Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
No, it's not a cop out. How can you have an intelligent conversation with LARGE pieces of the puzzle missing? If you had read the links you would have seen percentages regarding wrongful convictions due to eye witness testimony. You have basically a stacked deck arguing from what has been released at this point.
So I take it you have nothing, thanks for trying though. Anyone else?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yes and I maintain that belief. Lawyers do not have a monopoly on interpreting the law correctly. Any intelligent person can do it, give it a try sometimes. Frankly with all of the sub par law schools and reduction of standards many lawyers aren't that good anyway.
Well, alrighty then. No point in discussing this with someone who thinks so highly of himself.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
So I take it you have nothing, thanks for trying though. Anyone else?
As I said, no reason to try to have a discussion with someone who is so closed. Arrogance is not lacking in your posts. Seems you are fearful of trying to argue without having a stacked deck in your favor.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You are misunderstanding the situation.
Quote:
So your argument is pretty damn stupid. Because it was a matter of defending himself from an attack.
Quote:

I highly doubt anyone with a few working brain cells is going to try to argue that self-defense violates due process.
I quoted a few of the lines from this post, just in case anyone wonders why I am not responding to it. I only participate in discussions that are polite, respectful and civil.

Apparently a person does not have the right to privacy or quiet enjoyment in this country. According to those who believe you can be followed in the dark, confronted and shot if you defend yourself, taking a walk and minding your own business is not a right.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-29-2012 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: fix typo "taking a walk" not "talking a walk"

Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
So no one has yet responded to my post about the two witnesses to the fight. I wonder why?
Oh give me a break! These witnesses and others have been discussed ad nauseum.

Trayvon Martin witness casts doubt on shooter's self-defense claims | Fox News

Here is a link saying the larger guy (Zimmerman) was on top:

Witness, Zimmerman attorneys address key questions in Trayvon shooting - CNN.com

Of course, Zimmerman's first attorney had this to say about the above:

"I think it was dark, and I don't think she's sure what she saw," Sonner said.

So when testimony is unfavorable to GZ, it's doubtful, but when it is unfavorable to Trayvon, it's the Gospel truth.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The facts have NOT changed. Zimmerman still shot Trayvon. Trayvon is still dead. We do not know who started the altercation. Some things have come out, e.g. Zimmerman's arrest record and history of violence; Trayvon's suspensions from school, all of which were for non-violent offenses.

When the first pictures were released, I personally thought Trayvon looked young for 17. Turns out those were old pictures. Zimmerman looked like an obese man. Turned out that was an old picture.

Lots of speculation. Zimmerman was/wasn't acting in neighborhood watch capacity. Trayvon was/wasn't on top. Etc.

The facts are the same as they were when this shooting first made national attention.
I wish I could rep you, but I can't, so I'll respond to your comment. Yes, you've got it, Katiana. That's it in a nutshell, as the saying goes.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:

Witness, Zimmerman attorneys address key questions in Trayvon shooting - CNN.com

So when testimony is unfavorable to GZ, it's doubtful, but when it is unfavorable to Trayvon, it's the Gospel truth.
FYI conflicting witnesses help Zimmerman the burden is on the state to prove he committed 2nd degree murdere. At any rate the Fox News article has this:

Quote:
In reference to the size difference between 28-year-old Zimmerman and Martin, the witness described the fight as being between a "larger man" and a "boy." While the witness said he was not able to see who was on top of the other as the two scuffled, he said "there wasn't a lot of movement" immediately before he heard a gunshot.
So you want us to take the statements of a witness who admittedly wasn't able to see who was on top versus one who clearly saw who was on top.

You still haven't addressed the witness John's statements directly. Statements coming right after the incident not a month later when the motivations of witnesses may not be as pure.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
FYI conflicting witnesses help Zimmerman the burden is on the state to prove he committed 2nd degree murdere. At any rate the Fox News article has this:

So you want us to take the statements of a witness who admittedly wasn't able to see who was on top versus one who clearly saw who was on top.

You still haven't addressed the witness John's statements directly. Statements coming right after the incident not a month later when the motivations of witnesses may not be as pure.
I"m sorry, Edward, but you cannot compel me to address anything, much as you would like to. I've addressed "John" before, in a number of threads. I don't feel like going back and researching John, what he said, etc.

Frankly, I think an attorney could rip up any of those witnesses. I doubt the 13 year old's mother will let him testify. My opinions about these witnesses.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:

thanks for those links.

Some people just want to limit the parameters of a debate so as to have great advantage because they know they can't prevail in a fair discussion.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:

AND the burden is on Zimmerman to prove he acted in self defense.

Edward, do you know what an affirmative defense is and what it entails? Have you looked at the elements of 2nd degree murder in order to know what the state has to prove? What's going on with that ability to read the law and understand it as well or better than some attorneys?

Can you explain in detail how conflicting witnesses help Zimmerman, rather than cancelling each other out?

So you are basing your entire "case" (opinion) actually on ONE WITNESS. IMO that's a very simplistic view and one consistent with someone who has absolutely no experience in and little knowledge of how cases are litigated in the real world. If you are ever in a position of having legal troubles, you should definitely hire a lawyer to help you.

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 04-29-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies