Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Poor analogy. Instead of attacking the cops Blacks in LA destroyed billions of dollars worth of damage and caused the deaths of scores of people.
Actually during the LA Riots cops were in danger and even the firefighters were getting shot at.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It's key to the defense as well...the statute speaks to a situation where the aggressor during the altercation/struggle finds him/herself in a position of fearing for ones life or serious bodily harm. If the screams for help are validated/believed to be GZ's, this could speak to the "exhaust every reasonable means to escape" part of the statute...

Just looking at both sides of the coin...
I agree. And there is an example of important evidence which we "don't know." Could be that the state has already had forensics experts analyze the tape and say that the screams are coming from Trayvon. We just don't know yet.

If the screams turn out to the Martin's, then Zimmerman is in big trouble, so prior to trial or immunity hearing somebody will have forensics experts examine that tape in an attempt to determine who was screaming (if, as I said, that has not already been done).

Another thing the state could do is ask Zimmerman (if he were to take the stand) what he did to try to escape prior to using deadly force....for example, did he try to convince Trayvon in any way that he was the neighborhood watch person? did he tell Trayvon he had a gun? Did he cry out to Trayvon that he was not there to hurt him? What actions did he take to escape the situation? After all, it has been reported that witnesses at the scene heard the two talking to each other.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Depends on your situation. I think GZ was trying to figure out what the non resident was doing there.

I once had to start to go into a situation was a little white family in a small car with a baby on their lap that were stopped by a car in front with 4 Hispanics coming out with crowbars and starting to break windows with the baby and parents inside.
My thinking was, GEEZ I'm probably going to die, but the woman and child are in trouble.
I suppose it was an attempted carjacking.

I was lucky, an undercover person came from behind me with the gun drawn and probably saved me from a pine box or a hospital along with saving that family.

It all depends on the situation is my point.

I have a three year old now, was single then. I fear I would have done the same thing as I was going to do to help.
Agreed. Depends on the situation. You were concerned about someone's well being.

I witnessed four young men dressed in black with pillow cases in the early morning in my neighborhood. A couple of weeks before that, I witnessed four youth in black in the early morning in our neighborhood. I have a carry permit. But I did not confront and shoot them either time. I called the police and reported them.

The crimes that had occurred in GZ's neighborhood were not crimes of violence. They were all property crimes*. Apples and oranges.

*http://www.sanfordfl.gov/investigation/docs/BurglaryReports.pdf (broken link)

He called the police about a suspicious youth, he was told he didn't need to follow him and he said okay. Then, at some point, he took the law into his own hands. If I was TM, that would have freaked me out. And I wouldn't have run to the apartment BC I wouldn't have wanted the scary man approaching me to know where I was staying.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:53 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wake up- the marxist control the media. You should be very concerned whether you are a liberal or a conservative.
Is this why we had Soviet-style censorship for 8 years under GW Bush? Do you know the joke that was popular back in the USSR? The 2 main newspapers: "Pravda" (Truth) and "Izvestiya" (News). the joke goes: Pravda has no Izvestiya, and Izvestiya has no Pravda". Kinda like the media under GW.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Agreed. Depends on the situation. You were concerned about someone's well being.

I witnessed four young men dressed in black with pillow cases in the early morning in my neighborhood. A couple of weeks before that, I witnessed four youth in black in the early morning in our neighborhood. I have a carry permit. But I did not confront and shoot them either time. I called the police and reported them. The crimes that had occurred in GZ's neighborhood were not crimes of violence. They were all property crimes. Apples and oranges.

He called the police about a suspicious youth, he was told he didn't need to follow him and he said okay. Then, at some point, he took the law into his own hands. If I was TM, that would have freaked me out. And I wouldn't have run to the apartment BC I wouldn't have wanted the scary man approaching me to know where I was staying.
here is my question.

if TM would be "freaked out" why wouldn't HE call the police? (maybe he did, but i just haven't heard that yet).

he had a cell phone and he was talking to his girlfriend, so he could have called the police and said that someone was bothering/following him. i think most women would call the police, but maybe men are more willing to get into a confrontation/"handle it".

Old 04-24-2012, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
here is my question.

if TM would be "freaked out" why wouldn't HE call the police? (maybe he did, but i just haven't heard that yet).

he had a cell phone and he was talking to his girlfriend, so he could have called the police and said that someone was bothering/following him. i think most women would call the police, but maybe men are more willing to get into a confrontation/"handle it".
He was 17 freaking years old! I agree, a woman would be more likely to call the police. 17 year old guys tend to think they have the world by the tail, so to speak.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I agree. And there is an example of important evidence which we "don't know." Could be that the state has already had forensics experts analyze the tape and say that the screams are coming from Trayvon. We just don't know yet.

If the screams turn out to the Martin's, then Zimmerman is in big trouble, so prior to trial or immunity hearing somebody will have forensics experts examine that tape in an attempt to determine who was screaming (if, as I said, that has not already been done).

Another thing the state could do is ask Zimmerman (if he were to take the stand) what he did to try to escape prior to using deadly force....for example, did he try to convince Trayvon in any way that he was the neighborhood watch person? did he tell Trayvon he had a gun? Did he cry out to Trayvon that he was not there to hurt him? What actions did he take to escape the situation? After all, it has been reported that witnesses at the scene heard the two talking to each other.
The forensic examination of the tapes can prove to be tricky, the court may end up with dueling experts. If the eyewitness turns out to be reliable and an expert says it's GZ's voice it could be a problem for the prosecution.

What is key is what happened seconds before the gun was fired, there is a witness (so far) that stated GZ was on the bottom screaming to him for help [that can be looked at as an attempt to escape], if there was a struggle for the gun [in an interview GZ's brother said he was told this was the case] and TM was getting the better of the struggle it could speak to the fear that there was no other way out than to fire the gun.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM

11,341 posts, read 16,697,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is this why we had Soviet-style censorship for 8 years under GW Bush? Do you know the joke that was popular back in the USSR? The 2 main newspapers: "Pravda" (Truth) and "Izvestiya" (News). the joke goes: Pravda has no Izvestiya, and Izvestiya has no Pravda". Kinda like the media under GW.
You're kidding right.

The media ripped GW apart for his 8 years in office.

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
here is my question.

Maybe he didn't have confidence the police would protect him.

Wonder why?

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Any boxer will tell you reach is extremely important don't discount a lanky tall kids. I know quite a few people who discounted them and ended up with big knots on their faces.

If he's hitting with blows and you don't know how to weave out of them he can inflict some serious damage.
Are you a boxer now?

I thought you were a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies