Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarleton View Post
What's with the stereotypical english, stiff upper lip, mate, old chap nonsense? Border line racism or what? I speak with a profound southern drawl that I cherish. So when did America liberate England during WWII?
England didn't need liberating. The NAZI's never occupied England.

American forces, British forces, French, Canadian, Soviet, etc. liberated Europe form the juggernaut of the German war machine. Along with some help from Germany herself.......invading the Soviet Union was really where they lost.

Last edited by Sayid Linus; 11-17-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarleton View Post
Exactly my point England was never liberated by America
Correct. America and Britain together liberated occupied Europe. Thankfully we'll never know but if Germany had not invaded the USSR they may have won the war. Maybe.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
I prefer liberals physically burning the flag over literally shredding the Constitution.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Do I love our flag? Sure! It's a pretty one, as the French commented, and it's a big part of my heritage. I made an oath to protect everything it represents, good and bad.

The Confederate battle flag? Nah. It is only a relic of history, long dead and gone. It wasn't even a national emblem to start with. I would no more get in a fight over it than I would over the battle flag of the 54th Maine. Neither is worth the consternation. And I won't get in a fight over a mini ball, either, and both sides used that one aplenty.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Americans DIED for that flag. I salute the red and white every time I get a chance. For the soldiers before me who died, and for the ones who will. People don't have to respect the flag as I do, but just remember the soldiers if nothing else
More importantly, many, many more lived for that flag. It represents the best we want from our lives, and always has.
If death is the only qualifier for allegiance to one's country and heritage, we might as well be flying the Jolly Roger on our national holidays. Remembering our fallen does not exclude those who fell by peaceful means, and I hate the thought that our flag only represents death to others in some parts of the world. We have always aspired to be a better nation than that, and we have largely succeeded.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,988,397 times
Hypocrisy...that is what I think of when I see it

Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Will this thread incite as much passion as the confederate one?
I love the American flag, but at present I think it should be hung upside down.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 AM

603 posts, read 877,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I love the American flag, but at present I think it should be hung upside down.
I agree. Our government is dysfunctional and is stripping our rights.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I agree. Our government is dysfunctional and is stripping our rights.
Seven years back, I read lots of lefties whining about Dubya squashing our rights. Nowadays, I read lots of Obamaphobes making the same claim.

Please enumerate these lost rights. Because they haven't impacted me that I can tell.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
Well, I am the first person on here who doesn't wave the flag, nor do I ever care to wave the flag. First off, it's just a piece of cloth, and an ugly one at that. Second, if I had to have the stupid thing symbolize something, it would be symbolic of the following: war, genocide (Native Americans), hegemony, ignorance, intolerance, indoctrination, and so on. I have found the flag has been attached to nothing of good. It is absolute redneck ridiculousness to get all hurt when someone defiles the flag. Serious, your grandfather died for that flag? I sure hope not.
Isn't is great that you live in a country that allows you to state this opinion without consequences? There are people in this world that can't enjoy that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies