Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

[quote=DentalFloss;23922675]Who is that?[/qu

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
If you are gay, doesn't it follow that you can't be afraid of gays?

Like Luckygem said, hypocrites yes, homophobe, no.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If you are gay, doesn't it follow that you can't be afraid of gays?

Like Luckygem said, hypocrites yes, homophobe, no.
People are afraid of or hate parts of themselves all the time.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
People are afraid of or hate parts of themselves all the time.
Especially when they've been brainwashed all their lives into believing that that part of themselves is evil.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
First things first, it's irrational and quite frankly, a waste of time, to even GIVE THOUGHT to the "actions of the homosexual community". Because the actions of gay people are pretty much the same actions straight people engage in. Because gay people are NOT going out of their way to judge straights negatively. Because gay people DO NOT care about the heterosexuality of straights. So, why would straight people care about someones' sexual orientation to the point they would disapprove of something they haven't been asked to participate in? Something that has ZERO affect on you unless you allow it? It's not a questionnaire. No-one asked you to approve nor disapprove of anything, plus gay isn't an action. It's a sexual orientation. It's not a debatable subject. It's a fact of life.

So therefore, since being anti-gay at all is irrational, and irrationality is a FEAR-BASED trait, yes, homophobia ultimately comes down to fear. Extreme revulsion is very often based on fear. In this case, this disgust is based on extreme sensitive, anxiety and paranoia, as well as hostility (the me vs them dynamic). None of it is rational. Homophobia is irrational, being disgusted by homosexuality is illogical, and is irrational. So, see, the thing is, you can be "not opposed" to marriage equality and still be anti-gay. You've done a great job proving it.
Allright then, let's put it another way, less semantic.

Let's consider the property of being gay.

Henry is gay. Okay, so what? What does that mean?

Well, it means that Henry is sexually attracted to the same sex.

Okay, so what?

Well, the culmination of a sexual attraction is celebrated by the activity of sexual intercourse. Sexual intercourse is an action.

Now then. The particular action, when considered, is naturally repulsive to me. I don't care that Henry is gay. I think that Henry ought to have the same rights as me. But, that particular action is repulsive to me. I am not afraid of it. I don't care whether it is engaged in by heterosexuals, or homosexuals. That part of the body is an exit, not an entrance to me, contains all manner of unsavory elements, and was not intended for the use. I have no fear of the action, just repulsion. I do not consider it often, just when the issue is non stop thrown in my face, as it is on these boards, in the news, and in the media in general.

All in all, I am probably more of an ally than you think, and probably more representative of the general population's feelings than you think. I support your right to do whatever you want, grant the idea that it is consentual and up to you, and support equality in government for your right to marriage and benefit. It's just that I am also being completely honest.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Didn't somebody do a song about this?

Probably Gay, the Homophobia Song - Katie Goodman's Broad Comedy - YouTube

Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Allright then, let's put it another way, less semantic.

Let's consider the property of being gay.

Henry is gay. Okay, so what? What does that mean?

Well, it means that Henry is sexually attracted to the same sex.

Okay, so what?

Well, the culmination of a sexual attraction is celebrated by the activity of sexual intercourse. Sexual intercourse is an action.

Now then. The particular action, when considered, is naturally repulsive to me. I don't care that Henry is gay. I think that Henry ought to have the same rights as me. But, that particular action is repulsive to me. I am not afraid of it. I don't care whether it is engaged in by heterosexuals, or homosexuals. That part of the body is an exit, not an entrance to me, contains all manner of unsavory elements, and was not intended for the use. I have no fear of the action, just repulsion. I do not consider it often, just when the issue is non stop thrown in my face, as it is on these boards, in the news, and in the media in general.

All in all, I am probably more of an ally than you think, and probably more representative of the general population's feelings than you think. I support your right to do whatever you want, grant the idea that it is consentual and up to you, and support equality in government for your right to marriage and benefit. It's just that I am also being completely honest.
Anal sex is being thrown in your face non-stop?

Talking about homosexuality ≠ anal sex being thrown in your face. For starters, not all gay men have anal sex, not to mention roughly half all all homosexuals - lesbians - rarely, if ever, have anal sex. Furthermore, I guarantee today that more heterosexual women will be anally penetrated than all men - either gay or straight. Why certain people jump straight to anal sex when talking about homosexuality really confuses me.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Anal sex is being thrown in your face non-stop?
Jesus Christ.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ what? Probably had anal sex?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Jesus Christ what? Probably had anal sex?
You are a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies