Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the excellent link, FF5000! The author provides an astute analysis of the facts, and settles the question of why Corey went for 2nd degree murder. It never ceases to amaze me that some people are adamant in their believing Zimmerman's account of events, even when he's lied twice now that we know of. Had he been sworn in when he lied about knowing Trayvon's approximate age at the bail hearing? Does this mean that he's committed perjury already? Since many Zimmerman zealots won't bother to read the link, I'm posting this from the linked article:

[quote]
Fla. Stat. Ann. § 782.04(2). Second degree murder.—
The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life. [end quote]

Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
No you don't. If someone was following me, I'd call the police and have them arrested. Ask any police officer that question and see what they say.
Why did not Trayvor call the police?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM

[quote=Evenstar51;24078270]
Quote:
The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life. [end quote]
Which does not apply to a good samaratin defending his own life.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's entirely possible, IMO, that Trayvon was "looking around" because he was trying to find his way to the correct apartment.

We. do. not. know. who. started. the. altercation. If Zimmerman was on-duty as neighborhood watchman, he was violating their rules. But wait, he was going to Target! But wait, he was doing something else! His story is the sketchy one.

I had the same idea; as a visitor and on a rainy night, it may have been difficult to see where he was. In Zimmerman's call, he states that he isn't sure where he is: Odd for the NW "captain" who actually lived there. And you're right...we don't know who started the altercation, although Zimmerman is the one with the history of physical violence. Why anyone would believe him is beyond me...especially now that we've seen him lie. The State must have some hard evidence to go for 2nd degree murder.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM

Dershowitz: Prosecutor in Trayvon Martin case overreached with murder charge | Fox News

A political lynching of a hispanic man is all this is.

Quote:
Dershowitz leveled his bombshell charges in an interview Wednesday with Fox News' Megyn Kelly. The Harvard law professor, noted for winning an acquittal of Claus Von Bulow in the case that inspired the film “Reversal of Fortune,” said Cory overreached by charging Zimmerman with second-degree murder. And he said the affidavit she filed in support of the charges was illegal because it did not include evidence favorable to Zimmerman.

“This affidavit submitted by the prosecutor in the Florida case is a crime,” Dershowitz said. “It’s a crime.”
“If there are riots, it will be the prosecutor’s fault because she overcharged, raised expectations.”
- Alan Dershowitz, Harvard Law professor

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have the same right to follow suspicious individuals in my neighborhood. No statute is required to allow someone to do most of what we do in our daily lives. I can walk my dog in my neighborhood because there is no law prohibiting it. The absence of a law against it allows me to walk the dog.

This is pretty simple, folks.
Actually, someone posted a link about stalking laws yesterday on one of these threads. Following someone like Zimmerman acknowledged that he did, is illegal.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM

[quote=whogo;24078315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

Bullhockey. Read these the timeline link and the second link that FancyFeast5000 posted. You haven't read the 2nd one, or you'd know that what you say is incorrect according to Florida law. Trayvon Martin had every right to walk to the store and back without fear for his life.
George Zimmerman had no right to detain and question him; he had no legal authority at all. What he had was a gun with hollow point bullets; that makes him an armed aggressor, not a Good Samaritan.

The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design.

Trayvon Martin had done nothing in his short life to get the death penalty.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
[quote=whogo;24078315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

And where did you get that legal analysis of this case?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, someone posted a link about stalking laws yesterday on one of these threads. Following someone like Zimmerman acknowledged that he did, is illegal.
Absolutely right. This country is rapidly becoming a banana republic, where anyone can detain and question you while armed, when you're simply going about everyday life. That people believe that's acceptable says a great deal about how little they respect the Constitution. Had Zimmerman waited for the proper authorities to arrive, he wouldn't be in a position where his daddy can't fix his screw-up today, as he usually did.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM

[quote=Evenstar51;24078531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Bullhockey. Read these the timeline link and the second link that FancyFeast5000 posted. You haven't read the 2nd one, or you'd know that what you say is incorrect according to Florida law. Trayvon Martin had every right to walk to the store and back without fear for his life.
George Zimmerman had no right to detain and question him; he had no legal authority at all. What he had was a gun with hollow point bullets; that makes him an armed aggressor, not a Good Samaritan.

The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design.

Trayvon Martin had done nothing in his short life to get the death penalty.
No where in any link do I see where a concerned neighbor is prevented from confronting a suspicious individual. Please, show it to me. The fact is the right to a citizens arrest remains. Tailing a suspicious individual is a lesser degree of confrontation than a citizens arrest. I was at a grocery store today, a lady stopped me and asked if I knew where the avocados were, I did not viciously assault her and start banging her head on the floor.

Last edited by whogo; 04-29-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies