Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,325,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's about the culture.

You're the racist not I. You can't see beyond race. Why is Barbados so much more successful then Haiti or the Dominican Republic? Barbados is third in standard of living and literacy of it's people.

Why would you want to give up the culture that made the USA, Canada, Barbados and other countries successful and replace it with one that has failed in so many places?

I know immigrants from Barbados -- they came in already educated, legally, not one is living on welfare handouts, they speak English, they assimilate into the culture of the USA easily, they succeed in the work place and you don't hear them trying to be victims.
I see you totally ignored my posts where I clearly stated I didn't want to replace U.S culture with Hispanic culture.

I want to IMPROVE U.S. so that social economic dominance is NOT BASED ON RACE. You seem to have an extremely difficult time understanding that concept.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Jazzy..go buy a deserted island and play your game of "Brave New World" there.
Then you can interview prospective residents and only allow those that meet your criteria for Utopia.
Why so you can keep "Your own Private Idaho"?

That not going to happen.

Society as you know it is going to go through some radical changes in the coming decades.

Buckle Up It's Going To Be A Bumpy Ride.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Why do racist rednecks think that Hispanic is synonymous with illegal immigrant?

Not every Hispanic is an illegal immigrant.
If you thinking is based on fear, hatred, bigotry and ignorance. That's what you get.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No. The 90% of black will vote for liberal democrats and virtually all the illegals and their offspring will vote exactly like they voted in Mexico which is for liberal democrats only in Mexico they call them priistas.

That's what they did to their own country -- voted as a bloc and there is nothing pivotal in any elections. They are also a one-party people.
I guess we can expect Texas to go blue in by about 2020 or 2024.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,405,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How much assimilation can a hispanic/visible minority expect to achieve when many Americans immediately view a Hispanic/visible minority as an illegal alien,some one of suspect character, proverbially one of "them","the others","those people" so to speak, some one who's mere presence brings forth the question does he have a green card?
I wouldnt wonder why they dont assimilate i'd more wonder why they'd want to..
I don't automatically assume every Hispanic is an illegal immigrant. In fact, since I'm from Texas, I grew up with them and missed their presence when I lived in Europe. You can tell the difference between Hispanics whose families have been here longer than my own, the first and second generations (whose parents and grandparents immigrated here), and the new arrivals. It's hard to explain, but you just...know...with a high degree of certainty. Especially if they don't speak a word of English. Am I right that every person I suspect is illegal is actually illegal? No. But I'd bet my paycheck that I'm right most of the time. Like 7-8 times out of 10.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,877,548 times
Funny that the focus is on Hispanics in this thread yet some Hispanics who arrived in the 1960s have actually assimilated and still retain the U.S. culture/values common to the Great Generation. Moreso than the white/black adults/young adults/children of today who have morphed into a culture which bears little bearing to what we perceived as admirable aspects of U.S. culture.

Why did the aforementioned assimilate? Because they came from professional conservative backgrounds with strong work ethics and from countries that valued and admired the United States. It was not seen as just a place to work but a place to livve and emulate. They also had values similar to those in place in the United States at the time of entry.

What exactly is U.S. culture now? I doubt we would agree and would depend if we were right or left.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:09 PM

25,898 posts, read 16,621,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
For Mexicans who are Castillians, sure, they could assimilate in two generations. For mestizo or Indian Mexicans, they will never truly assimilate due to the racial differences. Society is a racial construct, and a culture is based, in part, on the differences in race, including the perceived differences. People react differently toward those who look like them as opposed to those who look differently from them. Sure, for a small minority, they may be truly race-blind, but for the majority, it is hard-wired. There can be no true cohesive culture or country with a squabbling band of various races. It can't happen. It's why history has shown us that such unnatural settings are rife with strife, chaos, and ultimately fracture.

Germans are white. Irish are white. Most Italians are white (some southern Italians, including Sicilians, are mixed from previous invasions). These people can assimilate in a few generations. Mestizos and Indians (feather) from south of the border can't assimilate. They see themselves as different, and the dominant population (whites) sees them as different. Assimilation is often misinterpreted to mean acculturation. Assimilation does not mean picking up cultural traits. It means blending in and being seen as one of the whole, to be unseen as different, relatively speaking, from the norm. This is why the melting pot analogy worked with Europeans. They were of the same race, and once a generation or two had passed, in which the foreign accent was gone, and many of the hard-core cultural traits were diluted, they were pretty much undetectable to the average person. This will never happen with members of other races. The perceived difference, amongst the whites and non-whites, leads individuals to become more aware of their past and who they are, even to engage in cultural practices more closely related to those of their race. Think about how Mexicans have failed to assimilate, even after being here for three generations. This is why. They become emboldened in the views of their differences.

Let's break this down, shall we. Being in the Twin Cities, your invasion is a very recent phenomena. First, let's be clear, the first invaders are always the nicest, less criminal prone invaders, as most are coming to work, and they don't want to rock the boat, lest they be noticed and/or deported. Secondly, early in the invasion process, before a significant flux of invaders has relocated itself to a locale, the invaders have less opportunity to congregate and advocate for their group. They realize that they are severely outnumbered, and that they can't tip the demographic components of an area.

However, this all begins to change as the numbers grow. You start getting the dregs of the invader community. With greater numbers, they start developing more of a group-think or group consciousness. They start thinking about or talking about taking over an area. They become emboldened even more to resist acculturation, and so displays of their homelands flags begin to be seen, in front of houses, hanging from rear view mirrors, emblazened as stickers on their trucks, on their clothing, you name it. They also begin to march for "illegal alien rights". All of this has been seen in areas where the numbers are above a trickle, and in most places of the U.S., it has gone above a trickle. Being in the Twin Cities, however, with the colder weather, you're a bit isolated from much of it.

Make no mistake, they aren't hard workers. If you made a fraction of a dollar in Mexico, on pesos, and then came to the United States, making ten times more than you did in Mexico, only to send it back to Mexico, would you view yourself as a hard worker? No. It's all about the economic incentive. Due to the vastly different economic realities between the United States and Mexico, these invaders have seen it a reality to take advantage of. They're not suffering, their smiling, all the way to the "bank" (though, most don't have bank accounts). Okay, they're smiling, all the way to the "checks cashed" place. Wait a minute, that may not even be correct, since many are paid under the table. It should be, they're smiling, all the way to the post office (to mail the cash back home to their families in Mexico).

The Hmong are embracing American culture? Haven't you seen Grand Torino? The Somalis are just like most non-European immigrants, it's just they're more crime prone, and you see the realities, since many have settled in St. Paul or vicinity. Again, if you're around a significant number, you know the score, but since you don't see as many 'hispanics' in the Twin Cities as most people see in other cities, you don't know the score. Your talk of "nice" and "hard workers" reminds me of Georgians in the mid 90s, when the number of Mexicans was about what you're dealing with now. The same was said of Mexicans in California during the 70s.

If trends continue, and I imagine they will, given the number of traitors in the government and business, you'll eat your words.
I really don't understand your point. Do you think because they are not white they are going to just start breaking the law even though I just told you that they fit in great here. The crime rate among the Hmong and Hispanics in the Twin Cities is lower than any group, including Caucasian.

The Hmongs are transforming St Paul. University Ave was a dump 20 years ago with half the of businesses boarded up and run down. The Hmong are revitalizing the entire area. They work 16 hours a day. They take care of their children and their elderly stay in their children's homes, just like white people used to do 100 years ago. Their children are raising the bar at all the St Paul Public Schools. The top 10% of most public schools in St Paul now are almost all Hmong kids because their parents stress education.

Yes, the African Americans are still struggling and especially the Somali immigrants who mostly settled in Minneapolis. Flash Mobs, drugs, rapes. Bad news from those people.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,953,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Funny that the focus is on Hispanics in this thread yet some Hispanics who arrived in the 1960s have actually assimilated and still retain the U.S. culture/values common to the Great Generation. Moreso than the white/black adults/young adults/children of today who have morphed into a culture which bears little bearing to what we perceived as admirable aspects of U.S. culture.

Why did the aforementioned assimilate? Because they came from professional conservative backgrounds with strong work ethics and from countries that valued and admired the United States. It was not seen as just a place to work but a place to livve and emulate. They also had values similar to those in place in the United States at the time of entry.

What exactly is U.S. culture now? I doubt we would agree and would depend if we were right or left.
I catch your drift. I've know a few Hispanics from way down in LatAm who did as you said, they came here 50 years ago legally. I believe Jaime Esco something or another, the teacher was that way, Bolivia maybe?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM

17,523 posts, read 24,760,454 times
Romneys father was born in Mexico to wife #5 who he married in Mexico, having fled the uS with the firt four wives. Does that make Romney hispanic? Would it if his name was Lopez?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZEJ4OJTgg8

Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The whole issue is a red herring based on fear, ignorance and an appalling amount of bigotry.

With each successive generation higher percentages of Hispanics speak English.

The whole issue is based on fear. Much like the same fear people had when there mass influxes of immigrants during the early 20th century. Unfortunately this country has an ugly history in terms of how it treats its immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies