Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Fine, if the Photo ID is a requirement than make it free for people with a demonstrated financial need.

If you do not do that you are re-instituting a poll tax.
The idea that anything is "free" is a myth, we should incorporate the cost associated with an ID into the billions of dollars we waste ever year on useless crap and issue everyone an ID regardless of "need" then it's fair to everyone and nobody can claim it discriminates against them... it won't stop people from bitching about it but at least we'll all know for sure they're full of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
The federal government already issues every single American a basic SS# card with your name and SS# on it. Why can't we just have that card contain our photo?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
So lets see..I need a photo ID to cash a check, go thru TSA, buy a car, buy alcohol...the list goes on...but NO, I do NOT need one to vote? Oh, come ON!! This is idiocy. How many vote often because there is no requirement to prove who you are? I say "card 'em".

I have expired photo ID and have never had a problem using it for cashing a check, going thru TSA, etc.

Will it work for me at the polls?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Why not issue a national ID card to all US citizens? Every US citizen from Maine to Puerto Rico and Virginia to Guam would receive this card as proof of citizenship and would satisfy the voter ID laws and the TSA ID requirement. We could also use it as a passport for nations that allow the 'passport card' (ie: Canada, and some British Overseas Territories like Bermuda or the Turks & Caicos)

Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace View Post
the federal government already issues every single american a basic ss# card with your name and ss# on it. Why can't we just have that card contain our photo?

not for identification

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
So lets see..I need a photo ID to cash a check, go thru TSA, buy a car, buy alcohol...the list goes on...but NO, I do NOT need one to vote? Oh, come ON!! This is idiocy. How many vote often because there is no requirement to prove who you are? I say "card 'em".
Texas spent millions investigating the so called voter fraud and they didn't turn up one single case.

Right wing bigots don't want poor minorities to vote. (because they vote Democrat) So they created a fantasy problem that there is some significant about of voter fraud.

GOP voters, too stupid and ignorant to know there is no voter fraud, go along. Or many know this is a scam to deny voting rights.

They can't imagine not having a car, or a checking account, or a credit card.

Duuuhhhhh! All the people on my fight have ID! Hence, everybody should have ID then!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
I hope people who argue against voter I.D's realize they will be without a country if they continue to let anyone that is here illegally vote. Not talking just Mexico, but say.....some un-named country that wants you women to all wear sheets and support wife beatings, beheadings, name any other offense, comes in a votes in record numbers changing your contitution, your laws, your way of life.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I really don't understand how ANYONE can oppose voter ID laws. The states and territories make it so freaking easy to get ID these days. In one state (I believe it's Georgia) they will even come right to your freaking house for free and make your ID for you right in front of you.

If you can't afford to get a driver's license or non-driver ID card then you have some serious issues. It's $15 to get a non driver ID card here in New York.

The only reason it's opposed is because then ACORN can't round up the homeless and have them vote 5 times each for the Democrat candidates in exchange for cigarettes. That my friends is FRAUD. We should take pride in free and fair elections.
You have to have a picture ID to vote where I live. I believe everyone should have a state ID, it should have a picture,
and everyone should show it to vote. If you are not a citizen, you can't vote. If you don't care enough to be registered
to vote, you don't need to vote.

I had to get a complete background chcek, complete with fingerprinting, just to coach youth baseball. We have to have
picture IDs on us.

We live in a democracy. Voting is the basis for our government, only legal citizens should vote.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:10 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I hope people who argue against voter I.D's realize they will be without a country if they continue to let anyone that is here illegally vote. Not talking just Mexico, but say.....some un-named country that wants you women to all wear sheets and support wife beatings, beheadings, name any other offense, comes in a votes in record numbers changing your contitution, your laws, your way of life.
Another right wing poster living in fantasy land.

Claims people illegally vote.

Post your objective sourcing that claims this happens in any significant manner?

Slowly......we are talking about "voter" fraud....not "voter registration" fraud.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
As I have said before on CD, I can't believe that some of those who constantly warn about the evils of 'the government' suddenly think that it is right and proper for 'the government' to create more and more rules that could restrict an otherwise eligible person's right to vote.

Indeed, the right to vote is, perhaps, our greatest right as Americans. I have long believed that there is a presumption that a person showing up at a polling station has the right to cast a vote (indeed, 'id cards' is a fairly recent invention). For instance, we had a thread not too long ago about a WWII veteran who was denied his right to vote because he did not have ID on him. Shameful.

I am also one who distinguishes between fraudulent 'voter registration' versus actual 'voter fraud'. There have certainly been famous instances of fraudulent voter registration, such as Porky Pig. However, Mr. Pig, of course, never actually showed up to vote.

Voltaire once said something to the effect that 'it is better that ten guilty men go free than one innocent man be punished'. I would add that it would be better for 10 ineligible people to vote, than deny the vote to the one eligible person (like the WWII vet). Again, various studies over the decades show that the actual rate of voter fraud is miniscule.

This should not be a Liberal v. Conservative issue. It should be an American people v. Government issue. If you believe that the government should be in the business of imposing barriers to vote, you are for Big Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies