Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,209,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
"Will this thread incite as much passion as the confederate one?"

Your thread incited me to write a column on your subject, and I submit it here, FWIW:

The American Flag - How Do You Feel About It? - © Kent Fletcher
September 17, 2007
You almost got me! I'm an emotional guy and my eyes welled up, slightly. Almost got me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,719,767 times
The flag stands for an amazing country and a great people, but personally I do not think it is designed very well, nor is it very pretty. Martha Stewart could have put Betsy Ross to shame!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,503 times
I'm more interested in the principles that it represents than the symbol itself. People did not die for a piece of cloth (or at least I hope they didn't).

Old 09-18-2007, 10:31 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Really!! Since the U.S. has had to liberate many areas of the world including England in WWII I don't really care what anyone thinks about a G.I. who has just put his butt on the line to save some village or some country and decides to wave the stars & stripes in victory.
Yeah, I suppose. I wasn't really thinking of it like that, I was thinking of it more like saying "HERE COMES AMERICA". Patriotism I have no problem with.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I was brought up to respect and honor the flag. My father was a Marine and my grandfather was in the Army during WWII. The both served their country and saluted that flag every single day. It really burns my toast when I see some young kid who doesn't take his hat off when they sing the national anthem and I have personally done it for them. We all must remember that the flag stands for freedom that we as Americans enjoy.
AMEN. I couldnt agree more with you. Those that desecrate the flag should be punished.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I proudly fly the American flag. You know my posts in the other thread about some rural residents in Maryland wave it to make transplants feel unwelcome....in my part of the state I just have to fly the Star and Stripes to make myself standout from the liberal elite.

I've noticed how you see a lot of waving American flags in smaller towns, rural areas, and the South (yes the South) more so than in major cities and suburbs. Some people have this internationalist attitude which I personally don't agree with. These people obviously won't take a large amount of national pride. I think patriotism is an important value that should be promoted in our schools, especially history and government classes. We should identify primarily with our nation before the outside world.

The American flag is part of a mix that gives many towns an all-American feel, along with apple pie, soda fountains, picket porches, town squares with a church and a courthouse, farmers markets, antique stores etc etc. I love that feeling driving on roads passing small towns and farm fields seeing the American flag on bumper stickers and on mailboxes and windows.

I've always felt there's a major cultural and values divide country. I guess that can be extended to the Blue vs. Red election trend. This divide is not due to politics but voting patterns reflect it. One side flies the American flag with pride. The other side does not. Literally.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:08 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,592,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I proudly fly the American flag. You know my posts in the other thread about some rural residents in Maryland wave it to make transplants feel unwelcome....in my part of the state I just have to fly the Star and Stripes to make myself standout from the liberal elite.

I've noticed how you see a lot of waving American flags in smaller towns, rural areas, and the South (yes the South) more so than in major cities and suburbs. Some people have this internationalist attitude which I personally don't agree with. These people obviously won't take a large amount of national pride. I think patriotism is an important value that should be promoted in our schools, especially history and government classes. We should identify primarily with our nation before the outside world.

The American flag is part of a mix that gives many towns an all-American feel, along with apple pie, soda fountains, picket porches, town squares with a church and a courthouse, farmers markets, antique stores etc etc. I love that feeling driving on roads passing small towns and farm fields seeing the American flag on bumper stickers and on mailboxes and windows.

I've always felt there's a major cultural and values divide country. I guess that can be extended to the Blue vs. Red election trend. This divide is not due to politics but voting patterns reflect it. One side flies the American flag with pride. The other side does not. Literally.
So those who fly the flag are all Red Staters, and all those who don't are all Blue Staters or the "Liberal Elite"?

Don't get out much, do ya? Come to my "Blue" sate and I'll show you plenty of flags a-flyin'. My neighbor is vehently anti-war. He has a peace sign and an American flag adorning his house. I'm sure that'd be confusing to you!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:12 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,981 times
Since when does flag flying, flag sticking pasting = patriotism?

what a false sense of patriotism.

And national pride should mean the nation doing the right thing and a nation questioning it if its wrong, not just supporting things because the powers that be says to support it.

And working with other nations is not a internationalist attitude, its a form of national pride that we can work with other nations, I certainly do not advocate blind patriotism.

I will agree it looks nice though, like skyscraper billboard advertising nice.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,400,746 times
I salute this flag. It is essentially the same flag as the one during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, it just has a lot more stars on it now. Much prettier IMO than the Confederate flag. The Union fought for this flag during the Civil War, but Southerners, whether they want to admit it or not, fought for this flag everytime except for the Civil War. This flag IMO is the best in the world.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM

520 posts, read 1,854,138 times
I think its a decent looking flag. I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to put it everywhere. Don't you think its a little disrespectful to let it get covered in mud on your big ole SUV? I understand and like what the flag represents. The US is the greatest country in the world. But I can remember what country I'm in without a reminder every 10 feet.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies