Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,200,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Non issue at this point. See how quickly things fade..call me when you have a verdict.
I have your number on speed dial...

Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,973,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The State can offer Zimmerman a plea deal at any time during the case.
I think I "misspoke" since I've posted many times that a lesser charge like manslaughter can be offered. I must have been thinking of something else. I'll have to go back and read my post.

Here's a link with a description of court proceedings from my county. I assume the county doesn't matter.

[URL="http://sao.co.sarasota.fl.us/legal.htm"]Steps In The Criminal Justice System[/URL]

DOCKET SOUNDING is the last effort of the Judge and the attorneys involved to schedule specific days and times for trials just prior to the beginning of the trial docket All victims and witnesses will receive a subpoena for a time certain when scheduled.

PRE-TRIAL hearings and DOCKET SOUNDING in Misdemeanor Court are similar to Case Management and Docket Sounding in Felony Court with the exception that, generally, the Judge will accept a Defendant’s plea of "No Contest" or "Guilty" at any of these times. When no such plea is presented, a trial date is set and victims and witnesses are usually notified by subpoena.

Quote:
We are just having fun. This thread will die a natural death when it's not fun or interesting for anybody any more.
Or it's closed by a moderator!

Last edited by justNancy; 05-10-2012 at 12:52 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 01:08 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,421,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I think I "misspoke" since I've posted many times that a lesser charge like manslaughter can be offered. I must have been thinking of something else. I'll have to go back and read my post.

Here's a link with a description of court proceedings from my county. I assume the county doesn't matter.

Steps In The Criminal Justice System

DOCKET SOUNDING is the last effort of the Judge and the attorneys involved to schedule specific days and times for trials just prior to the beginning of the trial docket All victims and witnesses will receive a subpoena for a time certain when scheduled.

PRE-TRIAL hearings and DOCKET SOUNDING in Misdemeanor Court are similar to Case Management and Docket Sounding in Felony Court with the exception that, generally, the Judge will accept a Defendant’s plea of "No Contest" or "Guilty" at any of these times. When no such plea is presented, a trial date is set and victims and witnesses are usually notified by subpoena.

Or it's closed by a moderator!
It seems that Docket Sounding is also called Calendar Call. The above definition is basically what it's all about, although I'm not so sure about it being a "last effort" to do those things for everybody. For example, Zimmerman is not even close to a trial. It really seems to be about case management prior to trial weeks. I've observed far more of those types of proceedings than I care to remember. They are chaotic, move very fast and there are lots of people talking and "working things out." No, it doesn't matter which county or circuit you are in; the procedures are basically the same or very similar throughout the state in felony criminal court.

And you're right, once a trial date is set, subpoenas, etc., go out to witnesses. There's a timeline for everything.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:25 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,762,699 times
Quote:
We are just having fun. This thread will die a natural death when it's not fun or interesting for anybody any more.
Is it any wonder, the same crap repeated over and over

Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Is it any wonder, the same crap repeated over and over
Must be an election year.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,200,989 times
GEORGE ZIMMERMAN DISCOVERY:
"The first round of discovery documents in the George Zimmerman Case are most likely to be provided to O’Mara Law Group on Monday, May 14. Public release of the of the discovery may be delayed as we may be filing a motion to further..."read more

It would appear that O'Mara is certainly a meticulous, thorough attorney and not about to rush into anything...

State v. Zimmerman (2012-CF-001083-A)

Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,928,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
GEORGE ZIMMERMAN DISCOVERY:

It would appear that O'Mara is certainly a meticulous, thorough attorney and not about to rush into anything...

State v. Zimmerman (2012-CF-001083-A)
Why should he? He bills by the hour.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Anyone who denies that there is a lot of hatred against Trayvon Martin and his grieving family should read the local newspapers.

[url=http://www.clickorlando.com/news/news/Trayvon-Martin-gun-range-targets-sold-online/-/9533136/13069306/-/10ffct0z/-/index.html]Trayvon Martin gun range targets sold online | news - Home[/url]

OTOH, the same people who are applauding the shooting of an unarmed teenager would be doing the same if Zimmerman was shot by a Caucasian male in the same situation. Then he would be the "thug."
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why should he? He bills by the hour.
The only legal case that takes 60 minutes to close is a drama on TV. The justice system is very slow.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,791,816 times
Lightbulb Evidence In Trayvon Martin Case Could Be Too Shocking! (DETAILS)

The Orlando Sentinel reports:
Defense attorney Mark O'Mara has said he expects to get his first look at the evidence today. He has also warned that he will likely file paperwork, asking the judge to keep key elements from everyone else.

Read more: Evidence In Trayvon Martin Case Could Be Too Shocking! (DETAILS) | Global Grind

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-18-2012 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: post a snippet, only

Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Well my .2¢ is that I hope the judge keeps the evidence under seal, at least until a jury is selected and either sequestered (which I think is likely) or sternly ordered by the judge to watch FauxNews with the instructions that the network's only purpose is to provide material for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies