Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,085,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
I haven't read the gazillion posts on the thread.

But when Zimmerman was on the phone with law enforcement before stalking Trevon, he said he thought Treyvon was a teen. After he killed Treyvon, was arrested and on the stand, he said to the parents of Treyvon that he thought Treyvon was about the same age age him. So which was it?
GZs perception may have changed during the altercation.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,237,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
What a difference in perception 40+ days and legal counsel can make.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,200,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
You can read about a speedy trial in Florida at this link:

3.191. Speedy Trial | Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure 2010

Zimmerman, through his attorney, has to file a demand for a speedy trial. For all we know at this point, he could have already waived that right. Often when a not guilty plea is entered the right to a speedy trial is also waived.

I can see absolutely no benefit to Zimmerman in hurrying this case along. FIRST, his attorney has to find out what evidence the state has. That takes time. The State will submit to the defense a witness list (which includes many more witnesses than just any eye witnesses at the crime scene). The defense then has a right to question those witnesses and take depositions. Those things take time. It is NEVER a good idea to rush into trial without being prepared. There are many, many details to preparing for a criminal trial like this.

As for the immunity hearing, from what I've read, the defense has to file a motion to have an immunity hearing; otherwise, there is not one. It appears from the Clerk's docket which tiluha posted, there is not immunity hearing scheduled nor are there any motions filed from the defense demanding an immunity hearing. Zimmerman's lawyer at a press conference kept repeating he was not going to comment on the evidence; he said that all he knew about the evidence was what he learned in the bail hearing. So there's a lot he has to investigate when the State starts to provide discovery.

I think I read somewhere that the State has 15 days either after charges are filed or the defendant makes first appearance to provide discovery to the defense. Charges were filed on April 11 and Zimmerman made his first appearance on April 12. If we use the 12th date, the state is not required to give anything to the defense until April 27. So it's entirely possible at this point that the defense has not seen any of evidence produced from their investigation.

Here's a link to read about discovery in Florida:
Criminal Discovery in Florida - 1996

"A. The purpose of discovery in criminal cases is "to avail the defense of evidence known to the state so that convictions [will] not be obtained by the suppression of evidence favorable to a defendant, or by surprise tactics in the courtroom." Cooper v. State, 336 So.2d 1133, 1138 (Fla. 1976), cert. denied, 431 U.S. 925 (1977)."
It's mind boggling! 343 pages (last updated 4-2-12)
FLORIDA RULES OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE This is from The Florida Bar website...

Last edited by tiluha; 04-23-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,419,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It's mind boggling! 343 pages (last updated 4-2-12)
FLORIDA RULES OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE This is from The Florida Bar website...
Indeed! Thanks for the Florida Bar site.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
I agree this is entirely possible...

Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Indeed! Thanks for the Florida Bar site.
You're welcome, lots of good stuff!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM

I've seen the death threats on twitter...frightening!

"We have had serious threats that law enforcement is looking into where they've threatened his life and since we don't know how legitimate they are we have to be concerned about all of them," Zimmerman's lawyer Mark O'Mara told ABC News."

Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 PM

191 posts, read 242,946 times
I don't know if this has been discussed, but if things happened the way that Zimmerman said.....wouldn't there be blood transfer on his shirt?? His shirt looked clean to me when he was brought in the first time.

I've been reading some of these posts here and I still can't believe that there are some who thinks it's ok to follow and question a person who's walking in a neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,023,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed, but if things happened the way that Zimmerman said.....wouldn't there be blood transfer on his shirt?? His shirt looked clean to me when he was brought in the first time.

I've been reading some of these posts here and I still can't believe that there are some who thinks it's ok to follow and question a person who's walking in a neighborhood.
One would think that there would be, especially if they were as close as Zimmerman claims. And after posting in all 5 threads there have been about this tragedy, I can honestly tell you that some posters have made me question the existence of human decency. Some are rejoicing that "one more thug" is dead, but the vast majority of them are men. Women tend to see Trayvon as a kid, and show much more compassion.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,999,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
One would think that there would be, especially if they were as close as Zimmerman claims. And after posting in all 5 threads there have been about this tragedy, I can honestly tell you that some posters have made me question the existence of human decency. Some are rejoicing that "one more thug" is dead, but the vast majority of them are men. Women tend to see Trayvon as a kid, and show much more compassion.
You also have to understand this is the internet. People can hide behind a screen name and not have to look anyone in the eye and express their true opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.