Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times

Advertisements

I'm not stupid. From what I know I was using this definition of assimilation

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/assimilate

And whether you want to admit it or I was the past has everythig to do with the way that things go now. For example had quota acts not gone into place in the 1900's Hispanic would not be so far off in number compared to white people.

And I wasn't blaming anyone's ancestors. I was just saying it wasn't a problem then. Calm down.

There is no need for your snarky remarks as I was just giving my opinion thank you very much.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I'm not stupid. From what I know I was using this definition of assimilation

http://m.dictionary.com/definition/assimilate

And whether you want to admit it or I was the past has everythig to do with the way that things go now. For example had quota acts not gone into place in the 1900's Hispanic would not be so far off in number compared to white people.

And I wasn't blaming anyone's ancestors. I was just saying it wasn't a problem then. Calm down.

There is no need for your snarky remarks as I was just giving my opinion thank you very much.
These were your exact words below. Why are you asking those of us alive today these question? "White culture"? No, it was American culture. Or you might say based on European culture collectively. Why mention race?

"And if you REALLY want to talk about assimilation why didn't the Europeans have to "assimilate" to the Native American way of living... they did because it was convenient for them but as soon as they got on their feet they thought it was ok to force the native Americans to assimilate into a white culture?????"

Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM

919 posts, read 1,691,034 times
Fine, understandable, I apologize for not being politically correct but all I was trying to get acroas is that things evolve. People should not need to assimilate ( assuming we are talking about the definition i posted) because America is supposed to be accepting of all.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Well, I am Brazilian-American and although we could be considered "Latino", I have always felt more American than anything and never tried to label myself as an "exception" to the majority or a "different race" like a lot of Hispanics do.

Most Brazilians that I have met here, end up marrying Americans and their kids end up being more White than "Latino". I have a friend who just moved here from Brazil, had a child with an American woman and he gave his kid an American name, Spencer and he wants to raise his kid as an American not a "Latino" or hyphenated American.

I have met Mexican Americans who are third generation American born and still name their kids "Armando, Jose, Jesus", I really don't get it. In addition, they never venture out of their little "ethnic" ghettos or try to establish relationships with Caucasians. I think it has a lot to do with ignorance, lack of education and being at the low level of the socioeconomic spectrum.

I find very little in common with most "Hispanic Americans" anyways and I still don't understand their mindset. I know a girl who is Mexican American, her son is American born and she posts pictures of him on Facebook wearing a Mexico national soccer team jersey, what the hell? If it was my kid, he would be wearing the US national team soccer jersey, not Brazil or Mexico.
Geez! You must be a "aristrocrat" white Brazilian who hates your heritage! Let's name the Brazialian cities! "Belo Horizante, Rio De Janiero, Sao Paulo" all "ethnic names!
Peopel talk about "racism" in the US? Go spend a few weeks in Brazil! The racial divide in that country can't even compare to the US!
I won't even start on your "favelas"!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Fine, understandable, I apologize for not being politically correct but all I was trying to get acroas is that things evolve. People should not need to assimilate ( assuming we are talking about the definition i posted) because America is supposed to be accepting of all.
"Not assimilating" is just a rationalization and excuse for not accepting Hispanics as Americans, even when they are full legal citizens.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
That's your opinion. Assimilation makes for a cohesive society. What does expecting assimilation have to do with not accepting someone? Isn't it the other way around? They aren't accepting of us? Yet they chose to move here? There is nothing natural about evolving via illegal immigration. Is is unacceptable. Does one's native culture and language have to be in our faces? They can't practice it at home?

Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
I lived in NYC for 40 years. Other than people from Mexico, Guatamala, Hondouras, EVERY other immigrant from around the world from every other country entering and living in NYC assimilated and learned to speak English and melded into the American way of life. It seems that people from Mexico and a few Central American countries can't or refuse to learn English and assimilate.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Geez! You must be a "aristrocrat" white Brazilian who hates your heritage! Let's name the Brazialian cities! "Belo Horizante, Rio De Janiero, Sao Paulo" all "ethnic names!
Peopel talk about "racism" in the US? Go spend a few weeks in Brazil! The racial divide in that country can't even compare to the US!
I won't even start on your "favelas"!
Where did he say he hates his heritage? He was either born here or lives here so why act Brazilian rather than American? I don't get this notion that if immigrants don't emulate their native or ancestors country here they are a traitor to their ethnic group.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:30 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Where did he say he hates his heritage? He was either born here or lives here so why act Brazilian rather than American? I don't get this notion that if immigrants don't emulate their native or ancestors country here they are a traitor to their ethnic group.
Exactly! I don't get it either. I have met a lot of third generation Hispanics who still don't feel American or part of this society, what the hell!! I came to the USA when I was 11 and I immediately felt connected to this society and most definitely, wanted to be part of it.

If you have been here for three generations and you don't feel part of it, then obviously, something is wrong.

I really don't understand why some of these Hispanics need everything to be "Latino". Latina magazine, Latino grocery store, Latino night club, Latino neighborhood, Latino TV, Latino Awards, I mean, if you like this Latino crap so much, go live in a Latino country for a year and I am sure you will start to appreciate how good this country is

Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
press 2 for spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies