Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
And how many of them know that the NWA specifically states that one isn't to carry a loaded weapon? Another fine detail on the list of poor choices made by Zimmerman that night. Perhaps they equate possession of a firearm with moral superiority and authority.
Individual watch groups aren't bound by those guidelines, and as the people on your side of this issue have pointed out, the watchman was not on duty at the time.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You don't need a license to be a watchman. The watch captain in this case didn't need any official blessing from the state, it's a private community group. And so what if he was not on duty that night? Can a cop not prevent a crime unless he or she is officially on duty? A doctor can't help a choking kid if he isn't on duty? What difference does it make whether the watch captain was on duty or coming home from the store? He was still carrying out his function.
Thank you. I don't recall Neighborhood Watch rules being over the Constitution but I guess they are now.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
How does any of this impact the case? He has a CCW and he can walk around armed as a private citizen. It may matter in a civil case in what capacity Zimmerman was acting in but I fail to see how it impacts the case criminally.
Here you go again! I was discussing Neighborhood Watch and how the GZ defenders seem to move the goalposts every time they bring up NW watch and how Zimmerman either was or wasn't acting in NW capacity.

In the context of the case, it probably means nothing, as NW doesn't make him a legally sworn officer. HOWEVER, his defenders could quit talking about his heroic NW duties if it's so irrlevant TO THEM!

Please answer this directly-are you an attorney? If so, are you licensed in Florida?

Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And, of course, we'll never know what, if any, drugs or alcohol Zimmerman may have ingested because the Sanford P.D. did NOT do any kind of drug or alcohol test on him, THE SHOOTER.
Here's a link confirming that there were no drugs or alcohol in Trayvon Martin's system the night he was killed.

Trayvon Martin's marijuana suspension means very little | HULIQ

Old 04-29-2012, 12:57 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A piece of crap by any other name is still a piece of crap.
Wow.

There are really some disgusting people on City Data.

I can't believe that anyone with even the slightest bit of compassion would call a dead kid a "piece of crap."

Especially since you didn't know him. You don't know his family. You don't know ANYONE who has had any kind of real life relationship with him.

All you know about him is what you have read and what you have heard and what you WANT to believe about him based on your own pre-conceived ideas of what a black kid wearing a hoodie was doing on a rainy night in Florida.

You don't know who that kid was and what he might have become......if he had been allowed to live.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here you go again! I was discussing Neighborhood Watch and how the GZ defenders seem to move the goalposts every time they bring up NW watch and how Zimmerman either was or wasn't acting in NW capacity.

In the context of the case, it probably means nothing, as NW doesn't make him a legally sworn officer. HOWEVER, his defenders could quit talking about his heroic NW duties if it's so irrlevant TO THEM!

Please answer this directly-are you an attorney? If so, are you licensed in Florida?
No I am not an attorney. I am however an intelligent individual who can comprehend what I read.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
No I am not an attorney. I am however an intelligent individual who can comprehend what I read.
And the rest of us aren't? Your interpretation is not always the correct interpretation; keep that in mind.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Individual watch groups aren't bound by those guidelines, and as the people on your side of this issue have pointed out, the watchman was not on duty at the time.
When the group was formed, a representative from the NWA made a presentation at the complex. IIRC, initially GZ was paid to be a watchman, but that fell through; there was no authorized NW group there. According to the number of calls to 911 that he made and the testimony of some residents, Zimmerman was always on duty.

George Zimmerman not a member of recognized neighborhood watch organization

[quote] "In no program that I have ever heard of does someone patrol with a gun in their pocket," Carmen Caldwell, the Executive Director of Citizens' Crime Watch of Miami-Dade, told theGrio. "Every city and municipality has their own policies. Here in Miami-Dade we train people only to be the eyes and ears of their communities. Not to follow and most definitely not to carry a weapon." [end quote]

Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,864 times
Quote:
I noticed that part being subjective. I'm inclined to believe if the prosecution actually believed what Zimmerman did that night was stalking they would charge him with it.

They want this man behind bars, period.
This is true, however they could add it at a later date to bolster or support their case...

I'm still looking into the law surrounding witness testimony and whether or not a witness can be compelled to testify and what if any protection they could receive if they fear for their safety...it's pretty difficult in Florida to conceal witnesses identities over the age of 16...

I'm not an attorney, but thank you for the compliment....

Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Round and round it goes. IF GZ was acting as the NW capt. he should not have been armed, should not have followed TM AT ALL, let alone once the police told him not to. If he was acting as a private citizen, he cannot use the "NW Captain deserves respect" mantra to go off and shoot someone.
Exactly. I found a photo of the sign at the gate of The Retreat at Twin Lakes. Anyone who thinks Zimmerman followed the rules should read it. It says if you see suspicious activity to report it to the police. Period.

[url=http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/03/trayvon_martin_killing_george_zimmerman_was_part_o f_a_neighborhood_watch_do_those_actually_decrease_ crime_.html]Trayvon Martin killing: George Zimmerman was part of a neighborhood watch. Do those actually decrease crime? - Slate Magazine[/url]

I do have a question, however. Looking at this gate, there must be a code that opens it. Did Trayvon Martin use a code to get in? Did Zimmerman even bother to check or was he in such hot pursuit that he was more concerned about apprehending Trayvon Martin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies