Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Domestic violence and assaulting a police officer are NON-VIOLENT offenses?
What convictions are on Zimmerman's record?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What convictions are on Zimmerman's record?

When your father's a magistrate judge, you don't have a record...until you do something incredibly stupid, like killing an unarmed teen.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I hope he does have injuries. If some strange wierdo starts chasing me in the rain and corners me, I would beat his ass too.
That's what I don't understand about the reactions of the public. The people who automatically assumed the worst of Martin, and back Zimmerman are the same people who would have no qualms about shooting someone with their concealed weapon if that person was following them on the street late at night. Huge double standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
It would be great if everyone would let the legal process unfold and let the system determine if Zimmerman is guilty or not guilty based only on the available evidence. This has become a media circus with so called experts on both sides already having convicted or set him free. The evidence and the judge/jury are the only things that should truly matter.
That is not possible because the police screwed up the investigation mightily. Not insisting that Zimmerman be transported straight to the hospital where his injuries could be examined, documented, and photographed by someone other than a friend or family member of Zimmerman was mistake number one.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Oleg, I think that most of us just want to see a fair trial and some sort of
punishment for Zimmerman...but not blood. When it's reached the point in this country that it's acceptable...even encouraged...to kill someone when
you yourself provoked the circumstances leading to the death, then we just may be beyond redemption. Look at the thread about the teenaged girl who was shot during a burglary...there's no compassion at all. When material goods are more important than human life, it makes a mockery of the assertion that this is a "Christian country." Who would Jesus shoot?
This is what I don't understand - this whole shoot first, ask questions later mentality.

Is it really worth the life of someone to kill them because they steal a couple of your tools? Like in the Joe Horn case, where the dispatcher clearly tells him, "Nope, don't do that - ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, OK?"

I am not against guns - I have a 22 pistol and a couple of rifles and a couple of my sons are really into guns. My 21-year-old has a couple assault rifles (which I don't see any reason for him to have except that he likes to take them out and target shoot with them) and he recently got his first handgun and plans on getting his CCW permit (which I also don't think is necessary).

I think it's ridiculous that so many think they HAVE to be able to carry a gun into Target and other public places. Why? Just on the remote chance that someone might try to hold them up? Really, what are the odds?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
NO!! What's disgusting is this 'killer' is getting a pass. What's disgusting is your ilk defend these thugs, >>> Victimizers, but ignore the victim...and his/her Rights.

THAT'S DISGUSTING
Never defended anyone, just posting my observations and opinions about this case...as we all are, including YOU...you really should take the time to read through a post before you fly off the handle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
He was obsessed....and wanted a black notch on his gun handle.
Ludicrous...

Old 04-21-2012, 09:59 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,430 times
Quote:
Zimmerman certainly spoke as if he'd memorized his remarks, until the statement in question. His father has been pulling strings and orchestrating events from day one, IMO. It was a mistake for him to take the stand.Interesting that the father and wife were allowed to testify via the phone...most people don't get that kind of special treatment.
It's more common than you think...especially since this was not a "trial", but a bail hearing...

Old 04-21-2012, 10:02 AM

17,373 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
When your father's a magistrate judge, you don't have a record...until you do something incredibly stupid, like killing an unarmed teen.
Really?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-11-29/news/fl-judges-daughter-dui-brf-20111129_1_broward-judges-dui-circuit-court-bench

http://winbackyourlife.org/48th-district-court-judges-daughter-arrested-for-minor-in-possession/

http://www.lvrj.com/news/judge-s-son-arrested-in-bellagio-robbery-115167004.html

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/rss/article/240397/3/Circuit-Court-Judges-Son-Arrested

And these were REAL judges ... not glorified court clerks.

Give it a rest already. Geez.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This is what I don't understand - this whole shoot first, ask questions later mentality.

Is it really worth the life of someone to kill them because they steal a couple of your tools? Like in the Joe Horn case, where the dispatcher clearly tells him, "Nope, don't do that - ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, OK?"

I am not against guns - I have a 22 pistol and a couple of rifles and a couple of my sons are really into guns. My 21-year-old has a couple assault rifles (which I don't see any reason for him to have except that he likes to take them out and target shoot with them) and he recently got his first handgun and plans on getting his CCW permit (which I also don't think is necessary).

I think it's ridiculous that so many think they HAVE to be able to carry a gun into Target and other public places. Why? Just on the remote chance that someone might try to hold them up? Really, what are the odds?
There is little regard for human life in America, unless you haven't been born yet. We seem to value property above all else...wealth is the only
thing held sacred by many. I read a post about Trayvon or Summer that says of their being shot, "Good!" and I wonder just who the real animals are. I have to wonder if those who talk the toughest wouldn't wet themselves if confronted by a real criminal...someone who's been in prison for murder, say. It's often said that a criminal is likely to take your gun and use it on you, and that's probably true. It's hard to make sense
when people have been scared witless by groups who benefit from that fear. The fact that 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds annually in the U.S. should make us worry, but it doesn't. If you point out the negatives about the proliferation of guns, people scream that their 2nd Amendment rights are endangered. That leaves little room for pragmatic dialogue.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 AM

179 posts, read 156,654 times
What evidence does anybody have that Zimmerman "provoked" Trayvon? He told the non-emergency dispatch that he did not know where Trayvon was, and he appeared to follow their suggestion that keeping an eye on him was not necessary. Listen to the audio - his breathing slows down, the wind stops. He clearly stopped running to keep an eye on Trayvon.

Trayvon had a huge head start and was literally seconds from his home. Why then did he hang around for 2 minutes while Zimmerman stayed on the phone with the non-emergency dispatch? That is not the action of a scared helpless kid.

Again, somebody walk me through this narrative. We now have overwhelming evidence that Zimmerman was brutally attacked, just like he said. We have graphic photo showing gashes and a large contusion, photo from police station showing huge bump on his nose, 2 eyewitnesses who witnessed the beat-down, and the police report. Everything supports Zimmerman. The prosecutor did not show her hand this week, and it's looking increasingly like she was very unethical in the indictment by withholding material evidence.

The *only* possible way that Zimmerman is guilty of anything is if you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt he started the physical fight. That is an incredible thing to claim, since he was calmly on the phone with the non-emergency police dispatch for several minutes, and he knew the cops were only a minute away. We know Trayvon had a recent history of violent assault, so it's far within the realm of possibility he would attack Zimmerman to "keep it real."

Again, I'm begging somebody to walk me through what they think happened. Explain how Zimmerman, who told the dispatch he did not know where Trayvon was, was somehow able to hunt Trayvon down. Please also explain why Trayvon did not run out the neighborhood if he was so scared, or just return home? Especially when he had a huge head start and was apparently out of sight? Why didn't he call 911?

Also, explain what you think happened when Zimmerman actually confronted Trayvon. What was Zimmerman thinking, when Trayvon was much physically larger than he is? How did Trayvon end up on top of Zimmerman, pummeling him? Why did the coroner say there was not a scratch on Trayvon? Also, the evidence now shows that the gunshot happened at extremely close range, just like Zimmemran has said. Explain how this fits into the narrative of Zimmerman hunting Trayvon down?

With all of the above in mind, can you really tell me you believe beyond a reasonable doubt that Trayvon did not attack Zimmerman just like Zimmerman said he did?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It's more common than you think...especially since this was not a "trial", but a bail hearing...
Yes...I misspoke. Still, it seems a bit unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies