Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 02:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,878,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Trayvon was bigger than Zimmerman......
Who had the gun?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,375,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Makes a big difference. Itshows Trayvon wasn't the brutal thug some are trying to paint him as. You take a bottle or can as big as that and slap someone upside the head and they will go down. Some keep saying that Trayvon snuck up on Zimmy and waylaid him. Were i the one i would have used the can/bottle as a weapon. Zimmy's father says Zimmy said that Trayvon beat him for at least a minute. Trayvons cell call ended at 2/3:16 am(i don't remember whether it was 2 am or 3 am). And was it and a minute later the cops were there. Timeline problem here as well.
What? It was 7:16 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's not the issue!!!!! Trayvon is dead why is this hard for you to grasp?

I agree if Trayvon was alive and charged with assault he could use the SYG defense.
The moral of this would be: kill dead someone you are attacking so that the SYG law will not apply to any effort the deceased made to protect himself.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,923,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who had the gun?
up until the point he was shot....did Trayvon know???

You're only scared when you know for certain the man has a gun......

Unless Zimmerman was following him with his gun in plain view....then your point is valid.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:53 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,375,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The moral of this would be: kill dead someone you are attacking so that the SYG law will not apply to any effort the deceased made to protect himself.
Yes, it's possible that in this case the SYG law was abused, or does not even apply. But what about when people actually are attacked and have a legitimate fear for their life, should they be allowed to defend themselves with having to worry about going to prison or being sued, or should they just die?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM

381 posts, read 507,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Had he split, the cops would have ended up shooting GZ to kill upon apprehending him. With vehicles like America's Most Wanted which would no doubt have been used if he fled, it would simply mean his life ended in a flash. Now I do not object to saving 20-30 years of his room and board, mind you, but fleeing would have been the same as suicide for GZ.
a guilty man would flee. an innocent man would stand trial to prove himself. let's hope he can afford excellent lawyers.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
so if I tried to rob you at gunpoint and you fight back (under SYG) to the point that you're now in a dominant position, I'm within my rights to shoot you, under syg?
This is why the SYG law needs to be repealed. Another Bush blunder!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 PM

381 posts, read 507,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Yes, it's possible that in this case the SYG law was abused, or does not even apply. But what about when people actually are attacked and have a legitimate fear for their life, should they be allowed to defend themselves with having to worry about going to prison or being sued, or should they just die?
SYG is an extension of the castle doctrine. basic self defense laws applies.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,954,523 times
The judge decided to move forward with the case. The prosecution says that TM was scared and that GZ confronted him. Being in fear of his life was reason enough for TM to use force to defend himself. The GZ supporters keep saying there is nothing wrong with following people. The law basically says that if a person believes that he/she believes that his life is in danger, he/she can use deadly force to defend it. Why wouldn't TM think his life was in danger, when he was followed by a strange man in a car and then on foot? I certainly would.

By the way, would those of you who keep saying that nothing is wrong with following people want some old man following your 8 year old daughter around?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,006,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
a guilty man would flee. an innocent man would stand trial to prove himself. let's hope he can afford excellent lawyers.
I have faith justice will prevail, and for now the streets are safer without this lune being armed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies