Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Boxers are matched by weight, are they not?
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_class_%28boxing%29]Weight class (boxing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

I'm sure a lanky kid can inflict blows. As can a short, stocky guy. But TM was not a big kid. He was a tall, thin kid. That was what I was responding to.

One thing I know for sure, a handgun trumps weight class in a fight.
Exactly! I realize George Zimmerman has been wearing a bullet proof vest, so he looks a bit broader in the shoulders, but we haven't seen him without a top, so 5'8", 185 lbs might mean he's a little chubby or he could work out and be muscular. We just don't know. Trayvon Martin was called "slim" and other names referring to his slender build. He was tall, over 6 feet, but he weighed 150. I mentioned in another post that George's brother, father and friend all said he lost a lot of weight. Another poster said I exaggerated and said he lost 75 lbs, which isn't true. All I said is that it's possible he weighed as much as 200 lbs, maybe more. Losing 5 lbs a week isn't uncommon, especially if someone isn't eating 3 meals a day or is under a lot of stress. I'm not going to count the days, but I think the first time we saw him was on April 12. That's about 6 weeks after the shooting. I realize this is only speculation, but I did hear several times that "George isn't eating" or "George has lost a lot of weight."

I don't think any of this matters since, as you said, the gun is the great equalizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I didn't say that was YOU and if you took it that way please know I was referring to the prosecution.

They would be wanting him to go on the computer posting and talking all over the place.
There's no evidence that he has ever posted anything that is bigoted. However, he definitely was looking for young, Black males. It was in his newsletters and emails to people in the community. One resident said he was afraid to take a walk.

I doubt if he'll be posting anything online about this case. He'd be crazy to incriminate himself.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
However, if I were safely in my car and saw someone walking who didn't seem to belong around here, I'd call the cops and wait.
Depends on your situation. I think GZ was trying to figure out what the non resident was doing there.

I once had to start to go into a situation was a little white family in a small car with a baby on their lap that were stopped by a car in front with 4 Hispanics coming out with crowbars and starting to break windows with the baby and parents inside.
My thinking was, GEEZ I'm probably going to die, but the woman and child are in trouble.
I suppose it was an attempted carjacking.

I was lucky, an undercover person came from behind me with the gun drawn and probably saved me from a pine box or a hospital along with saving that family.

It all depends on the situation is my point.

I have a three year old now, was single then. I fear I would have done the same thing as I was going to do to help.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Any boxer will tell you reach is extremely important don't discount a lanky tall kids. I know quite a few people who discounted them and ended up with big knots on their faces.

If he's hitting with blows and you don't know how to weave out of them he can inflict some serious damage.
According to the In-Take Sheet (found in the court file) at the time of his arrest, April 12, Zimmerman was 5'8" tall and weighed 185 lbs. Of course, we don't know the exact weight on Feb. 26th. And as someone else pointed out, the extra "weight" of carrying a gun.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
There's no evidence that he has ever posted anything that is bigoted. However, he definitely was looking for young, Black males. It was in his newsletters and emails to people in the community. One resident said he was afraid to take a walk.
They would like his conversations on the phone if taped and his computer for state of mind and other evidence I would think.

He was a community organizer for black people and he tutored black kids for free.
Was he looking for black males exclusively or just for males? How would you know?
It was in a newsletter by GZ that black men were found to be doing all the crime? Was that so?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Even if it is proven that GZ was the aggressor: by law he can be found Not Guilty or the case can be dismissed:

2011 Florida Statute:

JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.041 Use of force by aggressor.—The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:
(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or
(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.
I believe that "and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force" will be key in the prosecution. Zimmerman, being the aggressor, IMO, certainly did not exhaust every reasonable means to escape.

I think this is where the medical examiner's testimony/report may be helpful to the prosecution, as well as a medical assessment of Zimmerman's injuries, plus witness accounts.

I certainly do not have any inside info on what evidence the State has, but until that info is revealed, I do not want to assume they have nothing of value. There are many ways to approach proof that Zimmerman did not use every reasonable means to escape before he used deadly force.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They would like his conversations on the phone if taped and his computer for state of mind and other evidence I would think.

He was a community organizer for black people and he tutored black kids for free.
Was he looking for black males exclusively or just for males? How would you know?
It was in a newsletter by GZ that black men were found to be doing all the crime? Was that so?
How do you know he was a community organizer? Do you have a link to anything official?

Also, does anyone know from police reports or otherwise exactly how many incidents of burglary or other crime had occurred at that apartment complex in, say, the past six months or year? Any numbers? Or was it just suspicion on GZ's part? The credibility of his newsletter should be checked out.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I believe that "and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force" will be key in the prosecution. Zimmerman, being the aggressor, IMO, certainly did not exhaust every reasonable means to escape.

I think this is where the medical examiner's testimony/report may be helpful to the prosecution, as well as a medical assessment of Zimmerman's injuries, plus witness accounts.

I certainly do not have any inside info on what evidence the State has, but until that info is revealed, I do not want to assume they have nothing of value. There are many ways to approach proof that Zimmerman did not use every reasonable means to escape before he used deadly force.
It's key to the defense as well...the statute speaks to a situation where the aggressor during the altercation/struggle finds him/herself in a position of fearing for ones life or serious bodily harm. If the screams for help are validated/believed to be GZ's, this could speak to the "exhaust every reasonable means to escape" part of the statute...

Just looking at both sides of the coin...

Old 04-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I realize George Zimmerman has been wearing a bullet proof vest, so he looks a bit broader in the shoulders, but we haven't seen him without a top, so 5'8", 185 lbs might mean he's a little chubby or he could work out and be muscular. We just don't know. Trayvon Martin was called "slim" and other names referring to his slender build. He was tall, over 6 feet, but he weighed 150. I mentioned in another post that George's brother, father and friend all said he lost a lot of weight. Another poster said I exaggerated and said he lost 75 lbs, which isn't true. All I said is that it's possible he weighed as much as 200 lbs, maybe more. Losing 5 lbs a week isn't uncommon, especially if someone isn't eating 3 meals a day or is under a lot of stress. I'm not going to count the days, but I think the first time we saw him was on April 12. That's about 6 weeks after the shooting. I realize this is only speculation, but I did hear several times that "George isn't eating" or "George has lost a lot of weight."

I don't think any of this matters since, as you said, the gun is the great equalizer.

I doubt if he'll be posting anything online about this case. He'd be crazy to incriminate himself.
The autopsy report will give teh exact height and weight of Trayvon at the time of death. I think those things will be an issue.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:46 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Poor analogy. Instead of attacking the cops Blacks in LA destroyed billions of dollars worth of damage and caused the deaths of scores of people.
"Destroyed billions worth of damage"? Sounds like a clean-up to me.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How do you know he was a community organizer? Do you have a link to anything official?

Also, does anyone know from police reports or otherwise exactly how many incidents of burglary or other crime had occurred at that apartment complex in, say, the past six months or year? Any numbers? Or was it just suspicion on GZ's part? The credibility of his newsletter should be checked out.
He was a leader in an issue with a black guy beat by a police officer. He was upset and went to a bunch of black churches, posted flyers to get attention and tutored black kids for free.
It was out there in the press.

Newsletters are a LOT of trouble. I can see the complex producing some, I woudln't know why GZ would want the trouble.

Last edited by RCCCB; 04-24-2012 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies