Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,938 times

Advertisements

I love the American Flag and anyone who disrespects it should not be in this Country.

Last edited by ckzona; 09-09-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default U.S. & C.S.A. Flag : True Sources of American Pride For The Long Term !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
"Will this thread incite as much passion as the confederate one?"

Your thread incited me to write a column on your subject, and I submit it here, FWIW:

The American Flag - How Do You Feel About It? - � Kent Fletcher
September 17, 2007

This subject came up on a website called City-Data.com in the U.S. Forum section. The author wondered if this topic was going to get the same interest as the discussion of the Confederate flag, and the answer is a blatant, NO!

Why, I wonder? After all, the Confederate flag is one which has been, for the most part, retired for over 100 years, although held in great reverence by subcultures around the world as a symbol of hate, of slavery, of superiority by a white race. It was beaten up, shredded, and burned by the Union forces of the War of North Aggression, as some folks in the South still call the Civil War, yet, it lives on, and on.

Today, September 17, by coincidence, is Constitution Day in these United States. Did you know that? While it is not a federal holiday, it is still a significant day in the history of the United States, as being the day of ratification and signing of the Constitution of these United States, beginning with a small enclave of states on the east coast and eventually spreading across the land between the countries of Canada and Mexico, and beyond, for that matter. From the website Home - Constitution Day - Constitution Day (http://hancock.constitutioncenter.org/constitutionday/display/MainS/Home - broken link), comes this statement:

On Sept. 17, 1787, the U.S. Constitution was signed by thirty-nine brave men who changed the course of history. Now Constitution Day is a time for us to continue their legacy and develop habits of citizenship in a new generation of Americans.

The preamble of our Constitution reads thus:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The Preamble and all the Articles can be found here: LII: Constitution. I suppose it wouldn't hurt me to really go read the Constitution and all its Amendments throughout the last 220 years, as I don't think I've ever done it before.

But the Constitution is not really the subject here. The United States Flag is the subject for this writing. And the questions is how do I feel about it? I must think about this a little bit, get all my ducks in a row, attempt to make some sense of my answer.

For instance, I served my country in the United States Navy for some 20 years, 3 months, and 16 days, active duty and reserve duty combined. Seems longer than that, but the cumulative is all that counts. I solemnly swore to uphold the flag and the orders of the officers appointed over me, and to the best of my ability, I truly believe that is what I did. Sometimes it was an effort because some of the officers were really dunces, but that's another matter, I guess. Heck, even some of the enlisted folks were dunces, too.

Hence, here is the current USN oath of enlistment:

The Oath of Enlistment

I, ___________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Yep, that's close enough for me, after all, I swore in on April 9, 1970, a mere 37 years ago. Sheez! But where does the "feeling" for the flag come in the picture? I must explore that a bit, maybe in another column, but for all intents and purposes, I'll just have to go with my gut feeling at this moment.

The United States Flag has its own history, and I'll not delve into that here, other than to say it stands for all the ideals of the United States citizenry today. It is the symbol of freedom for peoples far and wide, and it has a draw on peoples far and wide that those peoples will risk limb and life to get inside our borders, legally or illegally. I cannot imagine another person not of United States citizenry in their desire and risks to attain this country, to acknowledge their dreams and desires to live under this flag, to obey the laws of the land, to become productive members of a society steeped in tradition and conflict, at the same time.

I'll cut to the chase, here, and say that I love my United States Flag, for all it stands for, for all the tribulations it has stood for in the past 200+ years. While a lot of folks take negative stock of the desecration of the flag, it is but a simple stitched-together piece of cloth in hard-core terms. All the flags I've ever owned, when the time comes that the flag is tattered, torn, discolored to distraction, it is then that I burn the flag in a private ceremony, retiring it to a place of honor. Then I'll get another flag and fly it as proud as the last one.

It is the symbolism of the United States Flag that counts, and that's all there is to it. As long as the Constitution of these United States rule the citizenry, and the citizenry abides by those rules, that's all that counts. The flag is the symbol of freedom for all the countries around the world, and will continue to be as long as there are freedom-loving people to protect said symbolism.

So, back to the subject, The American Flag - How Do You Feel About It? I love it, I wish to live nowhere else in the world but under it, and I will defend the Flag and the Constitution to my dying breath against all, ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic!
Delta Planter !!! ... Three Thumbs Up For You !

BRAVO !!! ... I can't imagine anyone saying it any better !

Without question all "Patriotic American's" love, honor, and will without doubt defend our Grand Flag and way of life against any and all enemies !

How fortunate we are to live in this blessed land where both the American Flag and the Confererate States of America Flag are truly a tremendous source of "Pride" and outstanding "Heritage" for so very many fantastic citizens !

Long live America the Great ! ... and long live the "Exceptional History" of the CSA, it's beautiful flag, and all those facinating folks who lived during those most intriguing times !

American History ... Second To None ! Look Away Dixie Land !!!

Thanks Yawl / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
I think it's a good flag, there's probably going to be more stars added to it in the future.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Anybody who puts the American flag down doesn't deserve to be an American in my opinion. If you don't like the national flag for what it represents, leave the country please.
Yeah, don't put down the flag, just put down Americans especially those that have different opinions than you. There is nothing more important than symbols. Our soldiers are out there dying for the flag, not the American people (at least not the fake Americans)!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:20 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Well, in my opinion it's best to respect it, but it's also just a symbol. I don't fly one in my yard. It's just as good the flag of any other nation.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newton296 View Post
It think the american flag is ugly ! just my opinion but I'm a little embarrassed when I see it next to all the other counties flags! now spain has a nice flag. russia I like. italy's is nice. even mexico's looks better then ours. we may have the ugliest flag on the planet. can anyone think of one thats uglier than ours?

if not, its time to redesign it !
Totally disagreed. I think its a very attractive flag.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Whenever I see a red/blue combo with anything- I think "America"
I love our flag.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Red White and Blue is one of the most common national flag colors in the world.

In addition to the U.S.A., the U.K., France, Czech Republic, The Netherlands, Russia, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Norway, Iceland, and a whole host of others.

Of course, being American, I too 'see the flag' when I see red white and blue on something especially if they are in equal parts.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
I love the flag that is the only flag that should be displayed, not the confederate flag.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Just curious, anyone else think the american flag is ugly? from a design aspect? I think they could have designed a better one. Thoughts or should I not even be bringing this up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies