Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:02 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
"

So, back to the subject, The American Flag - How Do You Feel About It? I love it, I wish to live nowhere else in the world but under it, and I will defend the Flag and the Constitution to my dying breath against all, ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic!

I hope, for the future of this country, yours is not a minority opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
you can always count on patriotism from many of us in the red states

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
And I am free to speak out against positions such as yours. The flag doesn't represent one party, or one administration. It isn't something that gets flown only when YOU are happy with the direction the country is going. It is easy to only show your patriotism when everything is roses and everyone is happy. You don't like Bush, fine. You hate the war, fine also. Domestic problems really pi*s you off, great. Our flag stands for so much more than that. It is one of the few symbols left that still has the power to unite all the different minded people in this land. Personally, I have little use for someone who replaces Old Glory with the Maple Leaf and blames the government for making you do it. You think your freedoms are being eroded? How about the freedom not to have your a*s blown up when you get on a bus in the morning?? THAT freedom is being fought for everyday by our military and domestic law enforcement. And they all salute OUR flag.
I'm off my soapbox now. Peace.
Its not a matter of not liking Bush.........its a matter that he should be impeached, and tried for war crimes. I am not alone in this line of thinking. There are millions of US Citizens who feel strongly about this. 70% of the public wants the War to end, to bring our troops home, do not want more of the lies that were spread in order to get our country into this War. Its failed policy , thousands of people have died , because of it. That blood is on the hands of the Regime that runs this Country !
I have friends who just returned from Europe, they , on the second day there , decided , to tell everyone who asked , that they were Canadians. The US is so disliked almost everywhere in the world, that its embarrassing to be known as a US Citizen.They got very tired of trying to defend themselves.
And , for your comments about Homeland Security, its a joke. The Agency is worthless, can't function, and mired in corruption . The security at our Ports , our borders has never been worse. The one Military defense branch , that was intended to defend us at home , the Coast Guard , has had its funding cut back. Our National Guard as well is being used for non-intended duty. What ever happened to the Guard that was to defend out southern border ? We were much safer , before the War. Now everyone hates us.
Granted , all this is not new, its happened before. Vietnam , what ever happened to the saying , " never again , never again".....some must have forgot.. I am reminded , every time I go to DC, to the memorial............yes its happened before, for the benefit of the wealthy fat cats the profit from turmoil. The oil ,the making of arms,and the defense industries.The private security forces , getting paid millions , while our young men and women, get maimed and killed , for what , for nothing ! For a government , not ours , that wants to see our troops leave their occupied country . They want to see our flag gone from their soil.Why are we there , still , after all these years , " mission Accomplished ", you bet !
Its very sad that our Flag stands for what it does today around the world. If we are to repair the damage, and , I am not sure we can , then the current regime must be removed. The whole world is watching , and waiting , for this to happen. Then , maybe I can open my draw , get out my Flag, and fly it proudly..........once again.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:47 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its not a matter of not liking Bush.........its a matter that he should be impeached, and tried for war crimes. I am not alone in this line of thinking. There are millions of US Citizens who feel strongly about this. 70% of the public wants the War to end, to bring our troops home, do not want more of the lies that were spread in order to get our country into this War. Its failed policy , thousands of people have died , because of it. That blood is on the hands of the Regime that runs this Country !
I have friends who just returned from Europe, they , on the second day there , decided , to tell everyone who asked , that they were Canadians. The US is so disliked almost everywhere in the world, that its embarrassing to be known as a US Citizen.They got very tired of trying to defend themselves.
And , for your comments about Homeland Security, its a joke. The Agency is worthless, can't function, and mired in corruption . The security at our Ports , our borders has never been worse. The one Military defense branch , that was intended to defend us at home , the Coast Guard , has had its funding cut back. Our National Guard as well is being used for non-intended duty. What ever happened to the Guard that was to defend out southern border ? We were much safer , before the War. Now everyone hates us.
Granted , all this is not new, its happened before. Vietnam , what ever happened to the saying , " never again , never again".....some must have forgot.. I am reminded , every time I go to DC, to the memorial............yes its happened before, for the benefit of the wealthy fat cats the profit from turmoil. The oil ,the making of arms,and the defense industries.The private security forces , getting paid millions , while our young men and women, get maimed and killed , for what , for nothing ! For a government , not ours , that wants to see our troops leave their occupied country . They want to see our flag gone from their soil.Why are we there , still , after all these years , " mission Accomplished ", you bet !
Its very sad that our Flag stands for what it does today around the world. If we are to repair the damage, and , I am not sure we can , then the current regime must be removed. The whole world is watching , and waiting , for this to happen. Then , maybe I can open my draw , get out my Flag, and fly it proudly..........once again.

I see and understand many of your points but I don't need the world to like us in order for me to honor my flag and country. I am not a fair-weather patriot and will always wave my flag proudly, even when my gov't lets me down (like they are) I still carry on.

Last edited by happymom4; 10-15-2007 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I see and understand many of your points but I don't need the world to like us in order for me to honor my flag and country. I am not a fair-weather patriot and will always wave my flag proudly, even when my gov't lets me down (like they are) I still carry on.
I understand your passion , but , for the Flag ? My guess its more for what the Flag stands for , to you , that you are referring to. We need to speak out when we see our freedoms are being eroded.The enemy is actually.. us. , for not doing so........

Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
We were much safer , before the War. Now everyone hates us.

You mean like how safe we were on 9/10/01? Guess the people who hijacked those planes the next day really liked us. Or maybe they hated Bush at that time also, when he had been president all of 8 months. I wish to God all the bleeding hearts would just wake the fu*k up and realize that these people hated us then, they hate us now, and they will hate us as long as we exist!!! And if you are so ignorant to think that they have'nt tried to hit us again in the past 6 years, please get off the adult boards and go play with your xbox. I'm sure no self respecting terrorist gives a rats rump about Michigan, but the NYPD and the military have interrupted more attempts since 911 than you would want to know about. If this country is now so horrible to you, go to your beloved Canada and be done with us. We sure would be happy to be done with you.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:06 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,745 times
Quote:
I understand your passion , but , for the Flag ? My guess its more for what the Flag stands for , to you , that you are referring to. We need to speak out when we see our freedoms are being eroded.The enemy is actually.. us. , for not doing so........

Very true to your last 2 sentences. I was a Navy Brat and a Marine Corps wife, so I've been raised to be respectful of our flag and country. I'm not too happy about the shape of the US in certain areas, but my honor/respect never falters. I would not want to live anywhere else.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
You mean like how safe we were on 9/10/01? Guess the people who hijacked those planes the next day really liked us. Or maybe they hated Bush at that time also, when he had been president all of 8 months. I wish to God all the bleeding hearts would just wake the fu*k up and realize that these people hated us then, they hate us now, and they will hate us as long as we exist!!! And if you are so ignorant to think that they have'nt tried to hit us again in the past 6 years, please get off the adult boards and go play with your xbox. I'm sure no self respecting terrorist gives a rats rump about Michigan, but the NYPD and the military have interrupted more attempts since 911 than you would want to know about. If this country is now so horrible to you, go to your beloved Canada and be done with us. We sure would be happy to be done with you.
And , where were those who did the 9/11 attack from ? Not Iraq , not Iran. They were from Saudi-Arabia, the country that we just sold more military goods to , so.........and , if we are hit big time again , will you change your mind....?...no,I didn't think so. If you think we are safe from future attacks ,by the Homeland Security's work , you are fooling yourself.
You are just cherry picking my comments ( typical ) , cause you can not dispute the facts. Your personal attacks are all you seem to have left in your arsenal of hate........ You have no Idea of whom you are talking too. Likewise , I do not know you, and , am beginning to think I don't want to . If you can not compose yourself without personal attacks ,on these threads, then don't waste my time by replying.......

Old 10-15-2007, 03:30 PM

660 posts, read 2,441,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i am proud to be an american, proud of our soldiers, and proud of our flag!
yes totally agree

Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
And , where were those who did the 9/11 attack from ? Not Iraq , not Iran. They were from Saudi-Arabia, the country that we just sold more military goods to , so.........and , if we are hit big time again , will you change your mind....?...no,I didn't think so. If you think we are safe from future attacks ,by the Homeland Security's work , you are fooling yourself.
You are just cherry picking my comments ( typical ) , cause you can not dispute the facts. Your personal attacks are all you seem to have left in your arsenal of hate........ You have no Idea of whom you are talking too. Likewise , I do not know you, and , am beginning to think I don't want to . If you can not compose yourself without personal attacks ,on these threads, then don't waste my time by replying.......

If you don't like what I write, don't read it. Truth hurts, doesn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies