Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Thank you. I don't recall Neighborhood Watch rules being over the Constitution but I guess they are now.
I hate it when someone keeps mentioning the Constitution. I'm not saying it's as bad as talking about Hitler but, for the past 3 years, we've heard the Constitution mentioned so many thousands of times that it is, unfortunately, starting to lose its true meaning.

I'd love to, but I'll use some restraint and won't go off on a tangent about guns laws and the Constitution on this thread, since this case isn't about the Constitution. After all, if it were, Zimmerman would be guilty, since it didn't have a SYG law in it. The 2nd Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Where was the war that night?

Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Either Zimmerman is or Martin was a piece of crap. The evidence, IMO, suggests Martin. This does not mean Martin's death was not a tragedy. He well could have changed his ways given time to grow up. We will never know.
I don't understand the reasoning behind that (if there is any). Neither of them have to be a "piece of crap".

Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That's a good article. I read soon as you posted the link.

Reading the def of murder 2 again reminded me of how weak the affadavit was, which reminded me of why I think they'll want multiple lesser includeds.

I agree that the state has more than revealed. They'd better, or this prosecution for murder 2 is an abuse of the judicial system.
I think as attorneys in a high profile case, the State might be hesitant file on what they considered to be a very weak case. From my reading of that link, I felt that it was very possible for the State to prevail even with just the evidence which has been disclosed; and then there is the evidence that has not been made public. I could be wrong though.

Btw, I totally disagree with Alan Dershowitz.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM

I wish people weren't talking about "stalking" so much, unless you know what stalking really is. If you go to a movie, to dinner or just grocery shopping and keep seeing someone lurking behind a tree or sitting in a parked car watching you, and then get phone calls and only hear breathing, it's difficult to describe the terror. There are often words we use that, when put into legal terms, have very different meanings.

When I was in my 20s, my telephone would ring as soon as I got home from work. There would only be heavy breathing. As soon as my husband came home from his job, the calls would stop. I called the police and the calls finally stopped when they came to my home. The caller apparently was close by and knew I called them. So then I knew one of my neighbors was watching me. Illegal? I don't know. But it was very unsettling.

However, being followed in the dark can be pretty frightening too. While Zimmerman was on the phone with 911, he could have just called out to him. He was certainly close enough. "He's just staring at me." (911 call) "Hey, buddy. Do I know you? I'm George from the Neighborhood Watch Group and I'm supposed to stop and question people who don't live here. Are you visiting someone?" Sounds pretty simple to me. After all, Zimmerman had a gun, so he had nothing to fear.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-29-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Neither ff5000 nor anyone else knows how many or which lesser included offenses will be in the jury instructions.
The jury instructions will be based on the evidence presented at the trial. The attorneys and the judge get together at some point prior to the closing statements and determine what law the jury will be read. Prior to the charge conference, attorneys submit proposed jury charges to the court based on what evidence they intend to present. Then, as I said, at some point during the trial, prior to the closing arguments, the Court and attorneys have a hearing outside the presence of the jurors, to determine which of the proposed jury charges will be read to the jury. And THAT is where it's determined which lesser includeds have been covered by the presentation of evidence to the jury.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I hate it when someone keeps mentioning the Constitution. I'm not saying it's as bad as talking about Hitler but, for the past 3 years, we've heard the Constitution mentioned so many thousands of times that it is, unfortunately, starting to lose its true meaning.

I'd love to, but I'll use some restraint and won't go off on a tangent about guns laws and the Constitution on this thread, since this case isn't about the Constitution. After all, if it were, Zimmerman would be guilty, since it didn't have a SYG law in it. The 2nd Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Where was the war that night?

The 2nd Amendment - YouTube

Basically, people have the right to bear arms, ultimately because they may need to protect themselves from the tyrannical nature of other men. And that means, they are allowed to carry a weapon with them that may be necessary to protect their own freedoms and security. Because it is impossible to know at what exact time this protection will be necessary.

If a person is attacked, they have the right to defend themselves, and with deadly force under the laws of Florida. And so if you are carrying a gun because it is your constitutional right to do so, and you feel the need for deadly force, you are going to use it. Period.

If you don't like the second amendment. You should look into repealing the 14th amendment. In the 14th amendment, enshrines the power of the Supreme Court to guarantee gun rights to all citizens.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I think as attorneys in a high profile case, the State might be hesitant file on what they considered to be a very weak case. From my reading of that link, I felt that it was very possible for the State to prevail even with just the evidence which has been disclosed; and then there is the evidence that has not been made public. I could be wrong though.

Btw, I totally disagree with Alan Dershowitz.
I guess this is up to interpretation because I feel that Alan Dershowitz is 100% correct and I disagree with your contention about the prosecutors. I think the prosecutors are motivated more by politics and maintaining public safety than doing right by the facts of the case.

By pressing forward with a weak case they leave it up to a judge or jury to throw it out,acquit or convict. If they unilaterally make the decision to not charge Zimmerman they would come under blistering criticism by Sharpton and others putting their careers and the public safety in jeopardy.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
So no one has yet responded to my post about the two witnesses to the fight. I wonder why?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
When was the toxicology report released?
I don't think it was. I also don't think it's relevant. Then the defense could ask if Zimmerman was drunk or on drugs. I know others have mentioned there was no reason to test Zimmerman, but why not? He shot someone! Isn't that "suspicious behavior?" If a cop thinks you are driving erratically and "suspects" you are drunk, in some states (not Florida) you have to take a breathalizer or your license will be suspended and your car will be impounded. Killing someone is a lot more serious, don't you think?
Quote:
So no one has yet responded to my post about the two witnesses to the fight. I wonder why?
I'll have to go back to look for the post to which you refer, but I believe you've gotten several responses from a few people in the past. You're just not getting the answers you want.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
No I am not an attorney. I am however an intelligent individual who can comprehend what I read.
And within the court system, there's this saying that anyone who represents him/herself has a fool for a client. I have personally witnessed this to be true on a number of occasions.

Reading and interpreting the law is not as easy as some people think it is. There's a reason folks go to law school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies