Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,927,270 times

Advertisements

In any of the murders, besides Martin's, you cited was self defense or a stand your ground law an issue?

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,869,930 times
Yes, I like how you've presented two examples, one of them being this specific case which is anything but clear cut.

If this were about police conduct it would have died down by now. And go check the threads on this board alone, police conduct is mentioned a handful of times in thousands of posts. What a load of crap.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,401,125 times
I think many of us, quietly, understand all of the differences. Some of the differences make us sad, for sure. There are many variables involved in our violent society, and our hope is that they be treated individually, on a case-by-case basis. Again, sadly, this isn't always the case. But dwelling on individual cases, statistics, or just in general, won't help look at whatever problems we have in society.

The crime statistics year after year form the public's perception of how they feel about crime in general, and how their racial feelings have been formed. That's an entirely different, and complicated subject, and one many people are already aware of. Whether these perceptions are controlled internally, or form outward emotions, is best left to each and every individual. I feel sorry for any group that is painted with a broad brush, because there are always a large percentage of people within any group that are unfairly judged based on the actions of others.

Good people do good things, and good people treat others as individuals, without prejudice and malice. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad people that blow away people's happy bubble. That will always, unfortunately, be the case. Since we, as a society, will always treat groups as groups, the responsibility lies within each group to change the perception of their own group. Whether you be a banker, lawyer, convenience store clerk. Whether you be black, hispanic, white, Asian, it doesn't matter. If you have enough good people trying to create good, it generally works out better than giving the haters freedom to control your own destiny.

Our only power to create good comes from within, be it the family unit, friends and neighbors, schools and the workplace, athletic activities. These are the major forces that form and shape individuals lives. It's an age-old problem in all societies probably dating back to early man. Good versus evil, right versus wrong. Positive messages are better than negative. I'll leave you with that.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
I'm not going to cry about it.

You are seeing the consequence of someone's actions, before and after.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,966,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
And if he's wrong, it helps him how?
It doesn't really matter. He's getting paid, right or wrong.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,649,918 times
All of this is simply a smokescreen to keep you from the REAL news.

See when you OWN the Media you can control it from exposing you.

While they spend weeks on viewing this, America is being sold out from underneath your noses.

What is more important - Trayvon Martin case or American Sovereignty?

Back to bed America. Keep arguing back and forth playing their game.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,309,675 times
OP has many valid points, that being said, I'm Trayvonned out and will let the courts decide.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,852,051 times
I predict not too many will see your reasoning and will instead try to paint Martin as an aggressor.

But I do understand. My whole issue with this case from the beginning is the fact that Zimmerman wasn't arrested and I honestly don't feel he would have been if it had not been for the media circus. Many on these boards go on and on about black crime but black people are arrested for crimes no matter the race of the victims. I think every one, especially people who admit to killing another person, should be treated the same way by our justice system.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,741,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I predict not too many will see your reasoning and will instead try to paint Martin as an aggressor.

But I do understand. My whole issue with this case from the beginning is the fact that Zimmerman wasn't arrested and I honestly don't feel he would have been if it had not been for the media circus. Many on these boards go on and on about black crime but black people are arrested for crimes no matter the race of the victims. I think every one, especially people who admit to killing another person, should be treated the same way by our justice system.
Setting aside the TM case, you think everyone should be treated the same if they kill someone? So if a woman is being raped and she kills her attacker, she should then be tried in a court as well?
That's why you can't treat everyone the same. A victim shouldn't have to go through the expense and emotional distress of a trial when they were truly protecting themselves.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,852,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Setting aside the TM case, you think everyone should be treated the same if they kill someone? So if a woman is being raped and she kills her attacker, she should then be tried in a court as well?
That's why you can't treat everyone the same. A victim shouldn't have to go through the expense and emotional distress of a trial when they were truly protecting themselves.
She may not be tried, but she can and should be detained by police and an investigation into the death should be done. She should even be placed under arrest if that is what needs to be done to investigate the death. Lots of women kill men and say those men attacked them and that is found to be false. I don't believe our law enforcement should believe someone who kills another just because the killer gave a story about what happened.

I am a woman and I don't feel women should get preferential treatment in the justice system either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.