against them. So, if someone attacks me, using their bare hands, I should only be allowed to defend myself using my bare hands. If I'm being attacked with a knife, I can use a knife. But, if someone attacks me using their bare hands, I shouldn't be permitted to use a deadly weapon against them - even the police aren't allowed to do that.

The law in Florida allows whatever force necessary to protect oneself from an attack where a person is in fear for his|her life, regardless of the attackers weapon of choice...

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this case. That includes the victim, the suspect, as well as both families. I'm sure, if we could roll back the hands of time, both parties would've acted differently. No one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. I think it's a crying shame these two families have to go through this. I can't speak for others, but I am deeply saddened.
Great post!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
You must not have seen the pictures I saw.
I saw the videotape. Same as everyone else, except I did not create images of bruising to create an alibi, that were not present.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,426,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis View Post
I think you'd have a nearly impossible time convincing a jury that following someone to see if they were committing a crime was stalking. If so, every store security guard and most police could be charged.
I'm surprised how many people are willing to jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts. If this is your idea of justice, why do we need a trial at all? Why not just have a bunch of extremists for and against someone being convicted make a plea on t.v. and then have people vote to convict or acquit based on that? Seriously, wait until you know the facts before you pass judgment on anyone.
A store security guard would have a legimitate purpose if they witness a crime being committed. The same goes for the police. But it's interesting to see that you believe it's legitimate to follow people for no particular reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies